Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Spotify – What is it and how does it work?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

No idea but never used you tube for music, is it any good? Why is it good?
    Spotify for play lists
    Pandora for random for me
    Don’t pay for either happy with ads and no offline and the quality doesn’t seem to be an issue for me

spooky_b329

I use Spotify by plugged my phone into my old Hifi and using the Wife’s tablet as a Spotify remote from what ever room I’m in.

However, I’ve seen some Google stuff on Chromecast Audio (or similar) being released, a £30 doodaa that plugs into your ancient Hifi and Wifi’s it, so now I can just keep my phone with me without using a second device to control the tunes.

sadexpunk

What’s the simplest way to get and play Spotify stuff through the system ?

not an expert so not sure which port youd use, but id say a simple jack lead from your phone to aux?

However, I’ve seen some Google stuff on Chromecast Audio (or similar) being released, a £30 doodaa that plugs into your ancient Hifi and Wifi’s it, so now I can just keep my phone with me without using a second device to control the tunes.

youll be on about this.
    interested in it myself, but when i think about it, ive got a chromecast (when it works) and my tv goes through my hifi so its either one or the other. i also quite like having the songs listed on my tv. for those with no chromecast, or happy with just the music, seems ideal.

iainc

^^^ that looks just the job, cheers.

Other question, if I get a Spotify account, can I access it from different devices ? (yes, luddite Q I’m sure …)

sadexpunk

Other question, if I get a Spotify account, can I access it from different devices ? (yes, luddite Q I’m sure …)

you can access it anywhere that has the app loaded, and you can sign in. so that maybe your phone/tablet in another country, or a friends house on his phone/tablet, just sign in to your account instead.

the-muffin-man

You can access your account from any device that has Spotify installed.

BUT you must remember to log out if a public device or mates computer. By clicking on your user name in the app it takes you to your account admin page without the need to enter your password again. Bit of a flaw in my opinion.

You can download playlists to 3 devices, but you can only play music on one device at a time.

peekay

“You can download playlists to 3 devices, but you can only play music on one device at a time.”

Not necessarily true.

My partner and I both use the same account and had a nightly battle when we both tried to use Spotify in each of our cars at the same time each evening. It would keep switching to her choice of music on both devices when she changed tracks, then mine when I wanted to skip.

We found a way around this by enabling the “private ” session mode on the App on one or both of the devices. The private mode only lasts for six hours at a time, but means that the device on which you are selecting music to play doesn’t notify all other on line devices using the same account.

doris5000

You can access your account from any device that has Spotify installed.

you can also control it from other devices. i plug the hudl into my hifi, and then control spotify with my phone from across the room – no third party apps needed.

One thing i was mulling over last night.

The ‘value’ thing – Spotify premium is £120 a year. Which many people think is a rip off, considering you don’t ‘own’ the tunes. The average Sky subscription is apparently around £600 a year (plus license fee) and you don’t ‘own’ that either, but there seems to be less of a perception that this is unreasonable.

Seems like an odd double-standard to me – personally i place more value on music rather than TV anyway. Do most people feel that TV content is more valuable than music?

sadexpunk

The ‘value’ thing – Spotify premium is £120 a year. Which many people think is a rip off, considering you don’t ‘own’ the tunes. The average Sky subscription is apparently around £600 a year (plus license fee) and you don’t ‘own’ that either, but there seems to be less of a perception that this is unreasonable.

Seems like an odd double-standard to me – personally i place more value on music rather than TV anyway. Do most people feel that TV content is more valuable than music?
    good question. can only speak personally, but if i decide i can work with, and get the use out of it, id happily pay the tenner. at present im ‘borrowing’ my bro’s acc to see if itll do what i want it to. hes on the old fiver acc so i cant save offline but at least i know i can do that if i make the jump.
    going back to your sky subs analogy, im probably not the right person to comment, as i refuse to pay them anything and i just use free-to-air tv with the licence fee obviously 🙂

musics far more important to me than tv (i could do without the telly but wife couldnt) and i spose it just takes a bit of getting used to that its not your music any more, you havent got that ‘shelf of vinyl or cd’s on display’ that define you 🙂

personally i think ill go for the tenner option in the end, ive tried spotify 2 or 3 times and always let it lapse as i didnt get the use, but now im getting the hang of it, if i can get it set up with my phone playing stuff in the car thatll be the deal-breaker 😀

EDIT: question on playlists….
    i sat here happily playing my 300 track BBC Playlister on shuffle through my hifi courtesy spotify and adding tracks daily. i cant imagine needing anything more, but i hear playlists are a big part of spotify.
    ive looked through my brothers many playlists and ok, i can see why hes got a lot of different ones (shared from other people), but are they only available to him as long as the creator of the playlists is a member?
    or if he likes say bob smiths playlist and adds it to his own, does that then become a separate playlist for him to keep no matter what bob smith decides to do with his life? 🙂

footflaps

“You can download playlists to 3 devices, but you can only play music on one device at a time.”

