Sporrans: real or synthetic fur?

Home Forum Chat Forum Sporrans: real or synthetic fur?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sporrans: real or synthetic fur?
  • organic355

Further to my Sgian dubh post (I am getting a real one). The next dilema is as above.

I was quite happy to get a real sealskin sporran, but they are a bit boring, everyone has got one, was looking for something a bit different like the one below.

My kilt is grey, like this:

And I am considering this synthetic Grey Fox Sporran, only because all the natural grey/sliver fox sporrans are actually brown:

So would I be breaking some unwritten Scottish law by buying synthetic fur (except of course MTFU).?

If I think it looks good does it matter?

I quite fancy a rabbit fur one but as with the fox, they are not totally grey, at least the colour is guaranteed with this one?

bigG

Is it a nylon kilt? If not, buy a dead animal to stick on the front. That's the point and they look much better, I bought two of my sporrans from a maker in Perth, name escapes as it was a while back. From memory they'd make you a sporran from pretty much anything and in a whole range of colours.

You'll be able to get a grey one if you look hard enough. What about a badger head sporran? I have an antique one and it's pretty grey in colour. Also great for starting conversations at black tie functions!

Swayndo

I've got a posh mink one for dress and a leather one for casual. Saying that I'd probably go synthetic now.

druidh

Both my sporrans are from deid coo. A simple leather one for "casual" wear and a furry one for dress.

organic355

Saying that I'd probably go synthetic now

Why?

ojom

Get a seal one in grey

like this

druidh

Except get a kilt that fits eh?

organic355

LOL at onion.

Get a seal one in grey

As I said in my OP, I could but they are a bit boring, everyone has one, wanted something a bit different TBH.

I get a seal one as part of the package, but wanted to upgrade to something else.

ojom

I cant help my buffness going up and down.

Big M

Link

Interesting sporrans here….

Edit – I got married in a kilt like that I just had a plain black leather sporran understated.

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

I don't like seal sporrans myself, I have a goat one which is ace – and a very orange one but I can't remember what furry beast that was before it was skinned and stiched πŸ˜‰

Goat ones are fab though, if you don't mind looking a bit lot more disrespectable πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

You've got a grey kilt and you're worried about real/fake sporrans & Sgian Dubhs? πŸ˜‰

dyna-ti

I believe the scalp of an Englishman is the original material that was used πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Basically you should be able to pour a day's supply of porridge into your sporran, and have a wee purse on it to hold your silver.

Any more than 2 tassels on the sporran is boasting. Except for pipers – they're better endowed than the rest of us.

Definitely a dead animal. More kudos if you kill your own baby seal with your wee black knife…

πŸ™‚

grynch

all joking aside… I've got a beaver sporran.. not far off this one
    ( the dangly bits are diff )

pjd

i have a big furry black one

rabbit i think.

conversation starter indeed

Premier Icon votchy
    Subscriber

Must be genuine badger fur πŸ˜€

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sporrans: real or synthetic fur?’ is closed to new replies.