Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spotify Premium
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I’m a little behind the times here I suspect, but just logged back in to Spotify after a 5 or 6 year hiatus and I can’t really remember how it all works. I only had free anyway and sort of drifted away when they started limiting your listening time allowed.

For Premium then, for £9.99 a month I can download as many tracks and albums I like to then listen on my laptop, phone or ipad offline? That sounds like a good deal! Can I then rip the tracks onto a CD (can’t think why I’d need to, but I’m a little old skool).

Educate me oh Spotify spods!

wwaswas

they’re only yours to listen to whilst you pay your £10/month is my understanding.

I did just subscribe last week and download a lot of stuff to my phone to see how I get on.

woody2000

You can’t transfer them onto CD, they only work through the Spotify app. I’m sure someone will have hacked it, or figured out how to record them to MP3 from your headphone socket etc, but essentially the answer is no. I’m guessing you have to download them on a device by device basis too – I have multiple devices and whilst I can see playlists/albums that I’ve downloaded on my main device, they are not made available offline on all devices as far as I can tell.

I love it, great way to find new music and downloading someone else’s playlists are ace for a lazy sod like me!

jam-bo

its cheaper than my wife buying shit albums on my itunes account.

martinhutch

Careful to check what phone you have before handing over any tenners. I logged on last week using my Samsung Galaxy Ace (low-end but not exactly prehistoric), was told to upgrade the software, then informed that, without any prior warning, that Spotify had decided not to support that system any more. Plenty of other phones with older processors are in the same boat.

Luckily I was due an upgrade anyhow, but it could be a PITA if you have an older phone you’re hoping to keep.

dknwhy

Yes but then you’re tied into it for life. What happens 3 years from now when you’ve got bored of Spotify and all the music you are listening to now is missing from your owned collection??!!
    I do the free account and listen to stuff to see if I like it before buying the CD or downloading on itunes.
    Half the fun of itunes is having it on shuffle and finding those random tracks from yesteryear that you forgot about…

Rickos
    Free Member

Yes, I see the catch there. I’d defo want to own it after I’d stopped paying Spotify. Looks like I’ll be in the loft this weekend to get my old CDs to rip onto the laptop!

I’ll stick with the free version for now then.

Thanks!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tied into it for life much the 500CDs i never ever listen to…

You can download the three devices and as long as you are listening in offlind mode they can be listened simultaneously.

My tablet is plugged into my stereo i use my phone app as normal but the music comes out my tablet.

My music is far more varied than it was with crap bits of plastic which do degrade.

Still have vinyl for audio nirvana naturally

miketually
    Free Member

What happens 3 years from now when you’ve got bored of Spotify and all the music you are listening to now is missing from your owned collection??!!

You buy it. Or, stream it on whatever new service is available then.

What happens to all the music on your CDs in 3 years from now when superDuperCDs are released?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What happens 3 years from now when you’ve got bored of Spotify and all the music you are listening to now is missing from your owned collection??!!

If I still wanted to listen to that music, I guess I wouldn’t be bored of Spotify.

I think of it as paying a licence to listen to (endless hours of) music, much like a TV licence. I don’t miss buying CDs and vinyl and discover a LOT of good music I wouldn’t otherwise find or buy.

wwaswas

I’ve taken the view that I’d get 1 or 2 CD’s for a tenner a month and it’s worth paying that to rent what they have to offer.

footflaps

Or, stream it on whatever new service is available then.

I can see the concept of buying music rapidly fading away, a bit like cassettes…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cassettes are still the best car format. Skip protection from annoying passengers.

miketually
    Free Member

A friend spent a fortune building up a huge collection of films and TV series on VHS;
    He then spent a fortune replacing them all with DVDs;
    He then spent a fortune replacing them all with Blu-rays.

Now, he has a NetFlix account.

footflaps

Long since binned all our VHS / DVDs etc. Can’t see the point, when I get 100s of Bluray films on one HD….

CountZero

You buy it. Or, stream it on whatever new service is available then.

Seems a waste of money, when I can find far more new music than I can currently afford to buy just by listening to 6Music all day for free, and Shazaming what I like.
    I refuse to rent music, that £9.99 equals around 120 single tracks, or twelve albums downloaded or bought on CD that are mine, over the course of a year, even if I lose network access. I can’t stream music during the day, in the car, or when I’m out around town, 1Gb/month data counts that out.

What happens to all the music on your CDs in 3 years from now when superDuperCDs are released?

Same as what happens to the CD’s I started buying in 1982, which I still own, and can still play, but which have been ripped into iTunes for ease of playing on portable devices.
    The CD’s meanwhile, still exist as emergency hard-copy back-up.
    There are a few, very few, which have been replaced with re-mastered versions, but I think I can number those in single digits, out of several hundred albums.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Countzero with premium you don’t need to stream during the day, Spotify comes with offline mode, keeping a local copy on your device.

“Owning” music is over. The music counts more than the format.

Spotify + Sonos FTW

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Spotify Premium’ is closed to new replies.