Sports physios – what's going on?

Home Forum Chat Forum Sports physios – what's going on?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sports physios – what's going on?
  • yunki

My right leg has been pretty mashed for years after a couple of serious injuries.

I go through phases of it being pain free and seemingly strong then suddenly back to tons of pain.

I noticed something today though.

If I do a side plank on my right side and try to raise my left leg – nothing, nada.

Other side is fine.

As far as I know that is the only movement that it won’t do. What would that indicate mechanically speaking?

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

What would that indicate mechanically speaking?

A wooden leg. Are you, or have you ever been a pirate?

yunki

Thanks Maccruiskeen 🙂
    I wondered if someone would pick up on that.

Yes I did used to be a pirate, but unlike your common or garden scurvy curr I have a wooden head, not a wooden leg.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I’m a doctor so might be able to help.

Open wide and say “Arrrr!”

From a medical standpoint, it’s not the fact that he has a wooden leg that’s interesting.

It’s the fact that he has real feet.

FunkyDunc

Sports physios do soft tissue massage.

Physio’s do soft tissue damage

Surgeons do mechanical.

In a nutshell ish.

Stating the obvious it means that the left leg is weaker.

If your that bothered go and see a physio

Albanach

In my limited non medically trained opinion it sounds like you need to substantially strengthen your glutes, hamstring and quads on your left side.

yunki

I’m very bothered indeed young Duncan!

I was kind of hoping someone might be able with some knowledge of musculoskeletal anatomy, to help me pinpoint whether tis my arse or my elbow which is not performing it’s necessary function.

See… Albanach’s had a stab at it

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Duff Gluteus Medius is my diagnosis…

That will be £300 +Vat

I thought Sports Physios did massages like normal but with the ‘happy ending’. If you have trouble raising your ‘leg’ you might be better with a normal massage

franko777

Yeah I reckon glue medius and/or minimus.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

It will probably need a complete bottom transplant.

You need to start looking for a donor asap, possibly try posting on here and see if anyone is willing?

yunki

Ah hah! That would make sense I think. I did have extensive surgery on my hip at one point and get a lot of pain from that area.

So I’ve maybe a buggered right glute medeus, which is not providing the stability in my pelvis to allow me to lift my left leg?

Does Wincey Willis post on here footflaps?

Subscriber

You need to start looking for a donor asap, possibly try posting on here and see if anyone is willing?

I’m almost tempted to donate, what with it being xmas and everything … but then I won’t have anywhere to park my bicycle.

It will probably need a complete bottom transplant.

Sponsored by Adidas?

shermer75

I did have extensive surgery on my hip at one point and get a lot of pain from that area.

Right or left hip?

To be fair it sounds like you have done some great investigative work already. Can you lift your left leg when lying on your right side, ie not in a plank?

shermer75

It’s hard to say what is going on without seeing you in action but it would make sense that if your right hip ABductors are weak then you may be compensating and achieving the plank position on your right side by using the left hip ADductors instead, which would of course inhibit you from raising the left leg without collapsing your plank position.

The hip ADductors are situated in your groin area, so you may notice the difference here as you switch from left to right plank.

The answer then would be to strengthen the right hip ABductors (correctly IDed above as the glut med & min), and yes this may well help reduce the pain in your right leg.

Subscriber

ie not in a plank?

He’s a pirate though

shermer75

He’s a pirate though

I think you’ll find we all arrrrrr

dexa

Hi yunki

I think you are Devon based…
    I have used these people to sort me out:

1) http://www.themassagetrainingschool.com Based in Exmouth. Anna Maria Mazzieri – She is also a Mountain biker.

2) exeterpilatesstudio.com
    A 1-1 with Vida Cleland is the way to go. She is very experienced and will tailor a specific programme for you to follow.

They are helping me recover from a Herniated lumber disc, which left me with no control of my left leg. I am now just back on the bike after 6 months of therapy. Lots of glute and associated core work.

Hope this helps.

swedishmatt

Classic weak glute medius if you.cant raise your leg sideways . The glute med stabilizes the hip.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.