Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Spousal double standards
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Me – I’ve just ordered some new shoes like I said I was going to.

Her – How much?

Me – Two pairs for £40 (good use of sale hunting and voucher codes)

Her – Two pairs! Are you joking?

Me – No, I’ve had to throw two pairs away in the last fortnight because the soles wore through and water gets in.

Her – But two pairs, that’s very extravagant. Why do you wear shoes out so quickly? You only just bought those.

Me – Over two years ago actually.

Her – Well I think you’re being extravagent.

Me – Funny how you managed to hold your tongue when we spent double that on a new pair of running shoes for you before Christmas to replace a perfectly good pair.

Her – They needed replacing, I’ve had them too long, it said on the Internet.

Me – So why do you still wear them when your new ones are wet?

Her – Er…….it’s different.

Less than 20 mins later…

Her – Can I get these new work shoes? Mine are getting scuffed across the toes.

Me – How much are they?

Her – £60.

………

Grips my shit it really does.

Coyote
    Free Member

Two pairs of men’s shoes for £40? One pair of ladies shoes for £60?

We live in different worlds.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you saw some of the places I have to go into you wouldn’t buy nice shoes for work 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

I am not allowed to up the le creuset pans in the dishwasher and must wash them by hand, but when I am away with work my wife puts them in the dishwasher!

bencooper
    Free Member

You ask permission to buy clothes?

thegreatape
    Free Member

No. I tell her when I’ve bought stuff.

jimster01

Women have hormones,blokes have moods – grumpy/bad.

Never argue with the former,always accept the latter – makes life a lot easier.

scuttler

Two pairs in different colours and you’d have been on a winner.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assumed you were given them at work

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

None in our house. (I think I must have been very good in a former life 🙂 )

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m given a pair of wellies JY, but nothing else.

piemonster

I’ll find out Monday when the bike frame arrives if I’m in the same boat.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good luck piemonster. Have you gone for something the same colour?

MoreCashThanDash

Her: You must spend £50 a month on average on bike bits and cycling clothes

Me: About the same as you spend on clothes, shoes and handbags?

Her: That’s different.

The other current one while I’m off work is that I’ve been out for lunch with a few good friends who are making sure I’m not stuck at home feeling miserable. This gets disapproving looks while she tells me she blocked a 2 hour lunch in her work diary to meet a former colleague.

piemonster

Lol no, hideous garish orange/red.

My justification is I’m getting from fat commuting on the train and not doing any exercise. This backed up by actually getting fat. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Me – I damaged the demo bike so I ended up buying it

Silence – ah yes single life 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s quite a committed strategy for getting a new bike piemonster, not sure it would work here!

And silence, that rings a bell from the dim and distant past.

MCTD – ‘It’s different’ – said as if that somehow justifies the hypocrisy, when it in fact simply confirms it.

‘I might enter the Tour de Ben Nevis this year’

‘Why pay £50 to do that, you can ride that route any day you want for nothing’

‘I’ve entered a triathlon’

‘That’s nice dear’

‘It’s £50’

‘Right. It would have been nothing if you’d swum across that bay any other day. Bit like the Tour de Ben Nevis route’

‘That’s different’

‘The only difference I can see is who’s doing it’

‘You’re missing the point’

I have not yet been enlightened as to what the point I’m missing is 🙂

piemonster

That’s quite a committed strategy for getting a new bike!

In for a penny, in for a pound*

*of midriff lard

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m on a diet. I was going to work out how much I’ve saved not buying crap to eat at work and claim it for bike stuff, but if it means I might have to give a bike back… 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

Now even the STW server is joining in

‘Unable to connect to server – invalid argument’

Treacherous bastards!

singletrackmind

I got arrested by the police for assult. I was choking my girlfriend during an arguement and she called the police who arrived and arrested me.

Yesturday she asked me to choke her during sex.

FFS , Can’t we at least have some consistancy?

((. – Joke )+ bad)

piemonster

At the Great Ape 😆

I’m just going to step away from single tracks post and exit the thread quietly

thegreatape
    Free Member

All the best for Monday.

