Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sporty hatchback for around £5k
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Wife looking at getting the above, though in truth it’s me that’s after the sporty bit.

Front runner is a Smart Brabus Forfour, had one before and they look good, are fast, cheap to run, and interior is better than anything else close in price.

Cooper S, had a couple years ago and they’re great fun, could get either a Works or a Convertible, either of which would be nice. But they are pretty thirsty in supercharged guise.

Clio 197, love the looks but would buy with around 50k miles and I’d be worried about build quality and longevity.

Civic Type-R, had a few type r’s over the years and they are great cars but it would be a bit over budget and I’m getting to old to have to rev the hell out of it to have fun in it, though they’re great when in the mood.

Not after a diesel as I already have one so VRs is out.

What else should I be looking at…?

jam-bo

I know its a diesel, but I really like my A3 TDI Quattro Sport.

seba560
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lasty
    Free Member

Mateys got a 2 ltr skoda (fabia??) – rally driver for years and really rates it as a quick roadcar, even with the wife & 2 kids aboard …

titusrider
    Free Member

Might get close to a 147 GTA for that if you really want to scare yourself 🙂

Pieface

Renault Megane 225 should be available for about that much.

Not the best hatchback in terms of boot space.

djglover
    Free Member

Might get a Leon FR or cheap Golf GTI in budget?

richmtb

Leon FR’s will be down around 5K now (the one based on the Mk5 Golf Gti)

Older shape Civic TypeR would be my choice but you would need to be careful as a lot will have been thrashed

hora
    Free Member

Why not a Ibiza FR?

stumpy01

Ibiza FR should easily come in on budget…although saying that, so should the Cupra and that’s got the 180 BHP version of the 1.8 in it.

Interior nothing to write home about…

johnellison
    Free Member

Alfa GT or (early) Brera?

withersea
    Free Member

well specced mini one convertible chipped to cooper spec, cheap to run and insure with chip declared (adrian flux) nd great fun in the sun. I really miss ours 🙁

milky1980
    Free Member

If you like the Brabus ForFour, what about the Mitsubishi Colt RalliArt. 1.5 turbo engine and handles like a go-kart!! Sister has one and it’s ridiculous fun and very practical. Or a standard turbo (no bodykit) for a stealth look?
    Runs on the same chassis, suspension and engine as the Smart, just a different body and interior. Cheaper on insurance too.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Should get a mint Clio Williams for that money
    Don’t be out off by the only 150bhp they fly and

hora
    Free Member

Fiat Barchetta

nicko74

Civic Type R will be quite uncomfortable though, if it’s the wife’s who’s mainly driving it, cause of the suspension.
    Focus Mk1 ST170? Late Clio 182? As you say, build quality perhaps not the best, but a great little car.
    Ibiza would sound like a sensible option from those listed above, but I can’t comment on the Smart as I’ve never driven one.

legend
    Free Member

orangeboy – Member
    Should get a mint Clio Williams for that money

not exactly something to use as an everyday car though, more for folk that are happy to tinker a lot

Late Clio 182? As you say, build quality perhaps not the best, but a great little car

£5k would buy you a mint Trophy with change left over. 197 might be a good compromise as it’s a lot more grown-up than a 1*2, £5k would only get an early one though.

angeldust
    Free Member

If you’ve only got £5K to spend, my honest advice would be to forget about anything sporty.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

+ 1 for the 147 GTA, epic car with the best sounding engine ever!

loddrik
    Free Member

If you’ve only got £5K to spend, my honest advice would be to forget about anything sporty

Why?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you’ve only got £5K to spend, my honest advice would be to forget about anything sporty.

The “sporty” cars i’ve bought from people on pistonheads have been some of the best maintained and reliable cars I’ve owned because they are often owned by people who really like cars. Trying find non-sporty 1.6 Ford Focus or something with a similar service history and an enthusiastic owner is a lot more tricky.

hora
    Free Member

I still regret not buying Lee Muff’s V6 Mondy 🙁

faz083
    Free Member

Just bought (1 hour ago) an Astra SRI Turbo, 2.0t, 50k, fsh, exterior pack, very good condition…, bang on your price. It looks amazing.

Every car I have bought in the last two years (4!) has been under 5k, hot hatch, and in very good condition.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My Clio was a lot more reliable and easier to live with than
    the Audi a4 estate that I replaced it with.

Tyres did not seem to last to long on the Clio though

bigyinn
    Free Member

IIRC the smart 4four is based on the Mitsi Colt. In fact TG reckoned that the Colt was better value and nicerer.

MMMmmm Alfa 147GTA does indeed sound VERY nice.

captain-slow
    Free Member

how about this?

golf gti

hora
    Free Member

Newshape Leon 2.0tfsi

v10
    Free Member

Toyota celica T-Sport 190? Coupe, but still sprt of a hatchback! Cheap as chips for what they are and they still look fresh.

Megane 225 is in budget but having had one of those and an R26 230 I’d be trying to find another grand for a decent r26.

vondally
    Free Member

maybe a bit small

lupo gti

intresting

skoda fabia vrs

mitsihbusi Colt CZT

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sporty hatchback for around £5k’ is closed to new replies.