Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • Splitting the bill.
  • zippykona

Have gone away with 2 other couples.
    One couple don’t drink or have starters. They know exactly how much their bill will be and pay that much. They won’t pay a tip.
    This evening their share as a couple was £6 less than the other couples . They still wouldn’t split the bill. As they live in Hull they come down south and stay with us or the other couple. I would have thought that after receiving our hospitality they would be more than willing to split the bill.
    I know this can be a real issue as one of our friends will often put away 8 beers while the rest of us are driving without offering to put in any extra.
    £3 each though, I found it insulting.
    Potato up their exhaust pipe?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go on, admit it, your keys weren’t picked out of the fruit bowl.

aP
    Free Member

Or maybe they were.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    captainsasquatch
    Free Member

wtf?
    £3.00 per head to be your friend?
    I’m in Paypal gift?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I don’t mind it but have you noticed the person who always suggests splitting the bill is the person who ate and drank the most.

demonracer

I’m happy to do either but what would annoy me is their refusal to pay towards a tip (if the food and service deserves one).

When out with a large group (normally from my other halfs work) I always pay an extra £10 towards a tip knowing that others won’t … Somehow the money is always still short, I suspect it’s always the same person who doesn’t pay!

yunki
    Free Member

I can sort o sympathise with people getting the arse on when a friend won’t pay their way although in our friend group, we’re pretty easy going so it would never be a real issue..

But getting the arse on because a friend won’t pay your way!?

That’s some next level **** up shit 😯

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need to ditch the tight arses. Gets on my tits. Groups of women especially bad for this, having been the waiter providing arithmetical support to pissed up girls/tightwads nights out I can tell you its tedious squared.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Are they that good company, tbh not tipping staff at all is pretty mean, restarant staff aren’t well paid and rely on tips. As for your mate who tucks away the beers he should be paying for those.

Cletus
    Free Member

If I am out for a meal with other folks it always boils my piss if I feel that I have to make choices in order to avoid offence. Therefore if I know I have had a couple of extra drinks or more expensive course (enjoy a nice brandy and steak 🙂 ) I will always put in enough to cover that plus approx 15% extra towards a tip (if deserved).

Luckily money is not too tight atm so I can afford this. If I was counting every penny things might be different.

If I was staying with someone else and we went to dinner I would offer to pay their share as a thank you for their hospitality (unless it was a regular reciprocal arrangement).

orangespyderman

You need to ditch the tight arses.

This. Just move on. If they ask why, tell ’em. If they’re really good friends and have genuine reasons for minding every penny (I have a couple of drinking buddies who really do need to watch what they spend as they earn little and have high rents etc), they’ll let you know, and you can do as you see fit, if not, **** ’em – for three quid they really are pissing you around.

zbonty

Tightness in these circumstances really annoys me, especially with tips.
    Fair enough if you’re skint/on a tight budget, don’t split, pay for your own. No problem. Defo seems to be worse among groups of women for some reason. Can also be witnessed in work outings. Someone expecting to pay the same for their three courses/6 drinks as the water drinking salad eater deserves food poisoning! As for everyone having paid an equal share then it still being short..

zippykona

They are driving a brand new car so not on the bread line.
    It’s these people..
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/guests-arrive-tonight

seosamh77
    Free Member

The drinkers should split the drink bill, and the eaters split the food bill.

Everyone should chip in for the tip.

It’s not rocket science. They are just tight arses.

Charge them keep next time they stay with ye.

Cletus
    Free Member

Mrs Zip buggered off with another friend for a spa day on Monday so that was definitely me on a bike all day.
    She has realised what a drippy pair they are and i feel this may be the last visit.

That didn’t work out as you’d hoped then 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zippy so the signs where there 2 years ago ! Time to move, just tell Mrs Z you don’t want them back

BigJohn

Everybody should put in what they think they’ve had then split the shortfall equally.

convert

restarant staff aren’t well paid and rely on tips.

Is this really true in modern day uk? We are not the states with waiting staff on $2 per hour and the anticipated tips calculated in to get them up to minimum wage. With the advent of the living wage (for 25 year olds at least) should we really be tipping by default? I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend my life topping up every other person’s wage only on the living wage in my day to day life, so why do we single out waiting staff? A 25 year old waiter on the living wage plus an average nights share of the tips in an average restaurant is on more than a recently qualified nurse per hour (and not taxed on the tips) – is that really equitable?

