Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Spot Brand bikes carbon frame failure
  • dumbbot

at 7.25

https://spotbrand.com/

I’ve never heard of them but that looks bad, it could’ve been alot worse as well.

(posted from a laptop because the wonders of STW forum wouldn’t let me via my phone)

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

“Never mind about the bike”

And they call themselves mountain bikers?

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

Sounded like it had been hit a few times on that ride with all the rocks. Unlucky really though.

dumbbot

Freaked me out a bit as i’ve not seen such a catastrophic failure when just riding along, sure he was giving it some beans but not like he was doing 10ft hucks to flat. Fair enough it was a rental bike so previous history and maintenance is unknown quantity and yes it was a rocky environment(it is mountain biking after all)

It’s not like i can afford a carbon wonder bike anyway but it certainly make me think whether i’d want one.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

6min44 – “Oh man is my tyre low? That felt really weird.”  No mate your frame is busted. Best not sprint down a rocky track, then do a dro…. oops.

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

Willing to bet a rock come up on the wheel and landed on the lower linkage just as it was compressing making a nice big crack which failed later.

Its no surprise I guess, that is the inherent issue with carbon (It doesnt do impact damage very well). Sort of a freak accident but at the same time possibly more likely in that frame design.

mikewsmith

Freaked me out a bit as i’ve not seen such a catastrophic failure when just riding along

Both chain stays snapped on one of mine just riding along/popping off a tiny rock

It’s not like i can afford a carbon wonder bike anyway but it certainly make me think whether i’d want one.

Aluminium fails just as catastrophically

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

It’s not like i can afford a carbon wonder bike anyway but it certainly make me think whether i’d want one

Frames of all materials break, best not buy any! 😀

vmgscot

He had a couple warnings earlier in the ride/video “that didn’t sound good” and “something doesn’t feel right” so I suspect issue had happened much earlier. If he had stopped and did a visual check at that point there would possibly be some sort of indication of impending doom – paint flaking, etc.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

The “warnings” were edited out of what was presumably a load of ride footage… probably only obviously of concern with hindsight. Anyway… “hi Mom!” And frames of all materials have failures, natch.

paton

Stuff breaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoV2yliPmK4

walleater

God clearly struck him down for doing such a crap Jesus impression.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spot Brand bikes carbon frame failure’ is closed to new replies.