Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • spitfires from freeborn
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Saw them mentioned on the slack bikes thread and like the look of them a lot.

Anyone got one or demo’d one? Any photos? Are freeborn good to deal with? What’s their demo setup like? Notice they are the only UK dealer which would worry me a little.

Shackleton

They are the UK distributor and sole dealer. There usually is only 1 distributor for a country and I guess they choose not to sell through other stores as there probably isn’t that great a demand for them. They have been the Banshee/Mythic distributor for donkeys and seem to have a good reputation. They have certainly been helpful when I have spoken to them. If anything did go horribly wrong with Freeborn the Banshee guys themselves are helpful, fast to reply and their chief designer lives in the UK (Edinburgh?) so I can’t imagine too many problems.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Guess there could be some advantages to dealing with a dealer who’s also the distributor. Seen the ad’s in the bike press for a while now but nothing’s really tickled my fancy till I saw the spitfire.

Noticed the designer chap had an english accent while checking out some videos on the banshee web site, hopefully will mean the frame has some mud clearance!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Rob at Esher Freeborn is a solid guy I’d recommend dealing with him.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

agree call Rob at Esher, nice chap, helpful and he knows his onions…

doof_doof
    Free Member

I had a bad experience with Freeborn and a custom wheel build. I wouldn’t give them my money again.
    Just make sure you follow up any phone conversation with an email to confirm *exact* details.

carbon337
    Free Member

Someone I know was selling a small frame recently on here

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks JB, I’ll give him a bell.

Still keen to hear from anyone who’s actually got one of these. Seem really good value for what’s on offer compared to other similar bikes, like say the 575 or the BLT. And having been riding an mmmbop I’m liking the angles.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think Rob rides one on and off, a top bloke, bloody good rider too. I trust him and there are very few retailers I’d say that about. He will see you right for sure. I’ve seent he frame in the shop and it’s comparable to the Ellsworths he has in terms of quality.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks carbon337. Can’t find it with a quick search, has probably been eaten by those pesky hamsters along with all the other old posts.

It’s quite a new frame. Any idea why he was selling it?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks again JB. Handily the esher one is closer to me than the horsham one so good to know there’s someone there who’s familiar with his root vegetables if I pop in for a chat.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve got an 07 Pyre which is like a pre spitfirey spitfire, and I love it, it does everything very well. And Keith the designer is a top bloke.

Shackleton

Mild pedantry – onions aren’t root vegetables.

If I had the money the spitfire would be high on the list for a new bike. Would be interested to hear how you get on if you get one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks schrickvr6. Spitfire’s now definitely on the list. Shall have to pop to Esher and check them out.

carbon337
    Free Member

erm not sure its still for sale you can email him – will mail you an address. He didnt like the geometry of it I think it was only ridden once – very nice though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

With Gardeners Question Time on in the background I really should know better!

geetee1972
    Free Member

What is it about the Spitfire that drew you to it?

I’ve heard mixed reports about them to be honest. The one person I’ve spoken to who was riding one extensivly said that the geometry is spot on, the concept is excellent but the execution of the manufacturing quality and the actual suspension design is not quite 100%, although it’s not far off.

I would be amazed if Freeborn said that the quality of the Spitfire was comparable to that of an equivalent Ellsworth or Devinci but then those frames will be quite a bit more expensive. The new Ellsworth Moment looks stunning and word is that Steve Jones from Dirt liked the one he tried so much he’s taken one on a permanent basis.

I doubt that Freeborn are going anywhere soon. They run a pretty tight ship and have just launched Haven Distribution to start a proper distribution of all their frames rather than being the sole importer and retailer so the issue of them being one and the same no longer applies.

Both Joe and James in the Horsham shop are top guys and know their onions as well as Rob.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

This seems as good an opportunity as any to pimp out my ride 😀

If you’re anywhere near Newport you’re welcome to have a blast on mine.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Having seen the Devinci, Mythic and Ellsworth bikes in the flesh I’d disagree, I think the build quality on each looks very close making the mythic a bit of a billy bargain IMHO. All have good welds, nice CNC work etc. Ellsworths anodised finish is really cool no doubt.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments geetee. For me it’s probably the angles, travel and some of the adjustability (though I’m yet to be convinced that this is an useable feature without changing the shock too.) Like the sound of a bike that I could build as a bit of a very mini DH bike with longer forks that would still have a low BB. Then also build as more of an all round trail bike around maybe a 140 fork. Also like a bike that pedals like a VPP bike so hoping it will be similar.

Something about the Ellsworth that doesn’t do it for me. Not ridden one but I don’t think it’s a bike I could love, if you know what I mean.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I think the build quality and attention to detail is awesome, I also like that I paid £510 for my frame brand spanking new.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice build schrickvr6. I don’t think any bike of mine has ever been that clean! Did it come with that shock or did you upgrade? Looks built to go down. Does it go up too?

Not that close to newport but do cwm carn occasionally, shall let you know if i’m in the area and still not made a purchase.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks JB. Shall have to go check them out at esher.

Anyone heard of anyone breaking mythic/banshee? Any warranty issues?

Also what’s the deal with banshee vs mythic? US vs UK? Would rather have Banshee written on the side of mine 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

The issue with the name in the UK is that Halfords have the Carerra Banshee, so Banshee can’t use their name in the UK, hence why they are called Mythic.

Having seen the Devinci, Mythic and Ellsworth bikes in the flesh I’d disagree

I don’t disagree with that, but my view is based on what I’ve been told my the guys in Freeborn. They are obvisouly very happy with Mythic, but they aren’t in the same league in terms of how things are done in the factory.

I’ve heard of a few warranty issues with the Spitfire but I’ve also heard that Freeborn have taken care of them.

