Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • splitting a SRAM 10spd(pg1051) power link?
  • yan
    Free Member

Is there a way to undo a SRAM 10spd(pg1051) power link or do you need a tool? SRAM instruction say one time fit, but is there a way to do it without tools like 9spd?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

in a word, no. you ‘might’ be able to do it with the KNC removal pliers though.

creamegg
    Free Member

Yes, ive done it a few times. Youll need some pliers to push them apart

mkidley
    Free Member

Removed a 10 speed one on the trailside this morning doing an emergency botch/repair when my rear mech was murdered with a pair of chunky pliers, just need a bit of patience!

dibboid
    Free Member

After a failed attempt to sort my 10 sp knc split linkage at the trail side I decided to make these for my bag.

just a old pair of long nose pliers with the tips bent to stop them sliding off the linkage and the handles biting my fingers.

bikebob

Had exactly same issue about a month ago. SRAM ones are single use, I had to buy special pliers. KMC 10 spx ones work well and are much easier to split on the trail. Although mine are still newish. Probably be different in another month and full of crud.

JoeG
    Free Member

I bought a 6 pack of 10 speed KMC missing links online for less than $15 IIRC. One on each chain, and a couple of spares in the camelbak tool kit.

I did buy a set of the pliers and they make undoing the quick link even easier.

chakaping
    Free Member

9sp powerlinks work fine on 10sp chains IME

oldgit
    Free Member

Connex links were recommended to me.

yan
    Free Member

Cheers thanks for all the input….

Any ideas where you can get the KNC pliers from?

jamiep
    Free Member

These are EXCELLENT. Both open and close links whereas others (including the KMC one on CRC) tend to do one only, and they are cheap. Opened/closed a ‘single use’ link multiple times. Wish I’d bought them earlier rather than struggle and skin my knuckles.

JoeG
    Free Member

Park tools also do the link removal pliers as do other brands.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It’s a powerlock. A powerlink is easy to remove, a powerlink can be a mare with a pair of hands. This is why they named it powerlock :O)

Some people claim to have no problems with removal by hand. I carry a pair of lightweight chain pliers in my camelbak to save time and not look like a fool fighting a powerli.. ooops,powerlock.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘splitting a SRAM 10spd(pg1051) power link?’ is closed to new replies.