Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Spot the Mod – Pitch Content
  • Olly
    Free Member

wow thats pointless!

at least you got rid of those pretend pikes that come on them 😉

“good to see a stock bike coming with some nice high end forks like pikes”

some review i saw said.

other than being the same chassis (lowers and stantions), how, exactly are those OE travisties anything like pikes? :p (troll)
    its like saying a 2CV is ACTUALLY a Lomax…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Flamejob, next time you get an idea like this just email me direct, OK?

The philistines just don’t get it….

🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

^^

huh?

so the pikes that come with the pitch arent pikes? now im confuddled.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Fantastic! – Don’t listen to all the moaners, I reckon you’ll spark off a whole new niche trend.

Olly
    Free Member

they are OE aphex, (original equipment)
    will have been made especially for speccy in a batch of a few thousand, and dumbed down a bit to keep the price down.

which is fine! gear like that keeps the price of bikes down, but it irritated me marginally when they won a review comparison based on having “non OE forks” when they blatently are.

compare a pair of “Pitch Pikes” with some aftermarket pikes, and they are rather different forks.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So then these wonderful bargain Pitch Pros are not such a bargain as the forks are shite and need to be swapped out?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

*** goes all misty eyed ***

I remember going to a VW meet. There were loads of nice modified cars around, as usual, and in comes this rather standard looking dark green Beetle. Everyone ignored it. I spotted the bloke had his engine cover open so went over for a chat, because it’s spotted it wasn’t quite what it seemed. It was fairly tidy, a ‘daily driver’ so to speak. poking out from the back were 2 standard looking exhaust pipes, the wheels looked like standard steel ones (But wider). It rode a bit lower, like a lot of Beetles.
    After a brief chat with the owner I learned the engine was virtually a top-spec race engine, 200+ bhp, titanium con rods, custom machined parts, the lot. It had a five speed close ratio box, fully adjustable suspension, again, virtual race spec, all custom made. It sounded fairly quiet, just very bassy and tight for an air-blower and it revved more like a motorbike engine.
    The owner loved it. It was silly fast and had the potential to show up a lot of so called ‘peformance’ cars.

That was a real sleeper.

We are accustomed to making mods more to show off than anything else, most people don’t understand why you’d want to keep them under wraps.
    It’s a style I love.

😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

compare a pair of “Pitch Pikes” with some aftermarket pikes, and they are rather different forks

Go on then, elaborate…

No adjustable floodgate, different steerer (nothing that makes much difference), anything else?

🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

We are accustomed to making mods more to show off than anything else, most people don’t understand why you’d want to keep them under wraps.
    It’s a style I love.

But it’s a frikkin mountainbike designed to be used in mud and ridden on rocks, not something to preen and show boat with.

flamejob
    Free Member

The ‘Hybrid’ Pikes on the Pitch Pro are arguably better than the 409 Retail ones. They have the same damper assembly but without the floodgate. The good thing is they have an aluminium steerer. I think Specialized did an awesome job on the bike and it’s not like they hid the fact they are different, they have a 361 sticker on the brace.

But it’s a frikkin mountainbike designed to be used in mud and ridden on rocks, not something to preen and show boat with.

Exactly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Egggg-zakky!

Yet we’ve all done just that…. This is the opposite: Modified & improved, yet looking standard.

🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I had a Grifter that was sprayed yellow, and had Bultaco stickers on it, when I was a kid.

That out-modded those silly forks, by a very, very long way.

My Road bike has Max Power stickers on it, which also out-mods those forks.

MussEd
    Free Member

Still don’t get it, must a philistine I suppose? Is it just so YOU know that you’ve bought a cheapish bike but spent more money doing it up, without broadcasting the fact?

Then posting pics on here asking people to guess what the sublty-hidden modification might be? At the same time giving pointers to narrow the area of said modification down a bit? Thereby, making a no-so-subtle statement about the modification?

I can understand trying to do a subtle, yet performance-enhancing modification. I can also undrstand folks who want to advertise their big budget modifications/upgrades.

I CANNOT understand someone wanting to spend money on something, trying to disguise it as the original part THEN feel the need to draw folks’ attention to it, so everyone knows what the subtle modification was?

