Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Spotify/Deezer etc – Whats Best?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Missus has promised me a subscription to Spotify/Deezer etc for xmas but not sure which (if any) is best or are they all much of a muchness? Will be streamed straight through my Sonos at home mostly – not sure if stuff is downloadable via either option??

Cheers
    Dave

mrchrispy

I’m on Deezer but only because I got it for 25 notes last Jan.
    Forgot all about it and have just been stung for 120 smegging quid!!!
    Not happy

mrchrispy

Apart from that its okay but I think spotify is slightly ahead

Jamie
    Free Member

Forgot all about it and have just been stung for 120 smegging quid!!!

You say stung, but is it not worth it? Look at it this way, it’s been £145 for 2 years 😉

I am also on Deezer. I am aware Spotify is the daddy of them all, but I just prefer the Deezer iOS app. Also the Flow feature, ability to add tracks to favs (rather than whole albums) and ban artists makes it better for me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you have sonos then spotify is very good. You can now play to the Sonos speaker direct from the Spotify app so you now can access all the spotify playlists and channels and browse via the nice spotify app.

You can download stuff to the iOS/Android app for offline listening too.

bonjye
    Free Member

As mrchrispy, I got a year free on Deezer with Sonos, then subscribed on an offer for a year at £50 and just been stung for £120 – I’d attempted to cancel too and my emails are going unanswered. Service is good- allows downloads etc and works seamlessly with Sonos, but watch out for renewals if you go with them. No experience of the others apart from a month’s free trial of tidal.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d attempted to cancel too and my emails are going unanswered.

You can cancel through the online account, no?

I just cancel via http://www.deezer.com/account/subscription and account will just run through to whenever the promo ends, and at that point the account reverts to a free one.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I did have Deezer with my EE contract but then lost it when I renewed so now got Spotify.

Much prefered deezer, I used the flow feature loads, and it would be pretty good at learning what kind of music you like via the like / dislike buttons.

Cant find an equivalent on spotify, it has the recommended for you but can’t see how to teach it what you don’t like?

sadexpunk

i use deezer purely for the black type on white background. when ive been looking at the spotify screen for a while my eyes go funny with shadows.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cant find an equivalent on spotify, it has the recommended for you but can’t see how to teach it what you don’t like?

Radio stations, either song/artist, is what you need. Bit more focused that Flow, as will play similar artists to what the original artist/song was, but that can be a good thing I guess. Also has thumbs up/down to learn your preferences.

bonjye
    Free Member

Jamie- yes, found that nice easy link after it renewed onto (an expired) credit card and after I thought I’d cancelled via their mobile site…. oh well!

It is a nice app, works well, flow is good, just no response to emails and difficulties cancelling leave a bit of a sour taste. Overall price for 3 years use not bad.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

I’ve got spotify family package £15 for 5 accounts so all my kids can have their own account and stop clogging up mine with their taste in music….

ransos
    Free Member

Spotify streams directly to my Cambridge amp. I like it.

stumpy01

OP, you can just download them both & try them for free before committing to one or the other. Just be aware of what the limitations of the free ones are before getting stroppy that they won’t let you do certain things.

Most of it will come down to personal preference & the free versions should give you enough of an idea to make a decision.

FWIW – I installed Deezer after a glitch with Spotify meant it would just randomly stop playing music, even though the app thought it still was; Spotify said it was due to my old phone & tough (even though lots of people with newer versions of Android seemed to be reporting the same problem).
    Deezer was awful on my phone though – kept crashing, really glitchy & constantly buffering when Spotify/Youtube etc would play seamlessly so I stuck reluctantly with Spotify, and they have finally fixed the glitch so it’s all good again.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tidal. Pays more to the artists than other sites, huge range, lossless music files for £20 a month.

DezB
    Free Member

Could be a cheap pressie – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-spotify-premium-a-quid-for-3-months

I’m using the 99p Spotify deal. I’m trying my best to like it. But I just don’t. I’ll use it to find new stuff to buy then cancel after the 3 months.

Thought you could save tracks locally, but it looks like only to play through the Spotify app.

On a positive note, I will say that there is a f of a lot on there. Nearly everything I’ve searched for has come back with results.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. I was kind of swaying towards Spotify and I think thats the way I’ll go and just cancel after the cheap trial period if I don’t get on with it…

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve got spotify family package £15 for 5 accounts so all my kids can have their own account and stop clogging up mine with their taste in music….

The family accounts, both on Deezer and Spotify, is where you really can get a decent deal.

It is a nice app, works well, flow is good, just no response to emails and difficulties cancelling leave a bit of a sour taste. Overall price for 3 years use not bad.

