Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Sports Personality 2019
  • martinhutch

the sports person that has most ‘stirred the sporting sole’ of the nation this year

I agree – he’s a shoe-in for the award.

Kuco

Katarina Johnson-Thomson or Dina Asher Smith deserves it imo.

bikebouy
    Free Member

So probably between a cricket player and a car driver. Great. I’ll avoid.

Well, TBH I don’t think I’ll watch it either. It’s not the achievements that I’m not keen on.. It’s all the fawning and presentation of it all.. Makes me feel dirty watching it.

convert

I agree – he’s a shoe-in for the award.

I’m glad at least someone spotted my spelling gaff. It wouldn’t be stw if you got away with it. 🙂

Drac

Well, TBH I don’t think I’ll watch it either. It’s not the achievements that I’m not keen on.. It’s all the fawning and presentation of it all.. Makes me feel dirty watching it.

Yup me too it’s utter garbage.

But we all know that Lewis wont win for political reasons, dont we, is my point.

Also garbage.

tpbiker
    Free Member

As long as Lewis Hamilton doesn’t win then I’m all good. An odious man who’s success is 95% down to the car he drives.

ajaj
    Free Member

“Courts and ECB disagree.”

The court declined to hear charges of assault because the CPS didn’t get their act together early enough so it didn’t express an opinion either way.

Kryton57

But we all know that Lewis wont win for political reasons, dont we, is my point.

Also garbage.

Maybe check your facts.  Its a well know understanding he’ll never win SPOTY nor get an OBE while he lives abroad and avoids UK taxation.

He’s not helped in the voting stakes though as his personality and projection appears to be divisive to the average BBC viewer, albeit is very modern and positive in the up & coming world.

mefty
    Free Member

Maybe check your facts. Its a well know understanding he’ll never win SPOTY nor get an OBE while he lives abroad and avoids UK taxation.

The fact that he has already won SPOTY suggests otherwise

retro83
    Free Member

tpbiker

As long as Lewis Hamilton doesn’t win then I’m all good. An odious man who’s success is 95% down to the car he drives.

You don’t know anything about it.

Kryton57

So he did, I do apologise and am eating my words as I type, I was clearly wrong.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe check your facts. Its a well know understanding he’ll never win SPOTY nor get an OBE while he lives abroad and avoids UK taxation.

😂😂😂😂😂

tewit
    Free Member

Usually Beckham that wins this tosh anyway isn’t it?😆

Drac

So he did, I do apologise and am eating my words as I type, I was clearly wrong.

Apology accepted.

The court declined to hear charges of assault because the CPS didn’t get their act together early enough so it didn’t express an opinion either way.

It went to court ran several days and he was found not guilty.

convert

Its a well know understanding he’ll never win SPOTY nor get an OBE while he lives abroad and avoids UK taxation.

Whilst we are at it – got his OBE back in 2008 too.

slackalice
    Free Member

When someone has become a master of their chosen field, they make it look so utterly easy don’t they?

Now what’s that saying…? People are like arseholes, everyone’s got an opinion 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ajaj
    Free Member

“It went to court ran several days and he was found not guilty.”

Yes. Of affray. The CPS wanted to try for assault but weren’t allowed to. Being acquitted of affray doesn’t mean he wasn’t a thug and nor does it mean he didn’t break someone’s eye and give someone else concussion.

The ECB, by the way, did find them guilty of bringing the game into disrepute.

Drac

Ah! Sorry Ajaj mistood.

Yes they did but decided not to ban him.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Asher-Smith only works for 21.88 seconds

She definitely deserves it then if she achieve that much without doing all the hours of training the other athletes do 😉

I do apologise and am eating my words as I type, I was clearly wrong

I don’t think I’ve ever seen somebody write anything quite like that on here before 😱

tjagain

They did ban him effectively – but it was backdated to include the time he spent out of the team awaiting trial which included missing a lot of games

Stokes is interesting on this as I alluded to above

He has turned himself around, he has had counselling and anger management training and is now a better person. On balance I don’t think he should be up for it because of his past thuggery but perhaps he should be allowed redemption for accepting he had an issue and getting help with it.

He did this in a fairly quiet way. I would have preferred a public expression of shame and some reparations but then we have seen too many celebs make insincere public apologies.

Mrs TJ who is a big cricket fan is on the side of ” he has done enough to redeem himself”. Me I wanted to see more public contrition. before he is rehabilitated

Drac

Seems fair TJ but I agree with your Mrs.

Drac

A clean win for cricket.

peteimpreza

Is it over yet? I want to watch His Dark Materials

martinhutch

Thank God that’s over. Some of us are waiting for His Dark Materials.

Drac

It might be on now but I switched over as it’s crap.

First Blood is on ITV 4

wrightyson
    Free Member

he was by far and away the best candidate. Higgins, Best, Cantona all flawed genius’ etc etc but damn good at what they did/do.
    Days of being whiter than white are long gone im afraid.

dantsw13

Lewis Hamilton couldn’t even be arsed to attend – video link from a party in his house instead.

Lucy Bronze flew in from Lyon just to interview for 2 minutes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cricket? How very droll. 😂

jjprestidge
    Free Member

tpbiker

So you know him personally do you?

You obviously know nothing about motorsport, so I’m guessing no.

JP

geologist
    Free Member

The two Ben Stokes moments of this year are probably in my top 3 greatest sporting moments of all time. The other one is Danny Harts first world championship win.

Drac

It was unbelievable which is why they were clear winners rather than one goal in a football match.

theotherjonv

The ECB, by the way, did find them guilty of bringing the game into disrepute.

That’s no proof of criminal activity. You can criticise the officials and get found guilty of that. Being involved in an incident outside a nightclub clearly casts a poor light on the sport and validates a disrepute charge, the courts decide if it was a criminal act.

He strikes me as being a fantastic player and a great competitor, and yes maybe a flawed human. His achievements are not degraded for that……

DezB
    Free Member

I enjoyed Dennis Law’s contribution.

mos

Did anybody notice Gary Lineker introduce Ben Stokes as ‘main award winner’ about 40 minutes before the voting opened?

Drac

Yes everyone watching it did.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The only bit I saw was the Doddie Weir bit, which was probably the only bit worth watching.

johndoh
    Free Member

As long as Lewis Hamilton doesn’t win then I’m all good. An odious man who’s success is 95% down to the car he drives

Yeah I agree, an average driver at best. Nothing down to having an immense skill and understanding of the dynamics and set-up of the car, an ability to consistently deliver time after time and keep his cool when things are not always going as planned and still get valuable points. Anyone could do that shit.

And, from where I am sitting, he generally comes across as a genuinely nice person.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So you know him personally do you?

You obviously know nothing about motorsport, so I’m guessing no

remind me how many championships he won when vettel had the best car…

Nope never met him..but he comes across as a total nobber imo..plenty of negative stories about him if you care to look, and his hypocrisy over climate change further got my back up..

But most of all he’s a greedy tax dodger

As for not knowing much about f1. Again you are correct, as it’s the dullest sport known to man. Sure he’s good, but I guarantee he wouldn’t win the championship in a mid grid car..so I stand by my point.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sure he’s good, but I guarantee he wouldn’t win the championship in a mid grid car..so I stand by my point.

Sergio Agüero wouldn’t have won the Premiership if he played for a mid-table team. Your point is?

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Sports Personality 2019’ is closed to new replies.