Re splitting the bill – defiantly should be normal. However, I’m always concious of the friend who wants to come (& we want them to come) but just can barely justify spending out on the cheapest thing on the menu let alone subsidising the tosser at the other end of the table choosing the most expensive thing on the menu and necking booze by the gallon without the social awareness to appreciate the difficultly they could be putting others into. Over consuming on a split bill without chipping in the extra is a bigger social gaff than not wanting to split the bill imo.

convert

Oh, and we tend to insist we pay the whole bill if people are coming to stay and we choose to take them out rather than eat at home – seems really cheap to invite people and then expect them to pay for their own grub, especially if they’ve travelled a distance to be with us.

Edit – I stand corrected on previous post. In the uk restaurant income through tips should now be taxed. I’m sure they weren’t in my day, but then again there was no minimum wage either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On tipping
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/pittsburgh-restaurant-no-tips_us_562677c6e4b02f6a900e03dc?section=australia
    One of the issues raised was where do your tips go? To the waiting staff? To the minimum wage pot washer in the kitchen? To the people doing the prep? The upshot of this one was that when you accept that you should pay responisbly people respect that. It’s nice in some ways not to be in a massive tipping/guilt tipping culture. I’ll choose to eat somewhere that pays it’s staff properly.
    As for the OP, some mates pay what they had, others have more and insist on splitting – both annoy you?

nickc

They won’t pay a tip.

It doesn’t matter if the staff need the money to make up their wages, tipping waiting staff is pretty much the norm if the service has been friendly and good.

Also, just split the bill in as many ways as there are dinners. simple and straightforward. Don’t go dining with people how don’t understand this.

cranberry
    Free Member

So they come to visit with you for 2 weeks at a time for free and then get arsey about bills and tipping?

Give them a bill at the end of their visit for the accommodation, with a service charge attached and a moaning tightwad supplement.

You won’t see them again.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

If I am out for a meal with other folks it always boils my piss if I feel that I have to make choices in order to avoid offence. Therefore if I know I have had a couple of extra drinks or more expensive course (enjoy a nice brandy and steak ) I will always put in enough to cover that plus approx 15% extra towards a tip (if deserved).

Oooh so as a special favour, you pay for what you’ve eaten and drunk, well done you! 😉

As a non drinker, I know exactly what I’ve spent. It’s always the drinkers, who ‘forget’ how much they’ve drunk (or are too pissed to remember) that want to split the bill. I put in what I’ve spent, I don’t see why I should be expected to subsidise everyone else’s boozing.

chiefgrooveguru

Paying your share is fine as long as you add 10% for the tip. If not, then you’re not paying your share (unless the service has been bad enough that no-one is paying a tip).

Splitting a bill equally can be a bit ridiculous when a large drinking meat eater will have spent two or three times as much as a skinny teetotal vegetablist.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s up with you southerners ? Up north you don’t pay tips !

Edit – just re read. They don’t drink and they didn’t have starters, why should they subsidise YOUR meal??? Not good friends are you if you can’t see that they should pay less.

Besides which they live in Hull so you should feel sorry for them

BillMC

I can’t bear people who try and wheedle. Be a kin grown up and pay for your own habits and whatever it is you want. People who see others as potential meal tickets cannot expect to be treated as equals and taken seriously. If a mate genuinely couldn’t pay I’d rather give them a bung on the quiet so they could ‘pay their own way’.
    Restaurant near me, the tips don’t seem to get to all the staff. What to do? I knew some dockers, celebrating a legal victory, who ate in Langan’s Brasserie. They gathered up a big tip, barged through the swing doors and asked a chef (who happened to be a little black guy) if he ever saw any tips, ‘never’. They gave him the lot and then got chucked out. Best way to end a night in that place.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m a southerner, and rarely tip. 😉

Anyway, as a non-drinker splitting the bill can be a pain. I don’t mind if someone’s food is more, but when the bill is 60:40 or more food to booze, I do begrudge splitting. I’d have thought the solution would be to order separately. Would solve the problem, and you wouldn’t lose some friends just as they prefer to not split.

Edit: Just re:read they’re stopping at yours. I’d have thought they should pay outright one night at least for that.

Alex

Also, just split the bill in as many ways as there are dinners. simple and straightforward. Don’t go dining with people how don’t understand this.

