Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sportstracker is android any better than symbian?
  • antigee

lost my polar speed computer so gone back to using Nokia (symbian) sportstracker to get at least av speed – seems more accurate than a few years back but am getting consistently wrong ascent/descent figures

eg yesterday 250m ascent – at most 20m ascent then downhill beside river with no ups and downs sunday about 2000m of ascent decent when i’d expect 500m at most and checking with mapmyride gave just over 450m

so i’m thiunking about getting rid of the nokia as other than the convenience of size its a bag of …. so is sports tracker on android any better? and anyone got one of the new HRM’s ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not tried it on Android but using Strava now – I think the hight is recalculated on upload against where you went so at least sanity checked.

antigee

I think the hight is recalculated on upload against where you went so at least sanity checked.

that makes some sense – switching to strava is probably the solution i’m looking for – though i see there is a statement on website saying some android phones specifically not supported because of gps issues – i can see this ending up as iphone and strava

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

though i see there is a statement on website saying some android phones specifically not supported because of gps issues – i can see this ending up as iphone and strava

Bit of a leap there. HTC Desire perfectly fine, Samsung Galaxy S3 absolutely fine. HTS Wildfire not. Just have a google. Plenty of reports of Iphone/strava issues to.

If your serious have a look at the Garmin Edge though.

antigee

If your serious have a look at the Garmin Edge though.

thanks – i’d sort of ruled out because like convenience of phone in pocket and its always charged up etc

the polar i’ve lost had cadence and i miss that plus used on turbo so maybe go for an Garmin edge as guaranteed to do the business

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve been using a phone for years and never really wanted the extra hassle of the other device but I’m coming round to the idea mostly due to battery life and having the stats on the screen on the bike. Worth checking if the garmin uses the polar cadence sensor, the HR one is out though.

antigee

forgotten about the battery life issue with gps and smartphones if you use the display continously – do some longish rides and don’t want to faff with spare battery and def’ don’t want dead phone as have to be in contact so crazey logic decided to repace lost Polar CS100 with a CS400 which at just over £120 from some discounter in Spain – the CS400 has altitude gained function – won’t be as accurate as the Garmin but better than sportstracker and i don’t need to buy new cadence and HR bits but will have to buy the bizarre infra red dongle to download data though most of time interest is just how hilly was the ride

thanks for input

stumpy01

Isn’t the elevation calculated from the gps, rather than a more accurate barometric measurement, so is never going to be very accurate.

Try a different app. I used My Tracks & then swapped to Sports Tracker as lots of people were saying how good it was. But, I found it gave a very intermittent trace, with large gaps even across open ground. Swapped back to My Tracks and all good again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hence doing the clever mapping bit of working altitude from the map data based on GPS route.

alisdairv
    Free Member

Hi there,
    If anyone could possibly please send me any old generic data from a polar computer I’d really appreciate it: alisdairv[at]hotmail[dot]com. After xmas when I’ve got a bit of time I’m going to be trying to make an little c# application to do a better job of processing the data for a uni project. Obv I’ll keep you posted on progress and you’d be welcome to a copy of my finished product.
    Ta muchly
    AV

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sportstracker is android any better than symbian?’ is closed to new replies.