Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Sports Personality 2019
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

KJT has for years been the high profile Jess Ennis understudy and this year she smashed it (I’m aware the Belgian was injured). Lewis will win it I think. What do you think?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Biggest pile of poop ever that programme, but I’d back Lewis for his Eco stance

jamesmio
    Free Member

Dina Asher Smith will, rightly, be in with a shout too I’d think.

pondo

Lewis FTW.

convert

Stokes. He provided Roy of the Rovers style impossible storybook moments of individual heroics in a team sport environment. The others have been more drip feed brilliant (or quite good) and that does not sell as well with the general public.

scaredypants

but I’d back Lewis for his Eco stance

🙂
    Yeah – he’s smashing the system from within, alright. I hear he’s got an allotment now

How about Fury ??

Garry_Lager

Stokes put in an innings for the ages but I reckon failing to win the Ashes takes quite a lot of impact away, at least for these sort of awards.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought Stokes was a thug, happy to be proved otherwise.

spacemonkey

Both of Stokes’ innings were extraordinary, elevating him to Bothamesque levels of reverence. As for losing the Ashes, he did more than anyone else in that team to prevent them going back to Oz.

Drac

Stokes gets my vote some outstanding innings there that turned things around. I’m not sure I’ll see a match like those again.

tjagain

Stokes – should he be disqualified for his thuggery? Or lauded for turning it around and recognizing what an idiot he was?

For me he should never have played for England again – nor Hales

Drac

Courts and ECB disagree.

tjagain

Indeed they do

Its just my opinion. ECB could have used the civil case standard of proof to deal with him but they did not and as I said there is a case to make that he did indeed turn his life around.

Kicking a man on the ground for me disqualifies him. Others may differ.

Kryton57

Dina Asha Smith should win it. But this is the BBC of course so I imagine it’ll be Stokes.

Lewis can’t win it, he pays a licence fee to Monte Carlo TV.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Stokes for me.

Although, it’s a shit show and I never watch it.

MoreCashThanDash

Asha Smith deserves it most imo, but suspect Stokes will get it

Kryton57

it’s a shit show

Yet here we all are implying why.  Likely to be won by a chap that did one excellent thing once in a series we didn’t win, despite a record of thuggery because he’s white and middle-ish class.

convert

Likely to be won by a chap that did one excellent thing once in a series we didn’t win,

I’m guessing you are referring to the drawn ashes series (most think we lost it because they got to keep the urn). He did play a rather pivotal part in winning the world cup too.

I’m no Stokes fan as a person but it is hard to underestimate the impact he has had on his sport this year.

Does not pass the Froome Brit test mind.

midlifecrashes

Asher-Smith only works for 21.88 seconds, Stokes plays for five days, why is this even a question?

jimster01

Probably be Stokes for those innings against Oz.

Won’t be Lewis even though he is the winningest British F1 driver who happens to live abroad.

Drac

Likely to be won by a chap that did one excellent thing once in a series we didn’t win, despite a record of thuggery because he’s white and middle-ish class.

You’re obviously not talking about Stokes.

convert

for those innings against Oz.

One was against NZ, but they are all the same right. Kiwis like it when you say that I find.

You’re obviously not talking about Stokes.

Calling Stokes middle class is a bit of a stretch, especially after the revelations about his family background came out over the summer.

bruneep

parking at the venue is joke, any winners will have to do acceptance speech via video call from traffic jam

wrightyson
    Free Member

Clearly a few people on here who only know a fraction of what stokes did during the summer. The world cup final was watched by countless non cricket fans also, even if they only tuned in for the last 2 hours it literally went viral and was sport at its finest.

Kryton57

In sporting achievement Stoked has nothing on Lewis Hamilton, and Lewis Hamiltons portrays a far more positive sporting associated image.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>But we all know that Lewis wont win for political reasons, dont we, is my point.   </span>

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, I ‘d like it to be the cricket bloke too.

For the simple reason:

Me and my mates were sitting on our sailing club beach admiring the awesome weather, the families enjoying splashing in/out of the sea, kids sailing up and down the lagoon, a few folks heading back from the bar with pints and our little lot listening tot he radio TMS…

And people who we’d never seen before were asking “how’s it going?” “sounds like we might loose it all” and “ahhh typical Gurland performance” etc.etc.

Then that last hit, and literally the beach exploded with jumps of joy and people flinging their arms around and yelping…

It was an astonishing reaction..

And who knew so many people were huddled under beach breaks listening to TMS?

Brilliant day.

retro83
    Free Member

Lewis FTW.

rOcKeTdOg

Jay Ajayi for his comeback after ACL surgery

darthpunk
    Free Member

Sky Brown, 11 years old and going to the Olympics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/47523698

Maybe celebrate the up and comers for a change.

convert

It was an astonishing reaction..

Agreed. If the award was to be given to the sports person that has most ‘stirred the sporting sole’ of the nation this year (and I don’t see why it should not) I can see him as the obvious choice. Asher Smith’s gold was a real break through for Britain (and her) and Hamilton’s 6th title is also astonishingly impressive but they hardly generated water cooler moments. If your water cooler was in Wales you could argue that Alun Wyn Jones’ effort in the 6 nations would have generated some serious chat but he did not generate an individual stand out moment of quite the same magnitude to quite so many. Cricket World Cup final being on terrestrial Tv (albeit not BBC) will also sway the result too.

trumpton
    Free Member

lewis ftw.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Asher-Smith only works for 21.88 seconds, Stokes plays for five days, why is this even a question?

Anything that stops for tea, lunch and rain is a bit of a joke, really.

mrb123
    Free Member

Stokes for me all day.

Might have been justified for the World Cup performance but to follow that up with what he did in the Headingly test match puts it beyond doubt.

kennyp
    Free Member

If it came down to a totally open choice I’d say Jasmin Paris was the most impressive single sporting feat I’ve heard of this year. However the “wee” sports never really get more than a patronising mention.

Of the six chosen though I’d say Stokes is the most likely to win. Though admittedly three of the six I’d never even heard of so mine isn’t necessarily the most informed opinion.

spacemonkey

Clearly a few people on here who only know a fraction of what stokes did during the summer. The world cup final was watched by countless non cricket fans also, even if they only tuned in for the last 2 hours it literally went viral and was sport at its finest.

IIRC 21 million people watched these highlights within 24hrs or so. It really did go beyond the normal reaches of the cricket world.

That alone would have put Stokes in pole position. What he did a few weeks later at Headingley elevated him even further. That 135no was absolutely stratospheric. Sure, he swashbuckled his way over the line in the last few overs and the whole script was just insane. But he opted to fight his aggressive instinct when he first went to the crease to protect his wicket. He made the impossible possible.

DezB
    Free Member

So probably between a cricket player and a car driver. Great. I’ll avoid.

slowoldman

I’m never sure whether it should go to a sportsperson with personality or a personality with sporting prowess.

Cletus

Raheem Sterling gets my vote – won four trophies last year and became a real figurehead against racism in sport. He will not win it because of the stupid hysteria about the Gomez incident. That should never have got out and the way in which Sterling was cast as the villain when Liverpool players had been trying to deliberately injure him and his team mates by pushing them into advertising hoardings left a very bad taste.

richmtb

Lewis, not sure any of the others are potentially the GOAT in their given field, Lewis is.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

F1 is even worse than cricket. At least cricketers have to actually get off their arses.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Sports Personality 2019’ is closed to new replies.