Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Spotify alternatives
  • pondo

I know it got mentioned in the coronavirus thread, but I’m looking to switch from Spotify, partly because of their decision to effectively back their covid misinformation superstar Rogan over Young and Mitchell, but also because of their long term committment to miserly artist payments whilst paying their execs a fortune. So, who’s good to switch to? And if there a way of extracting my Spotify playlists and favourites without just writing them down? 🙂

MSP

You can use soundiz.com to synchronise playlists and music collections between most of the major apps. I used it to import everything from itunes when I started using spotify, just paid for 1 months subscription.

I think that pretty much all the major streaming services pay the artists similar amounts (one of them I think has selling point of giving artists more money, can’t remember which though), if you want to support an artist above that buy the album or watch them live.

kimbers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    convert

Embarking on signing up more of my income to Amazon from Spotify feels a bit frying pan/ fire from an ethics perspective. But there not seem too much point in these artists pulling away from the service if the fee paying punters don’t follow.

winston
    Free Member

Apple Music and tidal pay the most to artists which is double the amount Spotify play. Plus the quality is much better – Spotify can’t even manage to launch a hi fi tier

redmex
    Free Member

Tidal is fairly good and you can carry your playlists over, I’m only paying a £1 per month for 90 days then maybe back to Spotify
    How many folk stop drinking Coca cola/Schweppes ?
    They grab lots of fresh water from poorer countries to sell on their sugary fizz

Sandwich

Deezer as the money and date stays in EU. Plus they have a hi-fi tier.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I liked Deezer more thanTidal for the UXI and better algorithms for similar/associated artists. But I like Tidal’s Master or HiFi quality option where available. Currently using Tidal for a couple of years now. Very few issues. Maybe the once in a while a small millisecond skip/latency in a stream.

For some reason I thought Deezer had more choice but it seems I was way out on that one? ie

https://www.audfree.com/tidal-music/tidal-vs-deezer.html

Part 3. Tidal vs Deezer: Music Library
    When it comes to Tidal music vs Deezer music, both have millions of available tracks. Official figures show that Tidal offers 70+ millions songs while Deezer collects 56 million tracks, playlists and podcasts. So to speak, Tidal almost covers almost all types of music on various filed. Both what you find and don’t find on Deezer can be serached on Tidal.Given this perspective, Tidal gives the edge over Deezer.

kayla1
    Free Member

Me. See also Nestle and Cadbury (since it was taken over) and any other company with shitty ethics.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I use YouTube music which has the advantage of allowing you download stuff from YouTube as well. But I also like to buy physical albums from artists I really like.

baggsie
    Free Member

+1 Youtube Premium – get youtube ad free & unlimited music (including all the bootleg & live stuff that’s on normal YT).

dannybgoode

Qobuz for me. Much nicer to use than Tidal imo and Deezer/Amazon don’t work with Roon so they’re a non- starter for my system

p7eaven
    Free Member

Is the ‘point’ that many people don’t buy ethically, so why bother?

darthpunk
    Free Member

As it was pointed out somewhere today, you can listen to Gary Glitter on Spotify, Eric Claptons not exactly keeping his gob shut on current medical events and it’s well documented that certain members of 70’s bands shopped in the kids section. But a podcaster who voluntarily gets kicked in the head as a hobby and claims that horse piss or something can cure Covid, that’s the final straw?

You could try here:

https://www.list.co.uk/article/120674-15-record-stores-in-the-uk-to-visit-in-person-or-online-this-christmas/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Spotify alternatives’ is closed to new replies.