Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Spodsnet: AIBU in using the disabled toilet at work?
  • natrix
    Free Member

The allocation of disabled toilets seems to be completely random. We’ve only got one in our three storey office block and that’s been off limits for a month now due to refurbishments (all they’ve actually done is paint the door of the disabled loo but it still took them a month :|)

As for balancing skills, my 24+ stone Malaysian friend always squats on the loo and has never broken one yet. (most bathroom scales only go up to 24 stone and he’s off the scale)

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator
    You misunderstand, I think. I wasn’t trying to justify their (ab)use, it was a genuine question as I couldn’t immediately think of a scenario. I could take your word for it, or you could just give me an example or two of these “many” situations?

I could.
    I could also post a list of such conditions, along with a plea against selfishness and post it on the door of every disabled loo I see.
    Or I could just ask you to take my word for it. 🙂
    Which was pretty much the point of my post.

It’s a very interesting topic, tbh.
    Would the level of selfishness decrease if there was more explanation, or would we just be preaching to the converted?

I’m well aware of difficulties and prejudice faced by people who don’t “look” disabled; my partner is thusly affected, for a start.

I didn’t say you weren’t.
    I’m not sure where I implied that you did. You did say in your earlier post that you knew people with non obvious disabilities.

That was more of a general comment than one aimed at a specific contributor.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I contributed, said all I have to say on Page 1.

However it seems like there is an awful lot more to say on the subject, or not 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s frustration that some people just can’t seem to accept that things are the way they are for a reason that may not always be apparant at first sight.

Yes, of course, this is why I asked my genuine question. I’m not trying to be an arse, in fact I am trying nit to be an arse. I wish to learn about the issues people may face so I can act accordingly. I’m not saying it’s okay to use them, I’m asking if it is okay. Apparently it’s not, so I won’t from now on.

As for nastiness, Neal, your posts come over as rather unpleasant and abrasive. Perhaps you should work on that if that was not your intention?

Cougar

It’s a very interesting topic, tbh.
    Would the level of selfishness decrease if there was more explanation, or would we just be preaching to the converted?

I expect it might, which is kinda where I was going with it. It is at first glance a ‘victimless’ crime; people see a spotless, barely used crapper and think “well, why not, no-one else needs it.” If there was a better understanding of the potential issues this may cause, people may be less inclined to take advantage.

There’s a difference between public and private (ie, work) facilities though I expect. Work is a little more of a ‘controlled’ situation (visitors aside), in that if there was someone who couldn’t use the other bathrooms and for whom waiting a few minutes would be unacceptable, you’d probably know. In public all bets are off, anyone might need to use them.

scaredypants

I’ve got it. All we need is some minor infrastructure alterations:

Disabled facilities will all have electric doors like the posh public ones you see in some city centres. All genuine users of disabled bogs should be issued with a swipe card (or thingy) that unlocks and opens the door of any disabled bog (and can block this from happening while they’re inside).

Any able bodied users may use these bogs whenever they like but take the chance that a genuine user may, at any time, open the door on them.

Mid-tug, molgrips – be warned

molgrips
    Free Member

I think they already have that scaredypants. Not electric doors, but electric locks with a special key. I forget its name.

sbob
    Free Member

Radar key.

Houns

Which cultures typically stand on toilet seats?

I ask as may help to narrow down culprits at work

psling
    Free Member

It’s an interesting question Molgrips and whilst you have received a number of moral answers no one appears to have given a definitive answer.
    From memory (retired surveyor), there are various rules and regulations eg Building Regs ref size of room, Workplace Regulations recommended number of toilets per number of staff, access requirements for those with limited mobility to reach unaided, provisions within the wc (and yes, these do require a hook for a colostomy bag amongst other things), and other regulations and guidelines; probably too many to make them entirely understandable which just adds to the confusion over where and how they should be provided.
    As far as I am aware there are no rules regarding their use by other than disbled persons although there are recommendations that this be the case in certain circumstances (and I’m not sure about Public Conveniences in this respect).
    So, yes you can use your work disabled access wc facilities unless there are specific instructions by the company that you cannot.
    Whether or not you should from a moral point of view has been directed upon with some indignation on this thread but only you can make your decision about the rights and wrongs of that one 8)

Cougar

Gods help us.

crikey
    Free Member

(and yes, these do require a hook for a colostomy bag amongst other things),

Not.