Oh I agree. Their customer service is atrocious. I was trying to find out some technical info, and I just had to give up in the end.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It does store “locally”, DezB (Offline store) like all the others, but you can only access the local files through the website app…

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I used to use Spotify free, never really liked it. Nothing specific, I just didn’t like the interface and apps.

Currently trialling Tidal (premium, not hifi) and getting on with it pretty well. I’ll probably keep on going when the trial ends.

stumpy01

To update my comment above – I did a factory reset on my phone over Christmas…..almost 4 years old and figured a wipe & start again might perk it up again.

I just re-installed Deezer & it now seems to be playing without issue.

Might try it free for a week or so in tandem with Spotify (which I pay for) and see how I get on….

DezB
    Free Member

It does store “locally”, DezB (Offline store) like all the others, but you can only access the local files through the website app…

In’t that what I said?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thought you could save tracks locally, but

It does store locally, but… 🙂

IHN

If you keep things locally you have to listen to them via the app.

DezB
    Free Member

In’t that what I said?

jp-t853

We did trials of a few and decided Deezer was the best. Spotify just did not work as naturally so Deezer has me exploring new music far more. Google music was awful to use we dropped it after a week despite having six months free.

We have two accounts for Deezer and keep getting three months for 99p by switching between the accounts and not logging on to the dormant one until the other three months is nearly up.

Apparantly if you use a vpn you can subscribe to these in South Africa etc. for a vastly reduced monthly rate

DrP

I really like Spotify, but why the **** can’t they **** have a pissing expletive language blocker.

I don’t want my bloody kids surrounded by foul language.

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

We have two accounts for Deezer and keep getting three months for 99p by switching between the accounts and not logging on to the dormant one until the other three months is nearly up.

Apparantly if you use a vpn you can subscribe to these in South Africa etc. for a vastly reduced monthly rate

£10 a month is really quite reasonable for 24/7 access to millions of songs delivered to several devices.

Why is it people seem so against paying for music, even when there is fair means of consuming it?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Spotify is great, their platform is crap. Hasn’t worked on windows phone for about three weeks now and no sign of it getting fixed.

ade9933
    Free Member

Spotify is great but we are leaving unfortunately as the kids are now getting in to music and we need a family product.

Apple music at least try to filter out explicit songs so the kids can browse and discover artists and check out curated playlists like “UK Rap” and I can see that 80% of the songs are blocked for them.

Spotify let everything through and just show the word “explicit” next to it but refuse to add any filtering (despite the 6000 comments on their forum requesting it).

The irony is that is that I probably wouldn’t have noticed if they hadn’t launched a product called “Family” and then not allowed children to register so more: “Flat share” than “Family”… which seems a bit short-sighted IMHO.

If this is not on your horizon though then Spotify is great. I download tracks to my phone and stream to the car or listen remotely as well as through Sonos at home. Apple music allow this too.

stumpy01

Does Deezer have an explicit music filter setting, then?

That would be handy…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I use Apple Music, it works well and is totally integrated into my iPhone / Apple TV.

Jamie
    Free Member

Does Deezer have an explicit music filter setting, then?

Nope.

Apple Music seems to be the best bet for those with kids.

stumpy01

Balls….not an Apple user and don’t really intend to start.
    Don’t understand why Spotify don’t want to implement it…

huggis
    Free Member

Not read all the posts but Spotify gets my vote. I have two high end hifi components that have Spotify connect built in and the quality (320kbs) and conevience trump anything else.

ade9933
    Free Member

Balls….not an Apple user and don’t really intend to start.
    Don’t understand why Spotify don’t want to implement it…

me too. seems crazy to ignore:

a) professional market where inappropriate lyrics are unacceptable
    b) the next generation of customers

ade9933
    Free Member

feel free to add your vote to the 7000 other votes… just don’t expect much progress. 🙂

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idc-p/1407697#M84990

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

quality (320kbs) and conevience trump anything else.

Except Spotify quality doesn’t actually trump everything else since both Deezer and Tidal have lossless options that Spotify lack

TiRed

Deezer has the better front end, music flows and family option. The family option can not yet be accessed by Sonos.

Tidal for sound quality.

ktaylor
    Free Member

While Google Music’s interface might be inferior I love the feature of adding your own albums.

I know Apple Music and Microsoft’s Groove have this function but the uploading just didn’t work half as well.

Also I like the little essays that Tidal music sometimes put on its own curated playlists. I also prefer their monochrome look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Spotify/Deezer etc – Whats Best?’ is closed to new replies.