You can run on mobile devices (phones, tablets) completely offline for up to 30 days before it needs to re-validate your account.

So we can both use my account on our phones at the same time (using saved playlists). Just disable internet access for the App in Settings on iOS.

the-muffin-man

I know about the work-arounds for off-line, but I was trying to keep it simple.

Plus you have to go online to download new tracks, then you forget to switch offline back on, then you start playing in the car and your wifes stream at home switches off – cue sweary text!

So yes you can, but it can be annoying.

sadexpunk

You can run on mobile devices (phones, tablets) completely offline for up to 30 days before it needs to re-validate your account.

So we can both use my account on our phones at the same time (using saved playlists). Just disable internet access for the App in Settings on iOS.

I know about the work-arounds for off-line, but I was trying to keep it simple.

Plus you have to go online to download new tracks, then you forget to switch offline back on, then you start playing in the car and your wifes stream at home switches off – cue sweary text!

So yes you can, but it can be annoying.
    ah right, so am i right in thinking if youre using it on your phone all you need to do is switch ‘mobile data’ off, fire up spotify and 2 people can use it at once?
    interesting….

doris5000

, i can see why hes got a lot of different ones (shared from other people), but are they only available to him as long as the creator of the playlists is a member?
    or if he likes say bob smiths playlist and adds it to his own, does that then become a separate playlist for him to keep no matter what bob smith decides to do with his life?

If Bob Smith cancelled his account, presumably in most cases he would just stop paying for and using his account, it would just sit there and the playlists wouldn’t be affected.

But if you were worried that Bob Smith might delete his playlist, you can easily copy all the tracks into a playlist of your own – just CTRL+A and drag them across…

sadexpunk

If Bob Smith cancelled his account, presumably in most cases he would just stop paying for and using his account, it would just sit there and the playlists wouldn’t be affected.

But if you were worried that Bob Smith might delete his playlist, you can easily copy all the tracks into a playlist of your own – just CTRL+A and drag them across…
    thanks 🙂

just been out to the car and yes indeedy, i can play spotify through the speakers ok, so looking promising. all a bit higgledypiggledy with wires everywhere and not long enough at present, so i need to look at getting some longer cables from ebay or something. looking good tho 🙂

EDIT: any idea what the cable that goes from cars aux to phone is called please?

footflaps

Can you not use Bluetooth in the car?

sadexpunk

Can you not use Bluetooth in the car?

dont have bluetooth on the cars sound system.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s ruining/ruined music for me. Back in the day, I used to spend hours on the internet, searching out the latest/coolest/most obscure new music.

The satisfaction I used to get when one of “my” songs cropped up on TV or on the Radio; “yeh, I saw these play at the Night and Day Cafe three years ago…”

But now; Spotify has made the obscure easily accessible to your average music bore (you know the type; those whose best ever gig was “The Foo’s” at Glastonbury). I often find myself a target for these so called music fans; they’ll start a conversation with me….”Hey, I found this well cool band on Spotify last night” – I stop them right there “Err, no you didn’t; Spotify gave it to you on a plate!”

It’s absolutely shit to be honest. I believe you can’t listen to it unless you’re connected to the internet either. I personally use Youtube/SoundCloud etc. They’re run by the people, for the people. You/anyone else can upload whatever you like, and the comments feature is a great way of finding new music. Plus you can download it so you can listen to it whenever you like.

doris5000

But now; Spotify has made the obscure easily accessible to your average music bore (you know the type; those whose best ever gig was “The Foo’s” at Glastonbury). I often find myself a target for these so called music fans; they’ll start a conversation with me….”Hey, I found this well cool band on Spotify last night” – I stop them right there “Err, no you didn’t; Spotify gave it to you on a plate!”

don’t you just hate it when the plebs start finding good music 😡

the-muffin-man

How very dare they! Ooooooh normal people are so annoying!

raisinhat
    Free Member

Youtube…run by the people

?????
    Tell that to anyone who got a content ID takedown claim.

You do know that downloading music from youtube and soundcloud is basically piracy?

At least on spotify it’s the artist’s choice to have music on there, and they do get paid (a miniscule amount, I will admit, but still more than on the radio).

Bimbler
    Free Member

The best way to get Spotify into your stereo is

1/ Buy a Spotify connect amp/media streaming unit
    2/ This thing called Gramofon which seems to have expanded to a lot of streaming services

STATO
    Free Member

It’s absolutely shit to be honest. I believe you can’t listen to it unless you’re connected to the internet either. I personally use Youtube/SoundCloud etc. They’re run by the people, for the people.

