Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Spoke calculations, Can someone check my figures please?
  • I’ll be building a pair of wheels soon and I always get the feeling I’ve got the calculations wrong and will order the wrong spokes, so could someone check all this for me please?

SP PD8 dynamo front hub
    Left diameter 58mm
    Right diameter 52mm
    Offset 23.4mm both sides
    Crossing 3

Rohloff rear hub
    Diameter 100mm both sides
    Offset 50mm both sides
    Crossing 2

Velocity Dually rims
    604mm ERD

Using http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/ I make that;
    Front left = 291.6
    Front right = 292.5
    Rear both = 273.7

So that’ll be 292 & 274 then.
    Have I got that right?
    Does it make any difference that the Dually holes are offset from the centre line a bit?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve never been brave enough to calculate this myself so I’m certainly not brave enough to check yours for you. However, for the dually, the term effective rim diameter would suggest that any offset etc is taken into account in the quoted figure, precisely so it can be used to calculate correct spoke lengths. That’s if its not a total misnomer…

simon1975

The calculator will need to consider the number of spokes, too. Assuming it’s 32 on each wheel, it looks close to being 290mm for ALL your required spokes (if you went 3-cross on the rear) which might save you some money… I always buy shorter than the calcs show (by 1 or 2mm) so I don’t run out of thread when tensioning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Spoke calculations, Can someone check my figures please?’ is closed to new replies.