Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Split hose. Brake fluid in frame
  • mjsmke

Rear brake felt a bit spongy this morning and just thought it needed a bleed. Then noticed some fluid where the hose exits the chain stay. The hose kinked where it enters the frame at the top of the down tube. I’ve removed the hose and there were a few drops of (Dot) fluid inside the frame (2020 On One Whippet). The frame has a guide/insert for the hose but the leak was just before this so fluid could have gone around this.

I’ve removed the forks and flushed the frame through with a little water from the chain stay through to the head tube. Is there anything else I should do? Or not worry? I’ve not removed the BB as I’m sure it has a metal insert anyway.

duncancallum

You could spray some cavity wax in there as a preventative measure.

Tbf its worth doing on any steel frame

Northwind

I’d do what you’ve done, except with more water

mjsmke

It’s a carbon frame if that makes any difference?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d do what you’ve done, except with more water

I second this

It’s a carbon frame if that makes any difference?

I’d be wary of putting anything in there except the water (purely down to ignorance, I don’t know what would harm a carbon frame) but I’d expect the water to clean out the DOT fluid no problem

duncancallum

I’d not worry if its carbon, just flush it out.

mjsmke

Thanks. Managed to shake water in pretty much all tubes. Can’t remove the BB though as don’t have the correct tool. Just need to think of a creative way to dry it now.

reluctantjumper

Water is the best thing to wash it out with so you’ve done the right thing. As for drying airflow is what you need.

mjsmke

Just noticed the carbon where the hose enters the frame has quite a sharp edge. Probably the reason the hose got damaged. Is it safe to sand or file this down? It wont show as theres a plastic cover that screws over the hole.

Poopscoop

Done gently with a fine file/paper then dabbed over with a little bit of clear nail varnish and all should be well.

wheelsonfire1

Perhaps contact the retailer? It’s not very old….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Split hose. Brake fluid in frame’ is closed to new replies.