Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 455 total)
  • Spring Classics is upon us…
  • slowoldman

Another couple of good races.

crazy-legs

Off to the Ardennes Classics tomorrow for Amstel Gold. Technically of course it’s not *in* the Ardennes region but it’s lumped it with the other two cos it’s hilly and not far away… 😉

Amstel Gold Race Preview

Could be quite interesting and potentially a bit more open in the Men’s race cos there’s no MvdP, no WvA. But Pogacar is there, as is Tom Pidcock so I guess it’s a fair bet to pick a winner with the initials TP.

Preview of the Women’s race is here:
    https://procyclinguk.com/womens-amstel-gold-race-2023-race-preview/

Unlike the Men’s, it does have the full crop of stars there – AvV, Kasia Niewiadoma, Demi Vollering, Lotte Kopecky and of course Vos who won in 2021.

hightensionline

Life got in the way of a ride today, so Amstel Gold is on in the background; perfect conditions, as per!

crazy-legs

I’m off doing a race of my own so I’ll need the pertinent bits posted on here so I can catch up later!

stevious

I want a photo finish between benôit cosnefroy and Tom pidcock this year to truly blow a joke in the space/time continuum

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s quite amusing that UAE can sit back because they have someone in the break, yeah right the Pog monster aint going to ride for the win 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

greasy road wipe out!

Klunk
    Free Member

I didn’t realize Pog was in the front group! wtf is going on ?

theotherjonv

I note they didn’t wait for Pog, made him chase back on 😉

(like regrouping on the Sunday cafe run, that was ridiculously easy)

Klunk
    Free Member

Pogacar no mates 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

I note they didn’t wait for Pog, made him chase back on

Shows a lack of class, from them all.
    This Pogacar fella seems handy on a bike.

hightensionline

He’s definitely one to keep an eye on. He’s out of sight most of the time, admittedly.

Impressive ride from Healy.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks very local on that piece of road

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s a bookmakers nightmare !

DrJ

Pidcock cutting it fine !!

EDIT Amstel draft beer 🙂

slowoldman

Ben Healy does it again.

stevious

I want a photo finish between benôit cosnefroy and Tom pidcock this year to truly blow a joke in the space/time continuum

Photo finish camera but with astrophotography shutter speed.

crazy-legs

Well, my own race wasn’t anything to write home about but I’ve just seen the highlights of the Women’s race (5 min thing on YouTube) and read some of the Men’s race report.

Wednesday I’m “working from home” which will translate to “watching Fleche Wallone”.
    😂

crazy-legs

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/mur-de-huy-cycling

Cyclist have been bigging up this iconic little number.

My claim to fame is that I’ve ridden up that alongside Philippe Gilbert during a local Sportive. 🙂

Apparently a return to racing for Lizzie Deignan as well although Elisa Longo Borghini is the nominal leader of Trek-Segafredo on the startlist.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s “working from home”!

crazy-legs

Women’s race was good this morning, what a finish!
    Men’s on at the moment, 70km to go – UAE starting to set the pace now to control the break at about 1′ – 1’30”.

weeksy

thanks, i’d watched the Tour of the Alps, but forgot about this.

crazy-legs

thanks, i’d watched the Tour of the Alps, but forgot about this.

Tao is having a fantastic week!

crazy-legs

Holy shit, HOW fast is this??

Klunk
    Free Member

bosh and the break is done!

almost 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s toying with them now, his seated power is off the charts!

crazy-legs

Pidcock faded quite dramatically in the last 150m there, he was right up there then not.

Klunk
    Free Member

Same happened to the Pog monster last year 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s nice that he’s not bored 😀

DrJ

For a moment I thought maybe Pog is human. Then …

lunge

These performances by Pog, they feel somehow, “not normal”.

stevious

Trying to explain to my kids that there was a time when it was more than a week since pog’s last race win. They’re having none of it

lunge

I’ve spent so much time watching cycling, from the early Lance era and beyond and I want to be able to just watch it and enjoy it but Pog is making that hard.
    I don’t know, maybe I’m just old and grumpy?
    Mods, feel free to delete this comment if you feel it’ll take the thread off track.

crazy-legs

I’ve spent so much time watching cycling, from the early Lance era and beyond and I want to be able to just watch it and enjoy it but Pog is making that hard.
    I don’t know, maybe I’m just old and grumpy?

LA really only did the Tour though. A few other minor races here and there but not a lot.
    (That said, he did win Fleche Wallone in 1996!)

Pogacar is everywhere though, he’s doing Classics, Grand Tours, cobbles, hills, the whole works. That, to my mind, makes it much harder to believe he’s doping because he’s simply being tested far more, his whereabouts are known and seen…

What I’d argue is that it makes the racing a bit more dull if he’s just going to win everything although today’s race was very good to watch.

Tough call, I’d quite like to see some other riders able to take him on but I think he’s genuine.

crosshair
    Free Member

Today was just one of his DrISM spec training rides 🤣 Big day of Z2 with a quick Z5 effort to finish 😉

Spin
    Free Member

That, to my mind, makes it much harder to believe he’s doping because he’s simply being tested far more, his whereabouts are known and seen…

I’m not sure that’s great logic. With all the different products and the in depth knowledge of glow times etc I’m sure it’s possible to dose up and still get away with it. Not that I’m saying Pog is doing that but I’m just finding it really hard to have faith in him.

Plus it’s just bloody boring to watch.

fazzini

Tough call, I’d quite like to see some other riders able to take him on but I think he’s genuine.

TdF could be rather interesting though. Pretty much guessing it’s Pog vs Jumbo again. What’s been really great to see across all of the racing so far is how many UK and Irish riders are up at the business end of things. Seem to be lots more across the various teams over the last few years (outside of Sky/Ineos), rather than the odd one or two. Or, maybe, I’m just watching more races and they’ve always been there 🤷🏼‍♂️😂😂

stevious

I think Pog is only boring when he doesn’t have a rival at the same level as him. Watching him race the vans (and figure out how to beat them on their own turf) and seeing him keep trying to find cracks in Jumbo at the Tour last year has produced some incredible racing. It’s worth noting that a lot of the Ardennes Big Guns have been absent from this year’s racing and the presence of an in-form Alaphillipe, Roglič or Valverde might have made Amstel and Fleche a bit closer run.

I think Evenepoel will be there to defend his Liege title on Sunday which might make things more interesting.

stevious

Morning! It’s time for LBL today!

Here’s a little reminder of 10’ueara ago when a panda almost won:

Also, watch the end credits for an absolute banger of a theme tune for the race. If you’re not singing it for the rest of the day then you’re dead inside.

crazy-legs

I’m working on the CiCLE Classic UCI road race in Rutland today so not had any time to post anything about LBL!

Hope it’s a good race.

Klunk
    Free Member

will we get the signature Remco 45 min – 1 hour threshold solo effort/attack to the finish ?

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 455 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.