Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sports tracker type watch.
  • Davesport

Mrs Davesport would like one of these from Santa. She doesn’t need anything massively complicated. I was thinking about one of the Garmin GPS watches. Time, distance, HR etc.

Any recommendations ?

TIA, Dave.

jamiep
    Free Member

Garmin Vivoactive HR. Not the cheapest – depends on what she’ll use it for. expensive if she just wants an activity tracker. I use mine for training while cycling

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yesterday I read the Fenix 3 thread and as a consequence today I am sporting a Garmin Forerunner 235.
    Very nice and £225 on Amazon.

Davesport

Ok, thanks for the replies. I’ll nip over and have a look at the other thread….missed this yesterday.

Cheers, D.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Mrs S has a VivosmartHR+
    It does most of the things that my Fenix3HR does, but it’s much better looking on a smaller wrist!
    She loves it. Uses it for step count, body pump, bootcamp stuff sleep time, etc.
    She looked at the FitBit, but that wasn’t waterproof.
    Garmin Express and Connect are pretty good tools too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on what you want to do. Is it just for running, or do you want an everyday activity tracker, and do you want smart notifications from a phone.
    The heart rate on the wrist can be inaccurate for some people.
    Forerunner 35 would be a nice simple one.
    Or Forerunner 25 is cheap and pretty small and light, but doesn’t measure heart rate (without a separate strap).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sony Smartwatch 3, 75 squids at Currys.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Forerunner 225 which basically I never take off other than to charge it.

martymac

I have a garmin forerunner as well, it has replaced the cycle computers which I have always had on my bikes.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve had a Forerunner 220 and now have a 235. Has run, bike, indoor modes and optical heart rate. I’d recommend it – use it most days.

The Forerunner 35 also looks good. Lot less money, but with optical heart rate too. Vivoactive HR also looks good.

me1tdown
    Free Member

I spent ages researching this with for my partner. Ultimately we decided that ‘dumb’ sports watches for >£100 were a bit pointless. She ended up with a Moto 360 sport, which is android wear smartwatch.

It has GPS, Bluetooth and an optical HRM, so can do tracking without a phone connected. Bluetooth means she could use a chest HRM if she wanted the improved accuracy. She uses ‘ghostracer’ which syncs directly to strava and is a bit more advanced than the current strava android wear app. Can also store music on it and play to BT headphones (without a mobile phone).

She’s really impressed with it, she thought she’d only use it for running but wears it all day, it does all the sports stuff and loads more, for no more money. We got a very good deal on a new one from ebay, prices are all over the place at the moment. Obviously battery life is sacrificed but it easily lasts all day and it gets charged overnight.

dannybgoode

Samsung Gear Fit2 is worth a look. Otherwise something Garmin.

Davesport

Thanks for all the feedback..Main use is Cycling, running and swimming. I don’t think she’d want to play music from it, but she might once I’ve bought the “wrong” one 😀 I’ll look at a few first as I suspect something large isn’t going to feel right on her wrist.

Ta for the heads-up 8)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Garmin vivoactive hr will record swimming.

richmars

Tom Tom Multisport is pretty good value, they do one that stores music and plays via Bluetooth headphones.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Been using a garmin vivoactive HR for a few weeks now, pretty useful, although i only use a small amount of it’s capability. Use it for tracking bike rides, syncs with strava etc automatically once i’ve got wifi. Also use for tracking steps, flights of stairs etc throughout the day (out of interest more than anything as it’s not massively altering the amount of activity i do!). Bonus for me is that it syncs to personal and work phones and will show up texts, whatsapp messages and incoming calls – particularly useful if i’m out on the bike and need to know whether to ignore a call or pull over and take it! Also allows control of music on the phone if you’re using alongside headphones.
    Probably a bit big on the wrist if anything, but looks ok.

Bregante

Sportpursuit are selling refurbished TomTom Runner 2 for under £50 or a brand new Runner 2 cardio/music for £123 at the minute.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sports tracker type watch.’ is closed to new replies.