Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Sports Personality of the year shortlist
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

yes, because we see gender parity in other sports, like tennis, road cycling, boxing, swimming, athletics, triathlon, and football. Maybe we see parity in Equestrian events (I don’t know) but that’s not really a sport. And neither’s golf

Well obviously not…but leads me to believe that shes not some kind of superhuman, defying all logic with her phenomenal performances…if it was shed be a little closer to the boys than she is. I think its fair to say that shes very very good, but her competition is pretty weak

As someone above pointed out, theres most likely numerous other females out there who are dominant in their ‘minority sport’ as Rach, its just that we haven’t heard of them..

joefm

Manon won two years ago so there is competition there. But not enough depth of field to really say WOW. Like if Danny Hart clean swept the field for two years we’d be more amazed because there are at least 10 guys capable of winning any race.

It’s a combination of both though. She only has to beat her competition but the times she has put into them repeatedly shows how much better she is at the mo. That’s a combination of hard work, talent and confidence.

back on topic. SPOTY seems daft. Not sure what personality means.

I know Murray has won it twice but this year he has been epic and deserves it imo.

Unsure why Cav or Froome aren’t on there but it’s an olympic year

backinireland
    Free Member

Carl Frampton – unified a title, defended a title and beat a three-weight champion

Johnny Rea world superbike champion again

Bethany Firth? – the most decorated athlete in Rio winning three golds and a silver.

convert

But maybe its time for a Paralympian to get it and there’s no doubt Storey would be a fine winner

I’m going to burn in hell for this but for me the para athletes are slightly questionable and possibly slightly tokenistic in their presence on the list for the same reason Atherton is not on the list – the competition to beat is pretty thin on the ground in comparison to the more main stream sports. The counter argument to this is that the back story to them competing and what they have overcome (i.e. personality) is often pretty immense.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No cyclist will win it as too many nominated and it will split the vote.

All a bit controversial as it’s sports “personality” or is it sporting achievement! Many say Murray doesn’t have a personality I completely disagree. I love triathlon but BRownlee … why cause he won an olympic medal again? There are more deserving people than that!

Controversial and complicated I won’t be bothering voting but I will watch the program for some entertainment one evening.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No cyclist will win it as too many nominated and it will split the vote.

All a bit controversial as it’s sports “personality” or is it sporting achievement! Many say Murray doesn’t have a personality I completely disagree. I love triathlon but BRownlee … why cause he won an olympic medal again? There are more deserving people than that!

Controversial and complicated I won’t be bothering voting but I will watch the program for some entertainment one evening.

dannyh
    Free Member

As ever, astounded that anyone even cares who ‘wins’ this daft award.

I agree. The whole evening is usually a car crash of bad links, corny one-liners that the sportsperson next to the presenter looks deadpan at and some vomit inducing sentimentality.

I particularly like the confused expression usually worn by the overseas SPOTY as they’re handed a tacky trophy by a representative of a broadcaster who most likely cannot afford to air their particular sport as Sky have bought it.

A waste of an evening.

GHill

Brownlee, for giving up his chance to win a race in order to help his brother. A bit of compassion in top level sport was great to see.

Edric64
    Free Member

Hockey gold medalists for the team award

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a load of bollocks and devalued by the inclusion of horse riders and golfers, but Laura Kenny (nee Trott) should win anyway.

Multiple Olympic gold medals – check
    Awesome personality – check
    High profile – check
    About time a woman got it again – check

Personally I don’t see the cycling vote being split too much, but maybe I’m biased towards her.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Who would I remove? The logical one in my mind is this:

Sophie Christiansen – Equestrian

Sitting atop a horse isn’t a sport. Maybe the horse should win the award?

