Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spokes snapping
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

Riding home tonight and i have had 3 spokes break. All at the same point, by the nipple and all on the same side. The wheels are 2 weeks old. They are used on a carbon road bike that i ride to work on roads and cycle paths. The wheels they replaced did about 20000 miles before they final broke. How long would you expect spokes to last as a minimum?

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Three weeks and up?

You’re asking the wrong question. The spokes have broken due to the build. Possibly too short.
    Tell us has the nipple broken or the spoke itself.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

It’s the spoke its self. They all went within 5 miles fortunately the last one went as i got home as it became un-rideable at that point.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

A picture or two would be good.

bigyan
    Free Member

Sounds like something is wrong, spoke angle or spoke damaged during threading would be my guess. Tension issues normally result in breaking at the bend.

What kind of wheels/components?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

They are Prime stagiaire disc wheels, which have straight gauge spokes as far as I’m aware.
    Ive been told that spokes aren’t covered by warranty and tough luck but no help swat so ever.

branes

Very very odd. Either way this should be sorted under warranty assuming it’s JRA.

Definitely the spoke and not the nipple?

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-building-tip-no-9-succeed-with-alu-nipples/

tjagain

Nothing to do with warranty – your rights are mandated by law. Fit for purpose and all that. Back to the shop for a replacement

K

Too many pies

owenfackrell
    Free Member

To definitely the spokes as they have sheared where the threads end i.e. there are no threads left visible. I only saw that last one and there was a small amount of spoke left sticking out but we are talking mm.

The too many pies made me smile. Even with my rucksack on i doubt that the all up weight including the bike is over 100kg and if t s then its only just.

tjagain

You have statutory rights. Use them

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

I’d be rejecting them for a refund. You don’t want a repair ‘cos other spokes will probably go

13thfloormonk

I’m curious too, what brand of spokes? How deep is the rim?

Edit: answered my own questions, Pillar spokes and 26mm deep.

Must admit it was always the Pillar spokes that put me off Hunt wheels, seem to be a lot of stories of spokes snapping on Hunt wheels. Would still expect warranty replacement, 3 spokes in 3 weeks isn’t right!

K

Just take them back as not fit for purpose.

If it was reasonable wear and tear or the rim is dinged from smashing in to things then they may have reason to say spokes aren’t covered.

This thread has made me crave for a pie…

joebristol

Funnily enough I had Pillar spokes snapping on my hunt rear wheel – although I’ll caveat that by saying I wrote off a rim on a pot hole and it was rebuilt onto a replacement rim using the original spokes by my lbs. So there are mitigating circumstances.

I’ve rebuilt the wheel with ACI double butted spokes / brass nipples and so far so good.

2 weeks on what I assume is a road wheel where spokes have snapped on pretty normal terrain isn’t right – is push harder back to whoever sold you the wheels. If there is no damage to the rims from harsh impacts then they need to either refund you or replace the wheel.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I rn the shield tubeless with 32mm tyres at around 40psi. They are road wheels on a carbon framed flat bar road bike (giant fastroad) whilst I have hit potholes in the past (broke my ankle on one) that was with the old wheels. These have not seen anything worse than some cattle grids.
    They were bought from Wiggle and to them who have said sorry spokes not covered.
    They all broke within 5ish miles after the first one went. 2 are next to each other in the hub the other is further round.
    I have had a closer look at them today and there is a thinly bit of thread left on the spoke but not much at all.
    I’m going to look into the not fit for purpose route as when the third one went the rear wheel jammed up, fortunately i had just pulled on to my drive.
    Thanks for confirming that you wouldn’t expect this from wheels 2 weeks old just used to ride on sealed surfaces.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Have a couple of pairs of Prime wheels and all have had spokes break on the back wheels.

CRC didn’t want to know. Ended up relegating one wheel to the turbo and had the other rebuilt with decent spokes.

tjagain

Owen – within 30 days you can just reject them. thats what to do. Distance selling regs give you even more protection. You will find letter templates on the Which site I linked to.

do not accept anything else but a full refund. Its your legal right

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spokes snapping’ is closed to new replies.