Colostomy bags are not something you can take off and hang up! 🙄

Cougar

Doesn’t mean there isn’t a requirement for a hook, whether it’s any use or not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m not reading all that shit, but we all know that the only reason anyone uses the disabled traps is the plethora of grab handles. Perfect for that extra purchase needed when fighting a particularly awkward brown snake.

pondo

*Mind boggled*

CountZero

Where I work there are three loos downstairs, two gents, one disabled, with all the fittings, swing-down rail, grab-handles, loads of room. The other two are the width of the door, with a really stupid little hand basin, so if I’m working downstairs, on the folder, or helping on the PB, I always use the disabled. We have nobody at work who would need a disabled loo. Nobody. I feel no guilt, it’s just a facility that’s more comfy to use.
    Upstairs there are no specific disabled facilities, again, there’s nobody needs specific facilities that a wheelchair user would require, because there’s no way they could get up there, or negotiate the corridors, steps, or other idiosyncrasies of our premises, but the loos are more spacious, thus easier to use.
    And recently refurbished, too. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think there can be a legal stance on this – sometimes the disabled facilities are just a larger cubicle with the handles and alarm. And some places as above are labelled as the shower and the disabled loo at the same time.

thegreatape
    Free Member

How do all you chaps who use a regular bog

a) get out without your trousers brushing against the bog (even though you got in without doing it),

b) get undressed without brushing your clothes against the bog, and

c) keep your clothes neat and tidy without a rail on the back of the door to hang them on?

sbob
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

How do all you chaps who use a regular bog?

With a lot less difficulty than you do?
    😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

😀

sbob
    Free Member

Houns – Member

Which cultures typically stand on toilet seats?

I ask as may help to narrow down culprits at work

You expect an answer to that on here? 😯

Start with Indians/Pakistanis/Arabs and go from there.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I can’t be expected to crack one off, after flirting with Julie from account, in the communal shitters. Far too much heaving and straining going on, puts me off my stroke. I have to use the disabled dumper to get some peace and quiet. Does this make me a bad person, I think not.

scaredypants

Does this make me a bad person, I think not.

Lord, no, it doesn’t make you a bad person.
    I bet you’re the laughing stock of the security cctv team though 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

As for nastiness, Neal, your posts come over as rather unpleasant and abrasive. Perhaps you should work on that if that was not your intention?

You asked for an example. I gave you an example.
    I wasn’t nasty at all. I just gave an example.

What you didn’t like, was the fact I criticised you for needing to ask the question in the first place.

That’s something you need to work on, not me.

I use disabled loos whenever it’s expedient.

This means ….

“I use disabled toilets whenever it suits Me, and I don’t care if it’s right or wrong as long as I’m ok”

I have asked twice if you knew what expedient meant when you posted that, but you seem reluctant to answer.

If people seemed abrasive, possibly it’s because you used a word without knowing what it meant, and it changed the meaning of what you meant to write. ??

DrJ

Expedient
    n
    3. something suitable or appropriate, esp something used during an urgent situation

nealglover
    Free Member

You have to look fairly hard to find such a kind definition.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define:+expedient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

DrJ

Not really. I googled “expedient” and it was definition 3 on the first hit.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m sure that’s what he did too, skip past all the definitions that made him sound like a selfish twonk and find one that fitted 😉

aP
    Free Member

Noisy areas within factories etc have them but in standard offices its smokes, with heat detectors in canteen areas then just sounders when the alarm kicks in.

Not true I’m afraid, most modern office buildings have PAVA and visual indicators.

