Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Spotify / Echo confusion
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

If I am out in the car, playing music on Spotify, and someone at home tells the Alexa to play something, my phone stops playing my stuff, and shows me what they’re listening to at home, plus the icon that tells me it’s playing through the Alexa. How do I stop it doing this?

Jamze

It’s because you’re only allowed to stream to a single device with a Spotify account. You can get it working using a family account and Amazon’s household feature I think.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Our Spotify account is the family one, but beyond that I’m baffled!

elliott-20
    Free Member

This is a long standing issue with Alexa, Spotify and family sharing that I posted on the Spotify forum about 5/6 years ago and is still yet to be recognised, despite hundreds of replies complaining of it and asking for it to be resolved.

The only way I resolved it was to use the spare seat on the family Spotify account and give it to ‘Alexa’. That way, whenever something is played on an Alexa device it doesn’t interrupt the main account. If we want to listen to something specific we just use the Spotify Connect feature. A bit of a faff but it works this way.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thank you, I’ll look at that.

swavis

Google does this too so it’s not just an Amazon thing. Luckily my voice control overrules all 😁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Doesn’t it mean that your Alexa is using the same account/email address as you are on your phone.
    (Spotify family is 5 email addresses as far as I remember – Alexa is one of your family)
    You need a different address on the Alexa.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hard to decide which child to eliminate from the family to make room for Alexa. But, needs must.

Cougar

Harsh but understandable. Did you go for adoption or patio?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can’t afford the dowry to have them adopted so it’s going to have to be the patio

stumpy01

@swavis – have you setup voice recognition on your devices?

If all users set it up & you use Spotify Family, it should recognise the specific user & use their Spotify login, rather than nick yours.
    Doesn’t always work, but most of the time it does.

spacemonkey

Had that and many other issues with Spotify and Alexa for 2-3 years. Neither party seem interested in getting along despite many complaints from people. So we switched to Apple Music and so far so good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spotify / Echo confusion’ is closed to new replies.