Scapegoat

Shoes and boots in this household as well. I buy a pair of handmade shoes every couple of decades when the old ones can no longer take a new sole, total cost about ten to twenty pounds a year based on my last pair of Loakes and including resoling. How can I possibly justify paying £200 for a pair of shoes? She on the other hand happily splurges 50 quid every few months on stuff that cannot be repaired and is fit for the bin.

pictonroad

I’m always amazed by these conversations, makes me realise what a great relationship I am lucky enough to have. I once went out and came back with a 6 litre V8 pick up truck. Eyes not even rolled. The idea that she would give the slightest tiny care about bikes or shoes!

trademark
    Free Member

I genuinely find it sad that people have to ask permission/negotiate to buy things with the money they’ve earned.
    I’m assuming it doesn’t mean the kids will go hungry or without the latest iphone.
    Life’s too short to purposely create friction.
    Tragic.

fasthaggis

pictonroad +lots

curto80
    Free Member

Personally I encourage my wife to buy as many pairs of shoes as she wants. It’s the perfect defence to the “you can’t possibly need another bike, you can only ride one at a time” accusation.

jamj1974

So glad I don’t have this issue.

Interesting though, we all most often seem reasonable to ourselves. What are we unreasonable about that we think is completely valid/appropriate when it is not?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not sure that in the grand scheme of things it quite reaches the level of a tragedy! Finite resources and different priorities – bikes / holidays / decorating / tools / how many dogs we need / new kitchen – mean differences of opinion are inevitable. But no, the kids don’t go hungry , although they buy their own iPhones if they want them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What are we unreasonable about that we think is completely valid/appropriate when it is not?

Standby jamj, I’ll just go and ask 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

It’s kinda the opposite in this house.

She frets about the cost of a riding lesson then the other day she asked if I was doing any UK enduros before Enduro2 in the Alps.
    Between the lads we’d decided that we would spend our seasons entry fees (and then some) on the Alps trip.

Her response ‘don’t you think you should get some race practice in though?’

I’m yet to broach the subject of shock/fork servicing costs.

trademark
    Free Member

@ thegreatape, ok, I realise that people need to budget their finances and I was maybe being a tad dramatic 🙄 but I guess as I’m very low rent in my living expenses (as is missus) we have enough leftover cash to not really have to think/worry about spending it.

And we’re not on good money, either

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’re fine, no dramas. I remember those days, fondly….

Really it’s no more than an anonymous mini-vent at the illogicality of the Home Secretary, knowing there’d be some kindred spirits on here 🙂

Sandwich

Well done for remembering when you bought the original shoes. If I don’t take pics and post them somewhere I’m knackered when the financial and fun director asks why I’m buying new. I do have a budget for bike stuff though that’s within £3 of the amount in the recent Road.cc article.
    There was some friction about this until I pointed out that the other transport in the family has a budget and bikes are my transport. All is harmonious now.

trademark
    Free Member

… I remember those days, fondly….

The opposite for us!
    In our previous marriages our partners were less than nice people and everything was a ball-ache.
    As long as we (my idea) have a certain amount of money in the bank then any sensibly priced purchases are fair game.

Can you not put segs in your new shoes to get more than two years out of them … ? 👿

thegreatape
    Free Member

Maybe, might negate the main selling point of crepe soled brothel creepers though (ok, desert boots, but nearly the same).

vickypea
    Free Member

Mr Pea and I spend quite a bit on bike-related stuff but not a great deal on other things. One of my friends at work was really shocked at how much I spent on Hope brakes and a fork service, but then I’m pretty sure she spends her money on things that I wouldn’t.

oldnpastit

Her: you should get some new shoes.
    Me: I hate buying shoes.

She then dragged me round a load of shoe shops and eventually forced me to buy some that were actually quite nice.

A few days later our dog ate them 🙁

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Financially no. My wife probably spend smaller amounts more frequently than me (she’s having her nails done at the moment) whereas I’ll buy something more expensive but not often. Really though, we’d rather travel and do things than buy things. We had an amazing trip to Burma in December but spent around £20 on each other’s gifts.

Farting however!!!! Apparently I’m a disgusting animal who shouldn’t be around people or allowed inside whereas hers are cute and never sm ell. Not exactly correct.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Spousal double standards’ is closed to new replies.