Many posts above telling you how to listen offline.

Tried Youtube for music, found the constant adverts galling, and the money your making the poster is often not going to the artist.
    Not worked out how to get a good playlist going on Soundcloud without spending hours searching and adding tracks, does have a bit more from the smaller label bands though which is better than Spotify.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Another Taylforth classic, keep biting guys…

sadexpunk

1/ Buy a Spotify connect amp/media streaming unit
    2/ This thing called Gramofon which seems to have expanded to a lot of streaming services

isnt that gramafon thing just a bigger more expensive version of that chromecast audio jobbie? ^^^

footflaps

I love Spotify, am working through Toto’s back catalogue today at work….

Bimbler
    Free Member

isnt that gramafon thing just a bigger more expensive version of that chromecast audio jobbie

Pretty much, but it’s been around for a while now, isn’t google, supports AllPlay network (not sure if Chromecast does this) looks nicer, has an ethernet port and according to their website act as a wifi hotspot. But yeah could easily use ChromeCast Audio.

sadexpunk

dont have bluetooth on the cars sound system.

just been looking, would this bluetooth receiver work with my phone in the car? do away with at least one cable as it could tuck away in the armrest? (i assume bluetooth can be tucked away and doesnt need to be visible to what its paired with?)

iainc

been reading around at that Chromecast audio and can’t see any reason not to go for it with to adapt my Denon miniHiFi – any pitfalls ?

its this Denon hifi but with Wharfedale speakers

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got ‘car mode’ on my HTC One so can I play Spotify through the stereo, via Bluetooth, from my phone?

footflaps

I’ve got ‘car mode’ on my HTC One so can I play Spotify through the stereo, via Bluetooth, from my phone?

Should work.

stumpy01

sadexpunk – Member

just been looking, would this bluetooth receiver work with my phone in the car?

I think that would be fine in your car, so long as you have an ‘aux in’ headphone socket on the sterero?

Only thing that would put me off would be that it looks to be rechargeable with a USB charging cable supplied. The specs show 12hrs battery life in use, so depending on how much time you spend in the car you might need to frequently charge it.
    I average 10hrs commuting in my car per week, and I think I’d rather have a cable to plug in than have to remember to charge it frequently.

Although negating that somewhat, you could get a dual USB cigarette lighter insert thing and charge it from that but again you’re back to cables…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bravo Mr Taylforth!. 😀

stevied
    Free Member

Next stupid question…..

How do I get a playlist on my phone? I’ve downloaded the app (phone and PC) so can I create a playlist on the PC then move it to my phone? I’ve gone premium..

sadexpunk

How do I get a playlist on my phone? I’ve downloaded the app (phone and PC) so can I create a playlist on the PC then move it to my phone? I’ve gone premium..

you shouldnt need to ‘move’ it, it should be there when you open spotify on the phone.

Only thing that would put me off would be that it looks to be rechargeable with a USB charging cable supplied. The specs show 12hrs battery life in use, so depending on how much time you spend in the car you might need to frequently charge it.
    I average 10hrs commuting in my car per week, and I think I’d rather have a cable to plug in than have to remember to charge it frequently.

Although negating that somewhat, you could get a dual USB cigarette lighter insert thing and charge it from that but again you’re back to cables…..
    ahhhh didnt think of that 🙂 aye mebbes best to stick with cables 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Ah, yes they are. I’m guessing wi-fi is best to download to my phone?
    This could get quite addictive…..

footflaps

you could get a dual USB cigarette lighter insert thing

I carry one around in my school bag….

sadexpunk

just laying in the bath thinking about this……

if my wifi goes down im pretty screwed for music then arent i? yes i could download some favourites for offline use, but realistically im not gonna be fitting that much on a phone am i.

ill still probz go ahead, but its something i hadnt really considered til just now…..

miketually
    Free Member

Depends on your phone. Mine will take a pretty big memory card.

And if my WiFi goes down, which is rare, I switch to phone data or just don’t listen to music.

sadexpunk

thanks. it may pay me to start looking for a bigger sd card, ive had my 8gb card for years now, swapping between phones.

you wouldnt know the max size card an HTC M8 will take would you?

EDIT: i knew i shouldnt have looked 🙂 just been googling and apparently itll take up to 128gb but now im reading all sorts of things about ‘SDHC, SDXC, having to format cards to FAT32, no you dont if its an XC they need to be EXFAT’

ill probably just take a punt on a branded card from amazon and hope for the best 😀

stevied
    Free Member

I may be slightly addicted now…

I’ve got it on at work so any decent song I like I can just add it to the playlist.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Spotify – What is it and how does it work?’ is closed to new replies.