Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Sports personality-was it a fix?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Kind of different and didn’t she won SPOTY?

spacemonkey

Ed and Molly said it best. More viewers would have followed Wimbledon than any other ‘event’ or ‘personality’ on this year’s shortlist. Murray’s victory was also epic plus his character, work ethic and single-mindedness cannot be questioned. Well deserved IMO.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Those rugby people are thick as shite, half of them couldn’t dress themselves properly and their family’s were goofing around with inane grins on their faces while filming proceedings on their mobiles.
    Ohh look at me I’m on telly!
    Idiots.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

I can’t believe people are questioning AM as winner: He deserved it all the way.

TiRed

Of course he was always going to win. But… Amber Hill. Chapeau! That’s all.

JulianA
    Free Member

Not so popular that anyone can remember that a brit won wimbledon 36 years ago

Didn’t Jamie Murray win the doubles at Wimbledon a year or two ago…?

langylad
    Free Member

MSP that was a quality little giggle you gave me there. Having said that tonight’s programme was a little like the arts and humanities teachers were taking the pe lesson. Can’t begrudge the ginger one his win and underneath all that awkwardness you have to love him. God knows where 2nd and 3rd came from though

CaptJon
    Free Member

Murray deserved it, and while I only saw bits it struck me as the BBC desperately trying to stay relevant in a field they are rapidly become third class for their coverage. The fact the BBC sport homepage still has no cycling tab despite years of world class success is a case in point. And Russell Watson serenading Alex Ferguson was awful.

edhornby – Member
    Wimbledon is the tennis equivalent of the tour de France, the one everyone wants to win, so a wait of 77yrs for a home winner is a big deal. Tennis is still popular in this country

77 years for a male singles winner

wiggles
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    Of course he was always going to win. But… Amber Hill. Chapeau! That’s all.

isn’t she 16?

poly
    Free Member

The votes:

Andy Murray: 401,470

Leigh Halfpenny: 65,913

AP McCoy: 57,854

Mo Farah: 51,945

Sir Ben Ainslie: 48,140

Chris Froome: 37,343

Hannah Cockroft: 26,151

Christine Ohuruogu: 13,179

Justin Rose: 9,833

Ian Bell: 5,626

Total: 717,454

Duggan

I’ve zero time for andy murray or tennis at all but it’s even obvious to me that andy murray should have won. I couldn’t’t give a toss but its clearly a big deal for most people and you can’t sniff at winning Wimbledon. It’s a massive achievement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s really hard to appreciate what winning in different sports takes, and a lot of the reasons Murray won was due to the high media profile that Tennis has and especially Wimbledon. I look up the list there and not many really stand out as having had a massive achievement, I’m assuming Ian Bell didn’t pop back to talk about his year so far….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and a lot of the reasons Murray won was due to the high media profile that Tennis has and especially Wimbledon.

Fail.

Why is that ?

Are you saying that Murray has received a lot of backing/coaching courtesy of the high profile of tennis and the money Wimbledon raises?

A lot of money gets pumped into loads of other players and they get relatively nowhere.

Andy’s mum sent him to spain early only to learn his trade, his prowess at the game has little to do with any LTA scheme.

I think you are seriously under rating his achievements – having won the 2012 US Open and the 2013 Wimbledon – both against Novak Djokovic.

Houns

What Duggan said

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does anyone actually watch it?

What a load of crap, completely irrelevant to sports professionals. “Oh thank you for the award, it means so much to me, I have trained hard all my life and made many sacrifices, just so I can win some poxy award on the BBC”

The athletes won’t give two hoots about it.

piemonster

Looking at the other contenders, it’s hard to imagine anyone else winning when you take into account the voters.

Although I’d have thought Mo would have been second, but still a distant second.

tiggs121
    Free Member

He is quite simply the best tennis player this country has ever had – on that basis alone he should win, never mind the Wimbledon success!

Highly deserved in my view – well done laddie!

Fixed? Yer having a laugh!

mt
    Free Member

“Hannah Cockroft: 26,151” One of those votes was mine. She’s rock ard that lass.