Each to their own, but I think pointless, vainglorious waste of time/money/effort/paint/stickers.

titaniumlover
    Free Member

its quite simple, he’s gone to the effort of making his bike look understated and subtle, the fox graphics suck but are better forks…

good man. bit of fun too, who doesn’t love fiddling with their bikes!?

flamejob
    Free Member

RudeBoy, watch the Rad Meter. You always want it 100.99% over extreme or else it’ll blow.

MussEd
    Free Member

Flamejob – if you’d mentioned the Rad Meter at the start I’d probably have been more into it! If all this was to make your “rig” Sick to the power of rad then all is forgiven…dude.

flamejob
    Free Member

Flamejob just found two litres of Rad in his wardrobe. He plans on having it all today.

later Flamejob challenged himself to an endo-off and won in straight sets.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

^^ After a stewards enquiry it was found that he’d been taking the banned substance “Rad-plus” and he’s now been relegated to second.

titaniumlover
    Free Member

is it too early to suggest that flamejobs bike could cure aids?

grumm
    Free Member

Can’t believe you did such a pointless thing but kept the horrible saddle!

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s certainly an ammusing thing to do, I kinda like the idea.

In some respects it was very much like the last non comapny car I owned, very subtle black all over, with carbon bits and then slightly bonkers underneath which you’d only notice if you looked properly.

When/if I fit the 36 Van’s to mine I am considering spraying them Ice white and putting newer stickers on them (is it easy to do?)

I’m not aiming for Rad to the power of Sik, but just minor radness 😆 And I like white forks.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

So that fairly new bike is on it’s 3rd set of forks?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Flamejob just found two litres of Rad in his wardrobe. He plans on having it all today.

Yeah? But I just drank a gallon of sick…..!! Raaagh!

….Oh…. Err, that doesn’t sound so good really, does it?
    😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Have you invalidated any warranty by doing that?

Oh they are fox’s, they dont come with a warranty do they 😉

flamejob
    Free Member

Why would I want a warranty? I never ride the thing. I just paint it and stick stickers on it then leave it in my bedroom. Geeesh.

I’m doing my nails as we speak.

finbar
    Free Member

I like it, but as for being a “sleeper” that would only work if they were done as Judys or something similar. Pikes are great forks anyway.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Made me laugh, this thread.

Wish I still had my Grifter Bultaco…. 🙁

timdrayton
    Free Member

fairplay, and i dont understand the naysayers.

I dared to sticker up a mint airborne ht with van nic decals (same frame and company as used to be Airborne, they even still up hold the airborne warranty), oh the vitriol! Its a fake, etc etc

I did like druids custom decals too

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to get rid of the Specialized stickers too and put “Orange” on it. Just for fun, like.

8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just think there’s something nice abut keeping the provenance of stuff and not hiding it, but I like stuff to be “original” generally.

matt_outandabout

I think there is fun to be had here….(with graphics n logos n stuff)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I did like druids custom decals too

What, the ones that say ‘onion’?

MicArms

I’ve got a new shiny pound coin here, would any one like it to buy themselves a new life?

steve_b77
    Free Member

aphex_2k – Member
    I’d be tempted to get rid of the Specialized stickers too and put “Orange” on it. Just for fun, like.

Nah, I’d definatley put Apollo Stickers on it 😆

Harking back to the car thing again, I remember a EG shaped Civic Hatch from the states that ran on Steel Wheels, boggo bottom of teh range bumpers etc and would rock a high 12 second 1/4 mile, now thats a sleeper

titaniumlover
    Free Member

🙂 amused.

rOcKeTdOg

worth doing just to wind up the usual people on here,who have bitten as always, even if it is a bit easy nowadays

flamejob
    Free Member

*thinking of putting the reflectors back on and entering a DH race

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

*thinking of putting the reflectors back on and entering a DH race

Like the idea…
    8)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m already planning the ultimate.

Develop & sell a complete 5/6″ travel bike for less than the majority of 5/6″ travel smaller brand American/Canadian/British/Andoran Frames cost, spend a few quid on it and unleash it on the world and cause utter up-roar when it’s rated as ome of the best bikes out there. Mwhahahahahahaha 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

[cars]
    There’s a forum-load of people in the US and Canada who drive crappy mid 80s diesel VW Rabbits that have been modded to give 230bhp+ and 0-60 times of around six seconds. Then they drive around the streets looking for boy racers in Civics and the like that they can leave for dead.
    [/cars]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Spot the Mod – Pitch Content’ is closed to new replies.