This ^^. Our riding group just chucks a tenner in at the start of a ride for bacon butties/tea etc and then another one if we run out of cash in the pub. My view is it works out in the long term, and even if it didn’t I just don’t care. Same for trips away, etc – just takes the hassle out of it.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Loving the 2 year old post reference, brilliant research so hope the OP appreciates that.
    It’s simple to pay your share plus a tip if the ‘group view’ is to tip. Anyone who expects to do differently probably isn’t great friend material in my world (this is not a major criteria to gain my friendship but indicative they may fall generally short).

If you don’t stop at theirs ‘for free’ then I’d expect them to offer to pay for dinner or similar by way of a thank you gesture.

hels
    Free Member

Invoice them for the two weeks BnB.

Marin
    Free Member

They sound awful. Get rid and tell them why.

curto80
    Free Member

I’ve known it take an hour just to pay the bill because of one particular couple in my friendship group insisting on everyone paying for exactly what they had. It just ruins the evening. That couple don’t get invited anymore. It’s meant to be shared social experience, not a mental arithmetic test.

senorj

Ahh, the drippy people ,what are you doing going out for dinner with them again?

I split the bill and I tip.

Next time your wife suggests meeting up with them , I would politely decline.
    You could say you’d be busy sorting out your sock drawer. Or something.

russ295
    Free Member

There is a squad we go out with (usually about xmas time). The meal is always paid for in advance but t they always shout for a kitty for drinks.
    It used to start at £30 per couple. So prob £150 at a time. 6 of them drink wine/champagne/proseco like it goes out of fashion! 4 of us are bottled beer drinkers. We’d be lucky to get 2 drinks each and the kitty tin would need filled up to pay for another round of “fizz”
    Sharp kicked that into touch!
    Was on holiday a few years ago, with sis/brother in law and 2 kids, my dad and me/wife and 1 baby. First meal, BIL says are we splitting this 3 ways, dad had had a €6 burger and the bill was €90. He’s one of the wine drinkers!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont and wont split the bill

I am a teetotal vegan so my meal will always be the cheaper. Essentially every time i eat out in a group i have to pay for others food and drink
    If you want to explain why this is fair I am happy to have yet another discussion on the topic from those who want my subsidy for their night out.

If i was staying at mates might be a nice bottle of wine or some such as thanks

Anyone who expects to do differently probably isn’t great friend material in my world

At the cinema I get the expensive seats and a meal and you dont …can we split the bill as you will be a great friend wont you.

As for the lack of maths skills that is not my problem I can work out what my bill is as I am not dumb and still sober 😉

For me what happened is we went out with a couple who ordered steak then drank two bottles of wine then wanted to split the bill the It was a long time ago so about £20 for two meals or about £50 splitting.

You think we should have paid the extra £30?

phil40
    Free Member

I will happily split the bill with a couple of our close friends, but beyond that, not anymore! My wife and I have been on the receiving end of having to pay out way more than we ate/drank to subsidise the people that suggested splitting and then drank/ate loads!

I find making things clear at the start of the evening avoids any potential problems later on! It is the same with buying rounds, I used to be fine with it, when i went out drinking regularly with the same group of friends, but now I am much happier just buying my own drinks when I want them.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Sadly we all know a “taker”, out once in company, I ordered a steak his Mrs was heard to say “he`s getting steak make sure you do” plus his extra double malts in between normal rounds that apparently he likes to do, face was a picture when everyone started putting in their own corners worth, think they just had enough coin to cover their greed and had to go home 🙂
    You can do me once , maybe twice but never ever again, always cover what we have had plus a tip judged on the service provided.

allan23
    Free Member

Have a referendum and let your friends leave if they think they’re subsidising you by splitting the bill 🙂

I’m generally OK with friends, it’s the work meal that does my nut in as there always is the heavy drinker who can drink upto the value of my entire meal and expect me to heftily subsidise their alcohol habit.

binners

Why do people bother with all this nonsense with people they don’t even like? Just bin ’em off!

In my experience the people who do this whole totting up exercise at the end of the meal are generally the ones who earn far more than anyone else at the table.

They’re just tight-arses! Pure and simple. Just tell ’em to **** off! Seriously. I would. Life’s too short to bother with this type of nonsense

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I am a teetotal vegan

I imagine the offers must be flooding in.

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Splitting the bill.’ is closed to new replies.