Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sportives. How do I find them?
  • sarawak
    Free Member

I was out this morning, and was riding for more than 10 miles against a stream of guys doing a Sportive. I never saw a checkpoint or other signs of what it was, but there must have been easily 200 guys, so it can’t have been a small event.

I’ve never ridden one but am intrigued, so decided to have a look at what it was. I’ve trawled the interweb and can find nothing about it. I started with BCF then just worked my way through Google and all the sites on there listing rides. Trouble is there are so many site and so many rides – all of which claim to be the best site ever.

Is there any form of central register/list of where and when these things take place? This thing I saw must have been on’t interweb somewhere but I couldn’t find a single event taking place round here today.

How do folk find out about these things?

DaveT
    Free Member

British cycling have a calender, but as you say doesn’t include non BC registered events.

Sportive.com seems have a more all encompassing calender

Ewan
    Free Member

https://findarace.com/sportive

Good but not complete.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Go for a ride on the west side of the South Downs today, you are bound to come across riders from the Wiggle Mega Meon Sportive. 😉

MrSparkle

Follow the trail of empty gel wrappers?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

sientries.co.uk

Another one to try.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

https://findarace.com/

But then….

sportive

sarawak
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve seen Wiggle. They have listing for all over the country except NW England!!!

Seems like it’s pot luck finding what’s on.

Thanks for your suggestions.

CraigW
    Free Member
    13thfloormonk

Follow the trail of empty gel wrappers?

Like the trail of wrappers I followed up and over the Tour de Ben Nevis route? Must have been some awfully confused roadies, unless, gasp!, it couldn’t have been MTBers could it? 😉

MTB-Rob
    Free Member
    crazy-legs

British cycling have a calender, but as you say doesn’t include non BC registered events.

It includes most of them (UKCE, Evans, a lot of the charity ones)

OP – where were you, which road / area? Any idea of the approximate route? Problem with tracking down an event is that where you see them could be 60 miles or so from the actual event HQ so you can sometimes be searching for an event near (say) Settle but then discover that they actually started from Lancaster so it’s in a different county, never mind postcode!

sarawak
    Free Member

@crazy-legs… I’m in West Lancashire. Riders seemed to be heading inland and as this was 10AM it can’t have been too long after the start.

I’ve checked everything I can and have found nothing that fits.

sarawak
    Free Member

I looked at that but we are far to the south and west of Lancaster, maybe 40 miles in a straight line – whereas that seems to be heading east into the Dales. Can’t find an exact route but it doesn’t seem to fit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sportives. How do I find them?’ is closed to new replies.