Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • Spinoff from how much to fill up, Whats your MPG
  • simon_g

Stepwagon – about 26mpg

eGolf – about 3m/kWh (more in summer), so at 5p/kWh charging it’s like a 350mpg petrol car at today’s average petrol price.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Motorway cruiser: 60
    Car for general use: 45
    Moderately spirited B road driving about 25

All from a chipped smart Roadster

EDIT just read some posts…WTF…how inefficient are your cars/status wagons?

chakaping
    Free Member

Very roughly 35mpg for my Vivaro, mix of long M-way journeys and shorter runs.

singletrackmind

so at 5p/kWh charging it’s like a 350mpg petrol

IS that on a night meter / economy 7 ? Has to be shirley, my electric is 16p/kwh. That is mighty impressive if it is. A guy in my road club works for a green energy co and they have run a Tesla as a company car for years. Its on 300,000km’s or so and the battery is only showing a 7% deg , which is truely amazing . The motors will probably go before the batterang i reckon

winrya
    Free Member

2018 S3 has averaged 34mpg from new, always driven pretty hard

2019 130bhp partner van showing 48mpg from new. Again driven pretty hard as it doesn’t have a lot of power

When doing motorway speeds the van is low 40’s and the S3 sits around the same. Van will do 60mpg doing 50mph On country lanes but rarely happens

jamesoz

Work Ford Connect LWB 1.5td?, 2019. 45-55 mpg depending on journey.

My Porsche 951 3.0t 1986. I think 17mpg, don’t monitor it too closely. Currently has a thirst for starter motors.

GFs Vauxhall Astra estate 1.6 8v 2004, 35ish mpg I think.
    I’m just happy when it’s working properly, it’s probably the most pampered old Astra in the world. So much as a squeek from it and I lose riding time sorting the squeek out or she won’t drive it. Same goes for any MOT advisory.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I use the fuelly app to track mine.
    So this is an actual figure based on what I put in each time I fill up.
    Over 3200 miles I’m averaging 46.8 mpg.
    Mini Clubman Cooper SD auto.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Does anyone actually think their trip computer is accurate? It isn’t.
    My last diesel Ford trip computer was 5mpg optimistic in the 4 years I kept records for fuel usage, slightly less in the Vauxhall’s before it.
    Current work car is a 1.8l hybrid and does around 50mpg, more in summer less in winter and varies a lot more than a diesel.
    Wife’s car does 18mpg. On super unleaded. Yikes.

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve for an m135i, 3ltr 320bhp.

It’s brilliant, does 40mpg on the motorway because it’s 8 speed, but also does some fine local trips at 18mpg. Fortunately I live in London and it sits there 95% of the time.

simon_g

IS that on a night meter / economy 7 ? Has to be shirley, my electric is 16p/kwh.

Yep, Octopus energy (who I use) and a few others now do time of day tariffs if you have a smart meter. Usually set day rate with a cheap nighttime window a bit like Economy 7 used to be. Octopus also do one that tracks wholesale prices every half hour so it’s more expensive at peak time (4-7pm) but much cheaper outside of that.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Works pickup – 28/29ish usually, sometimes I can coax it into the low 30s over a tank if I am being particularly careful.

13 year old, 110k mile RAV4 – 41 if being used on school runs, 50ish mpg on a long run.

Bike… 31mpg usually… had it down to 19 on the Dumfries run once!

RustySpanner

Honda Jaaaaaaazz. 2018, 1.3.
    80 miles a day, mixed urban, A roads and motorway. Bikes, camping stuff and grandkids at the weekend.
    Always between 50 and 55 mpg.

For a simple, normally aspirated petrol engine with bugger all torque I’m quite impressed.

It’s built well, but lightness has been prioritised over noise insulation.
    Very sensitive to tyre pressure, the headlights are like two glow works shagging behind a stained glass window and the clutch is vaguer than a Tory manifesto.

I do like it though, fun to thrash, excellent ride, grip and comfort, Tardis like and a nice place to spend 2 or 3 hours a day.

hot_fiat

Caravelle: 25
    KTM: 65
    Quadrifolgio: 21 generally. It will do 38 on a run. If I’m nice.

olly2097
    Free Member

Mondeo 43mpg
    Berlingo 44.8mpg
    Gti 180 24mpg

What I’ve learnt is that ford’s book figure for my car is a lie. The berlingo needs a 6th gear and the 180 doesn’t do bad considering it gets ragged.

allyharp

Does anyone actually think their trip computer is accurate?

