• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Spotify vs Deezer vs Tidal
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Just signed up for Spotify with the monthly plan to avoid the annoying adverts interrupting the music flow.

Interested in opinions on users who have compared the 3 music streamers.

Looks like the improvement in sound quality from Tidal might be a good choice for me, but is it worth the extra pricing?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tidal “lossless”here.

The difference is well worth the doubled-up cost AFAIK.  Having said that, I do have a very expensive home hifi, but I can also hear the difference also on my Samsung Note 4 with AKG noise-cancelling headphones.

I use the hifi company’s interface on my mobile to control replay at home.

The Spotify user interface is much, much better however and a lot of people untroubled by 320kbps replay prefer it for that reason.

The long-running rumour that Spotify are going to introduce their own lossless service at slightly less cost than Tidal persists, but it’s a long time coming.

I think Deezer do a lossless service as well but I can’t comment – my streamer only gives me the other two…

funkmasterp

I’m a big Deezer fan myself. I just prefer the layout, recommendations and the flow feature. They are all pretty similar though and it just comes down to which interface you prefer. One bonus of Spotify is that it seems to be the one with the most third party support. I have Audio Pro speakers and Deezer isn’t fully integrated with them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chvck
    Free Member

Tidal has the smallest library of the three (bear in mind it’s still a bloody big library) but has highest quality. Deezer has the largest library but I still use Spotify due to the recommendations and ease of discovery that it provides, however really high quality isn’t a big deal to me. As an aside, Google Music is about to be retired and become Youtube Remix I believe so I’d hold fire on that one for now if it was on your radar.

Another consideration could be that if you’re on 3 mobile and have Go Binge then Deezer doesn’t use your data allowance.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, will be looking at Tidal for the improved audio quality.

Have a Fiio X5iii with the Fiio E12 amp, using mainly quality headphones (Focal Classic ).

Jamie
    Free Member

Deezer have a 3 month trial for 99p if you wanted to try it.

https://www.deezer.com/en/offers

TiRed

Deezer for the various flows. Cafe Lounge for chilling out. Had Tidal, but seldom sat down at the Hi Fi long enough to benefit from lossless.

spooky_b329

I use Spotify but had a brief dabble with Google Music. I discovered more music and new artists with Google, but didn’t find it that intuitive and didn’t get around to building playlists and favourites etc. Spotify is easy but doesn’t seem so adventurous in offering new material based on your listening habits.

sadexpunk

deezer for the interface.  for whatever reason, the spotify interface, (white or green writing on black background) gives me ghosting in my eyes when i look away.

Sandwich

If you’re a Deezer subscriber then some of the remastered French origin music is superb. Someone has spent a lot of time and love getting it just right.

enigmas
    Free Member

Spotify for me, been using it for around 10 years now since it first released and so I’m just used to the layout more than anything else. The playlists and recommended artists is also great for finding new bands, and seems to have a lot of smaller indie bands than some of the other platforms. I’ve never had a problem with the sound quality, but I’m no expert in that.

I was a little annoyed when they doubled the price to a tenner a few years ago but that happened to tie in with me going to uni so the student discount brought it down to a fiver again.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Spent tidy sum on streamer so made sense to take up introductory free Tidal lossless. Very happy with quality vs. cost, though if others were to up the former I’d give it some thought.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Deezer user of 3 years here, 2 with the lossless option. Highly recommended and very reasonably priced. Use this promo link and it is oblo £15 per month for lossless and should also give you an option at checkout to pay £120 in one go for the year, so tenner a month! That’s same as normal Spotify

Denis99
    Free Member

Downloaded Tidal earlier, well impressed with the sound quality.

thanks for all the advice, sound quality is a step up on Spotify.

Caher

Against the trend here on stw as I signed up to Amazon music, I dont listen to enough to go full Spotify. Just use it to power my Sonos.

w00dster

Tidal for the quality, but it’s rubbish for playlists or random music. I still use it for home use where I know what I want to play, but for travelling where I want random music Spotify works so much better. For travelling in the car Spotify all the time.

sound quality is small but noticeable for me. But then you need decent headphones (or sound system) to make best use of it.

i have the family plan of Spotify so kids use it on their devices as well. Tidal is on my phone and really only used occasionally when I have no children about and want to listen indulge myself.

dinner parties etc, Spotify again.

chvck
    Free Member

Isn’t Amazon music the same price (2 quid cheaper if you pay for prime) as Spotify if you want to be able to access more than 2 million tracks of their library? I had a look and most stuff I listen to I’d have to pay to access.

henderson
    Free Member

I  always use spotify. There are everything what i want. Quality is very good. You can do list music, and listen what do you want. And price is not expensive.

doris5000

I’m on spotify and it’s good – but I recently ran up against their 10,000 saved song limit.

Which is annoying, because you don’t want everything in a playlist.

henderson
    Free Member

Sorry for the post, it was accidentally. And i don’t now how delete this post.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

I have been using Deezer for quite a long time. Overall I am happy. The library is great and the flow and recommendations are great.

I do have several gripes with the podcasts though. You cannot sync or download them. If you listen to part of a particularly long one (like all of the Dan Carlin history ones) and stop part way through it will remember where you left it. For some reason it tries to download it from the start though when you try to resume and if it doesn’t reach where you were when you stopped listening within about 20 seconds it times out. This basically means if you listen to a long podcast for more than about an hour you cannot listen to the rest of it.

It also lists podcasts new to old and doesn’t give the option to listen to them in reverse list order (or chronological order). This is very annoying because you cannot listen to several part podcasts in the order they were released.

I haven’t tried any of the others. Can anyone comment on if Spotify does podcasts better? I might actually change services.

Cheers

Mike

fifo
    Free Member

Tidal for me for the same reason as Woppitt. Excellent quality and great value compared to what I used to spend on CDs. Only artist I’ve found missing so far that seemed an odd omission was most of Suede’s back catalogue. Newest album was there though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Spotify family ..good enough for these cloth ears after years of misuse ..

Gunz
    Free Member

Mike, Spotify has all the Podcast functionality you’re missing on Deezer.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Spotify vs Deezer vs Tidal’ is closed to new replies.