Why is Rachel Atherton not on the list? Because until the BBC realise that there is more to “Cycling” than road and track (Jason Kenny is on the list, under the sport of “Cycling”) then there’ll never be winners. How many people in the UK participate in track cycling vs downhill mountain biking? Or mountain biking as a whole? A tiny number I bet. But because its TV friendly…….

tpbiker
    Free Member

Multiple Olympic gold medals – check
    Awesome personality – check
    High profile – check
    About time a woman got it again – check

Competes in a sport with not an awful lot of depth – check

Shes no more deserving of Rach imo. Its no coincidence that the olypians with the most medals mainly won them on the track. Like it or not, Track cycling is a sport that very few countries give much thought to – hence why the likes of Kenny, Hoy and Trott win multiple medals. Mo Farah’s achievements are far superior IMO.

Leicester for team of the year – nothing comes close for me.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Surely the Kennys are a shoe in for the team award?

chakaping
    Free Member

Shes no more deserving of Rach imo.

Yet IMO Rachel is quite deserving, getting a clean sweep is certainly not as easy as she makes it look.

And like it or not awards like this are not decided purely on a rational basis, but on the candidates’ personality, the breadth of their appeal and the profile of their sport.

Saying that, the flipping golfer will probably win.

chrismac

Who to remove is easy.

Gareth Bale & Jamie Vardy – no brainer, they play football, part of a team, and a long way from being the best in the world at it
    Nick Skelton & Sophie Christiansen – the horse deserves the nomination not the person who hangs on
    Danny Willett – plays golf, enough said

lucky7500

I’ve noticed a couple of the usual comments along the lines of, ‘… doesn’t have a personality so shouldn’t win’. Sports Personality of the Year relates to the second meaning of personality below.

personality noun (CHARACTER)

B2 [ C or U ] the type of person you are, shown by the way you behave, feel, and think:
    She has a very warm personality.
    He is well qualified for the job, but he does lack personality (= he is a boring person).

personality noun (FAMOUS PERSON)

B2 [ C ] a famous person:
    The show is hosted by a popular TV personality.

convert

Gareth Bale & Jamie Vardy – no brainer, they play football, part of a team, and a long way from being the best in the world at it

I’m no footballer apologist but it’s bit disingenuous to state that Bale is not one of the best in the world at it. One of the first names on the team sheet of a club with the coffers to buy any player they choose is a reasonable reference.

dragon
    Free Member

Gareth Bale is easily up there as he is one of star men in the best club team in the world. He won the Champions league this year, semi finalist at the Euros.

Vardy is lucky chancer who had a fluke season.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sports Personality of the Year relates to the second meaning of personality below.

And have you checked with everyone who votes that they understand that distinction?

convert

And have you checked with everyone who votes that they understand that distinction?

Ah, but the ‘personality’ could win the personality of the year award because of performance or personality. So its ok to vote for the personality’s personality. But you don’t need personality to be crowned the personality.

I hope that clears it up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Perfectly thanks Sir Humphrey.

lucky7500

I can only check after they’ve voted as until then I don’t know whether or not they are voters.

Also, I’m highlighting the distinction in the two meaning for the benefit of discussion on this forum.

Ah, but the ‘personality’ could win the personality of the year award because of performance or personality. So its ok to vote for the personality’s personality. But you don’t need personality to be crowned the personality.

I hope that clears it up. 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

I would pick Murray because of he has achieved no other British has achieved.

monde
    Free Member

Could argue that Nicola Adams competition in amateur boxing is as slim as the women’s DH scene. Bye in the first round and then fought three times to win the gold. The pro scene could be very different for her if she decides on that route!

Murray for the win purely for the depth of talent in a global sport like tennis. Would like to see Max Whitlock pick something up as his all round gold was an amazing achievement.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d put my money on “more”. Just because you’re not aware of it doesn’t mean it’s not happening. How many DH competitions in the UK every year? Compared to dozens of tracks holding meets every week through the summer, and every week all through the year for the indoor ones.

But then the same could doubtless be said for all sorts of sports I’m not aware of either, which are more popular than DH MTB.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Sports Personality of the year shortlist’ is closed to new replies.