DrJ

Someone here’s looking like a twonk, that’s for sure.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ho ho.

Very clever what you did there.

molgrips
    Free Member

This means ….

“I use disabled toilets whenever it suits Me, and I don’t care if it’s right or wrong as long as I’m ok”

a) no it doesn’t and

b) all my posts on this thread have been asking for information so I can do do the right thing. Given that I clearly want to do the right thing, how am I being selfish?

I didn’t look up the word, by the way, I just took it to mean whatever’s quickest and most pratical. Seems like many other dictionary writers agree with me.

sbob
    Free Member

First definition on google:
    “convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral”

I appreciate your google must work differently from mine.
    Now stop being so precious.

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator

It is at first glance a ‘victimless’ crime; people see a spotless, barely used crapper and think “well, why not, no-one else needs it.” If there was a better understanding of the potential issues this may cause, people may be less inclined to take advantage.

You’re probably right. 🙂
    It just winds me up that people just act as selfishly as they possibly can unless forced/encouraged not to.
    Damn you human nature!

The non visible forms of disability I was referring to are mostly mental and psychological issues, btw.

molgrips – Member

I didn’t look up the word, by the way, I just took it to mean whatever’s quickest and most pratical. Seems like many other dictionary writers agree with me.

That’s what I’ve always taken it to mean too. 🙂

I’ve met Molgrips. I think he’d be less likely to deliberately inconvenience someone than he would strangle a kitten in Tesco.

sbob – Member

Radar key.
    They’re the best short term solution.
    However, one bloke I know has issues with hand strength and operating the key.
    Not perfect, but he lives in a small town where people know him and can help when required.

I prefer scaredeycat’s solution, tbh. 😀

Great thread, btw.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve met Molgrips. I think he’d be less likely to deliberately inconvenience someone than he would strangle a kitten in Tesco.

+1 (well, not to having met him, but the rest)

Using the definition of a word to have a go at him is a bit sad (and the original pop was abrasive). Seems it’s more borne of a desire to have a go at somebody and then pick meanings and tones to suit one’s own agenda. Funnily enough, I knew what he meant too.

It’s been an enlightening thread though, thanks to Rusty’s input, I’ll probably think twice before I nonchalantly use one again just because it seems a bit quiet.

MadPierre

The main non-visually obvious disability that causes people to use disabled loos (and parking bays) is that they are lazy, impatient, inconsiderate t*sspots!

My wife is disabled and has to often stand (yes no wheelchair!) with her legs crossed because some lazy sod can’t be arsed to walk up the stairs in Wetherspoons….

pondo

It’s been an enlightening thread though, thanks to Rusty’s input, I’ll probably think twice before I nonchalantly use one again just because it seems a bit quiet.

Same here, to be fair. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks 🙂

As above, I will not use them any more.. Unless I’m desperate for a pee and there’s no alternative.. And I know there’s little chance of anyone else needing it.

So, next question – why do disabled people get to cross the Severn bridge for free?

nealglover
    Free Member

Using the definition of a word to have a go at him is a bit sad

I asked him twice if he meant it the way it sounded, he didn’t answer.

(and the original pop was abrasive).

That could be because he sounded like he wasn’t bothered as long as he was ok.
    Which is why I asked if he meant it to sound the way it read.

Seems it’s more borne of a desire to have a go at somebody and then pick meanings and tones to suit one’s own agenda. Funnily enough, I knew what he meant too.

I’d gladly have a go at anyone who acted in the way his post made it sound like he did.

I’ve been on the receiving end of that sort of selfish attitude regarding disabled facilities and it not pleasant, to put it mildly.

Could have been avoided if he’d explained, when asked, what he’d meant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jesus wept. Ok, you don’t like it being pointed out that you were unnecessarily abrasive. We get that now. If we can all move on from pissing on one another’s barbecues over the meaning of a word like grown-ups might do, that would be lovely.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Spodsnet: AIBU in using the disabled toilet at work?’ is closed to new replies.