BTW the Spitfire is no lighter than something like the Moment and not as light as the new Devinci Dixon trail bike that is due any minute. I’ve also been told that Devinci have the lowest warranty return rate of all the makes that Freeborn deal with.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bloody halfords!

Rode a few of my mates four bar bikes and I’ve never really got on with them, so that put me off the Ellsworth and Devinci bikes in the past. Be interesting to see what sort of write up’s the new split pivot Dixon gets, all sounds good so far. Could tempt me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Cheers, yeah considering it’s got 36s on the front it climbs reallly well but excells downhill. It came with the RP23, I fancied trying a coil, got a good deal on the Roco TSTR second hand and haven’t looked back. Uber plush downhill and difficult to describe on flat/uphill but it feel like there’s alot more traction and the back wheel bites into the surface like a good ‘un.

I got mine from BDH bikes in Canada, hence the name and the price.

mrblobby
    Free Member

… having said that about 4 bar, I did test ride a Helius AM at Afan and loved it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Schrickvr6, with that sort of build what do you tend to use it for? Trail centre riding? Uplift days? Local woods? Is it your do-everything bike or is there a fleet of bikes in the shed?

heihei

I was looking at the Spitfire when considering changing my DW 5-Spot (too big & too steep), and the Spitfire came up on the list. At the time (November), Freeborn were selling everything that came through, so hadn’t had a chance to build a demo, and I wasn’t about to buy one without testing.
    Something that put me off was that it’s a linkage design done in-house – it may end up being great, but I’d want to test it first, and perhaps get others’ views too as to how the linkage stacked up against more developed designs such as VPP, DW, Maestro etc.
    Have a look at the Transition Covert – cracking geometry and good price if you’re happy with a single-pivot design.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks heihei. The Covert is on the list, though a single pivot does put me off a little, I’d need to get a ride on one. The only single pivot I’ve had a proper go on is a five and it wasn’t really for me.

Interesting comment about the DW 5 spot. It’s been on and off the list for a while (currently off). Really want to try a DW bike as the mojo is on the list too.

What did you go for in the end?

mttm
    Free Member

There was a lot of info on this thread here – but it seems to have vanished?

Anyway, Spitfires are ace bikes – provided you want what they do well i.e. long, low and slack. They’re not plush (they’re not meant to be), but they corner better than just about anything else out there. They are very low – this is either brilliant (corners) or a pain (pedal strikes) – depends where and how you ride.

I had some problems with mine and Freeborn were excellent in dealing with this, so they get a thumbs up from me. Here’s some poor quality pics (I don’t really like to stop long enough to do the photo thing 🙂 )

Current build is a smidgen over 29 lbs all in (29.2 lbs, to be exact).

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I do have a mini fleet, Cotic, Dialled and Nicolai but this gets used far more than the others. I use it for everything you’ve said and even long rides and training rides up the canal as it’s quicker and more comfortable than my Cotic bFE which is a fair bit lighter built. I also sold my new shape SC Bullit as this is quicker downhill as well, actually I can’t prove that statement but it certainly felt it and more fun.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Mttm, long low and slack is what’s making me want to try this bike.

Nice build you got there, other than the mud guards! Are those 36’s on the front? Interested to know if it’s 29lbs with 36’s and the dropper post?

Mind going into a little detail on what problems you had with yours? Be good to know of anything that might come up.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Aha, I’ve found I can view a cached copy of the old thread from google! Off to check it out now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Am up to speed with the old thread now. Mttm, seen the issue and sounds like a good conclusion.

Thanks all for your help. Right, must arrange a visit to freeborn esher!

mttm
    Free Member

Nope, ‘fraid they’re 32’s on the front, not 36’s (actually, they’re 150mm 32 Float RL QR15’s). The weight is fully built up, including pedals and dropper post, but not mudguards or mud 😉 . The build’s morphed a few times since it’s original debut, but it’s always hovered around the 29-30lb mark. The frame would be a really good match for a set of 36 Float RLC’s, but financial reality had to kick in somewhere!

The guards may not be pretty, but they are very effective. I’ve always struggled with why it’s “cooler” to get covered in muck rather than fit mudguards? I get to ride for longer, and I don’t have to slow down because I can’t squint through the cack. Oh, and you can’t really see your own ‘guards when you’re on the bike, can you?

heihei

Thanks heihei. The Covert is on the list, though a single pivot does put me off a little, I’d need to get a ride on one. The only single pivot I’ve had a proper go on is a five and it wasn’t really for me.

I tried a covert and liked it a lot based on geometry, but wasn’t so keen on the single pivot. I fitted a CCDB to it, and whilst it improved things a lot, it still wasn’t as good as a DW etc.

Interesting comment about the DW 5 spot. It’s been on and off the list for a while (currently off). Really want to try a DW bike as the mojo is on the list too.
    What did you go for in the end?

The 2011 5-Spot is slacker and lower based on rider feedback. It’s still not super-slack though, but it’s also got a 1.5″ bottom race so you could add an angleset to slacken further.
    I’ve gone for a Mojo HD, which I’m growing to love….160mm is great around rocks of the Lake District, and 140mm is nice and low around Surrey Hills.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Mttm. Two more questions to any spitfire owners…

1. Do any of you ever swap between the two setting for sock mounting?
    2. Is that cable routing for a dropper post under the top tube?

Thanks again for all the help here.

mttm
    Free Member

1. Never used the steep setting – the whole reason I bought this bike was to get at the slack geometry.

2. Yes, there’s cable routing for a remote dropper post (although I don’t personally use it).

mrblobby
    Free Member

heihei, nice bike! Is that the bright green one in a thread a while back?

The mojo HD has been on and off the list too. It’s off the list at the moment, not quite sure why!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘spitfires from freeborn’ is closed to new replies.