I’ve been surprised. I assumed mine would be overstating, but it’s been pretty accurate whenever I check. If anything it’s more often slightly lower than the actual I calculate (Toyota Auris 1.6 diesel)

I’ve been around 41-42 mpg per tank recently now it’s winter (have had bike carriers fitted a fair bit too)
    Was generally 50-51mpg a tank earlier in the year.

hot_fiat

Does anyone actually think their trip computer is accurate

I always assume they lie. I haven’t calculated mine manually for a while though. Oddly the mileage trip on my abarth used to count up at a different rate to the main odometer. So if you reset it at 20000 miles, at 20300 miles the trip would say something like 303.

Drac

I’ve found them close enough not to care about tiny bit it’s off. The VW app seems very accurate though and again close enough for me not to worry about or waste my time with a spreadsheet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

(Toyota Auris 1.6 diesel)

I’ve been around 41-42 mpg per tank recently now it’s winter (have had bike carriers fitted a fair bit too)

do you just batter round town in that , i’m amazed such a small car gets such a low MPG

surely that should be 60+ mpg ?

TedC

It’s about as accurate as your speedometer, with the added tolerance impact of measuring fuel used.

Oddly the mileage trip on my abarth used to count up at a different rate to the main odometer. So if you reset it at 20000 miles, at 20300 miles the trip would say something like 303.

That is a bit odd, I wouldn’t be surprised at a variable (differs between each trip reset), but fixed for a given trip reset, but would expect it to be be less than 2km. The algorithms for storing odometer distance are more complex than most people imagine due to the need to keep a high precision[1] number, with potentially large values using non-volatile memory that has limited write cycles[2].

[1] Precision and accuracy are not the same thing (wanders back to the pedantry thread)
    [2] All NVM has a write cycle limit, for EEPROM its typically 100000 cycles guaranteed, which would only cover the first 10000km at 0.1km resolution.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Our last family car was a 57 plate Mondeo 2.0 TDdci that averaged 48mpg, I could get up to 62mpg on motorway journeys keeping it on the inside line and matching pace with the HGVs

The 64 plate S-max 2.0Tdci that has replaced it has better official Mpg, but only averages around 45mpg, on Motorways it only goes up to 52mpg.

I have an 08 plate Peugeot 107 that I use for my 7 mile commute to work on country roads that refuses to do less than 50mpg.

phil5556

I reckon ours are close enough, on the very rare occasion I’ve worked it out they’ve not been far off.

I usually have the computer in mine showing either range or speed, which I find much more useful than mpg.

timbog160

Jag does 40ish on a run. Low to mid 30’s the rest of the time. I did monitor once to see how accurate it was – seemed to be optimistic by 5-10%.

Weekend toy does 4mpg.

singletrackmind

My car lies like a Chinese health official.
    64.8 mpg average when the reality is 52or 54 depending on ambients
    Always over in my experience, though this volvo is the worst I have had

mindmap3
    Free Member

My M140i has averaged 30.7mpg since I collected it in June which I don’t think is too bad for a 3 litre car.

It’s quite capable of being pretty economical on a decent run but it’s equally adept at making super unleaded vanish pretty quickly if driven hard.

Inbred456
    Free Member

X1 25D 42 mpg mixed on V Power.
    Aerodynamics of a brick.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mine is yes, I’ve checked it.
    On both.

allyharp

(Toyota Auris 1.6 diesel)

do you just batter round town in that , i’m amazed such a small car gets such a low MPG

surely that should be 60+ mpg ?

Probably a mix of bad traffic and bad driving style. I live in London so my commute is often 15-20 minutes in stop/start traffic, 10 minutes at 75ish, then another 10-15minutes that can be a bit stop/start again.

Best I’ve seen on a single trip was 74.9 on a short 9 mile journey – through 50mph average speed cameras for most of it and with a warm start.

tjagain

driving style makes a huge difference even if its an imperceptible difference in style. A good few years back I did a european tour on my BMW r1100rs with a mate with a ZZR1100. Despite the BMW having fuel injection compared to carbs on the ZZR and the BMW being lighter and we both rode at similar speeds ( he was a faster rider than me) he got better MPG and longer out of his tyres. In the end we decided the main factor was he rolled away from a stop gently in first, short shifted to second then opened the taps, I tended to rev much higher in first and with a wide open throttle.

Ruddy annoyed me that his faster more powerful and heavy bike got better MPG and he was faster overall.

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Spinoff from how much to fill up, Whats your MPG’ is closed to new replies.