Was pleased that Murray won he does deserve it. Had to support the Yorkshire girl though.

hora
    Free Member

Filming on a phone? Its on tv ffs!!

iolo
    Free Member

As has been previously said the badge you win is sports personalityj
    Having seen him being interviewed a few times I can say my dirty boxers have more personality.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Having seen him being interviewed a few times I can say my dirty boxers have more personality.

maybe this is the result of a life changing experience he had as a child ?

And as wikipedia says

“Personality is the particular combination of emotional, attitudinal, and behavioral response patterns of an individual”

so it is not just being jovial when interviewed. Without his personality he probably wouldn’t have won those titles, as there are a bucket load of highly talented tennis players on the circuit…

convert

As has been previously said the badge you win is sports personalityj

If you watched the programme about 60years of the award last week it said the idea behind the title “sports personality” was it was a linguistic device to indicate that it was open to both men and women – and absolutely nothing to do with “personality”. That was never in any shape or form their intention. A shame they didn’t choose “Sports Performer” or “Sports Person” then we wouldn’t be having this same tired old line pulled out every year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@Turnerguy, not Wimbledon but SPOTY

Stoner
    Free Member

Just looking at the back page of the metro being read by a guy opposite me on the train. Full page Adidas advert of Murray. Caption: “not bad for a guy with no personality”

🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think it was a fix, a deserved fix but then I voted for Ben.

Well done Andy, well deserved.

Now then, wheres the “personality” bit? 😆

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

@Turnerguy, not Wimbledon but SPOTY

your point ? He obviously has a personality strong enough to win major competitions and excel at sport.

Caption: “not bad for a guy with no personality”

possibly sarcasm ?

convert

possibly sarcasm ?

[definitely sarcasm]you think?[/definitely sarcasm] 😉

pondo

Does anyone actually watch it?

Look forward to it every year. 🙂 The 60th anniversary special was fantastic, highly recommend it if it’s still on iPlayer.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I voted for Hannah Cockroft. I thought she had the most impressive personality.

Clearly, I need to rethink my approach… 🙄

pondo

Just looking at the back page of the metro being read by a guy opposite me on the train. Full page Adidas advert of Murray. Caption: “not bad for a guy with no personality”

Fair play! 🙂

martinhutch

Martina Navratilova would’ve felt a bit daft if he hadn’t won it, given she’d been set up with a podium and a trophy next to his swimming pool in the US ready for the big moment.

I must admit, I watched the last 10 minutes, so only saw the final announcement, plus some bloke from Leeds Poly caterwauling over the montage of dead folk.

martinhutch

Double postie

pictonroad

No commments about the Hillsborough presentation? Got very dusty round our way during that.

richmtb

Given he got more votes than all the other nominees put together I would imagine the Beeb were fairly confident a day or two before that the vote was going to go his way.

Enough time to set up a video link and the correct trophy I’d have thought.

Well deserved IMO

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

@Turnerguy
    , not Wimbledon but SPOTY
    your point ? He obviously has a personality strong enough to win major competitions and excel at sport.

My point….
    He is good enough to win at the top levels, most people who win at that level in any sport have the ability and personality to win at that level. Murray is fortunate enough to do it in a sport that receives a very high level of coverage compared to a lot of sports. His win was a center piece event in the sporting calendar, the TDF is as big but the coverage is just a bike race, Rachel Atherton has dominated her sport and got 5s of coverage. Murray’s win in SPOTY was significantly influenced by the media profile of his sport. Do we need pictures?

molgrips
    Free Member

Rachel Atherton has dominated her sport and got 5s of coverage.

It’s a smaller sport, with fewer fans and fewer competitors. Sad but true. Fewer people care about it.

It’s not about achievement in your own sport – that’s what all those normal competitions are for.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

deserving winner, I think

the programme itself is a bit overlong now IMO

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not about achievement in your own sport – that’s what all those normal competitions are for

Exactly my point.

RustySpanner

Amazing the number of seemingly intelligent people with no idea of the multiple definitions of the word ‘personality’.

And each and every one of them seems to believe that no one has made the observation before.

I bet you’re all great fun at parties.

llama

for sure he deserves it BUT I really think that, if you are not there, if should go to the next person 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Sports personality-was it a fix?’ is closed to new replies.