Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Sports personality-was it a fix?
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Like its says, who voted for him!!!

Candodavid
    Free Member

Not me

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, whatever.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Check the excitement in his voice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Middle England housewives who got bored of their Henman fantasies.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I did. Thoroughly deserved too IMO.

turin
    Free Member

me, and unless I was the only voter some more people must have? 😀

Swelper
    Free Member

The housewives / masses favourite

lemonysam
    Free Member

Lots of people I suspect. Good to see Rachel Atherton made it into a highlights reel.

kimbers

is it like x-factor?

chiefgrooveguru

If we could have been bothered we both would have!

monksie
    Free Member

Was it a fix? Don’t be daft.

ton

just shows you what a moronic set of fecktards the majority of the uk are………imho …… 😀

MSP

He was a main contender and probable winner, but McCoy and Halfpenny runners up? I can see that the general public probably won’t vote for Froome, he hasn’t really connected with the public the way Wiggins and Cav has, but how the hell could they get ahead of Farrah?

It was definitely a fix when they gave it to the horsey royal a few years back,

pingu66
    Free Member

Bit of a cock up cutting to him before they announced it. Good job personality doesn’t actually play a part.

Even though I don’t like tennis he has been in the public eye for a very long time which will always help. I actually thought Farrah would get it it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe Farrah was outside the top three either. I’d have thought it would have been him and Murray.

jodafett

Superb. Arise Sir Andy!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They mustv’e had a 2nd trophy wherever he was tonight, just in case he won (which he did, ovbiously)
    What if, at the last minute, thousands of people had voted for Mo Farrah, would they have said to Murray, ‘soz mate, Mo’s won it, not you’

Foregone conclusion innit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good job personality doesn’t actually play a part.

If Ryan Giggs can win it…

toppers3933
    Free Member

What would possibly be gained by fixing it? I didn’t vote for him but I knew he was going to win it. Despite him being quite a difficult character to like, I know plenty of people who do and who would have voted for him.

timidwheeler

He was a deserving winner, and while I have no interest in horse riding AP Mcoy did have an incredible year. However I am surprised Farrah didn’t make the top three.

edhornby

Wimbledon is the tennis equivalent of the tour de France, the one everyone wants to win, so a wait of 77yrs for a home winner is a big deal. Tennis is still popular in this country

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Limpics are finished so I suppose not so many are interested in Mo’s achievements this year.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I was more concerned about the apparent double trophy-how come they had the top trophy there for him ahead of the public voting-it appeared to be the genuine heavy real trophy!!
    I can understand that he has a lot of supporters- along with McCoy over the likes of say Mo Farah, just seemed too staged for my liking- and I nearly voted for Halfpenny over Froome.

eskay

Superb. Arise Sir Andy!

Surely not, they hate the English/The Queen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You think an event like SPOTY wouldn’t have replica trophies available for the times the winner can’t be there?

imnotverygood

Well considering he was a huge odds on favorite with the bookies I don’t really see why anyone is surprised by his winning.

lemonysam
    Free Member

You think an event like SPOTY wouldn’t have replica trophies available for the times the winner can’t be there?

Careful now, Woppit will start a thread about you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ton – Member
    just shows you what a moronic set of fecktards the majority of the uk are………imho ……

You’ll need to explain this one tony.

1981miked
    Free Member

Not very PC NW-alps-jeyer-aka-boz-2

Or very nice for that matter!

Good on Andy, well deserved in my opinion.

wiggles
    Free Member

I said it was him as soon as he was the only person not there that had bothered to appear by video link 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I though it should have been him. We’ve had double gold medallists before, lots of Olympic success, but a British Wimbledon winner was pure fantasy not so long ago. Plus the story has been an epic struggle, ever since Henman we’ve had our hopes raised and dashed every June.

Plus Murray is not really dominant, in a sport that has has some titans ruling it.

ton

ton – Member
    just shows you what a moronic set of fecktards the majority of the uk are………imho ……

You’ll need to explain this one tony.

sorry…..I thought we were talking about the x factor results…. 😳

andypaul99
    Free Member

…and the british public probably think that tennis is one of the few clean sports left too.

no comment.

MSP

Of more concern is how they managed to stretch it out to two and a half hours. I saw it in the schedule, had bad memories of far too many deep husky voice-overs to slow speed montages of mainly unexciting sports events and just couldn’t bring myself to watch any more than the last 5 mins.

I am sure when I was a kid and used to watch it with my dad, it was only an hour long, the presenter had a proper moustache and a burtons suit, and you couldn’t see past the first two rows of the audience because so many of them smoked. That’s what a proper sports awards should be like.

The way they do it know, is what it would be like if the arts and humanities department were in charge of PE.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Hard as it is for some of the STW masses to possibly comprehend, but I’m fairly confident that a wimbledon victory is at least as important to the general public than a tour de france win, probably more so.

In fact, other than a world cup win, I’m not sure there has been a trophy that has been so eagerly anticipated

Certainly I heard many more people talking about Murray’s win than I did wiggo’s or froome’s

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Do you think it might be better if they replaced “Personality” with “Person”?

cynic-al
    Free Member

ust shows you what a moronic set of fecktards the majority of the uk are………imho ……

This thread?

I agree – middle English bollocks sadly becoming common on here.

rickmeister

Anyone else hoping he would go really cray-zee and jump in the pool ?

maccruiskeen

so a wait of 77yrs for a home winner is a big deal. Tennis is still popular in this country

Not so popular that anyone can remember that a brit won wimbledon 36 years ago 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Sports personality-was it a fix?’ is closed to new replies.