Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Spinoff from how much to fill up, Whats your MPG
  • onewilddiesel
    Free Member

daily driven leon is 38
    Defender is 22
    Weekend toy is 3

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s not really an effective humblebrag unless you’re talking GPM

kerley
    Free Member

Average is 60mpg. In Summer with air con on it goes down to about 56mpg, at best in spring/autumn I get 62mpg

retro83
    Free Member

Weekend toy is 3

RX7/8 ? 🙂

Octavia VRS manual, average 30.99 on normal petrol, 31.2 on premium. Short commute!

Drac

83.6mpg according to the last long term figures.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Lightly tuned Saab 95 Aero (2.3 turbo petrol @ 280hp) = 27mpg average. However I live in a city centre, so every trip has a bunch of stop/start driving which tans the economy.
    On the motorway it’s about 35 mpg with a couple of bikes on top.

Not great, but it only cost me £900 so I can afford a bit more petrol @ 5k miles / year. Also going for that “keep an old car running/not the emissions/energy of building a new car” environmental consciousness thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the 90 gets 24 at 60 mph…. or 28 at 55
    the big van does 29 on a run …. low of 14 on singletrack stop start in the highlands – normally somewhere in between.
    Peugeot partner has done ave 48 mpg over its life.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Around 30mpg in my T5. I miss my Golf which would do nearly twice that.

RS5 – 14

Discovery 25-28, 18-20 when towing 2t caravan

boomerlives
    Free Member

My current filthy diesel – 65mpg.

My previous Greta approved hybrid – 32mpg.

Err….

ads678

2008 Smax 2l diesel, about 40/42ish usually.

toby1

About 34mpg according to the onboard computer. Golf GTI though with a heavy right foot at times.

I commute to work by bike as working in central Cambs, riding takes ~30 mins, driving ~60 mins.

Harry_the_Spider

Average over a full tank is 39 in winter and 42 in summer.

Will do nearer 50 on a run.

2.0 CDTi SMax.

Had it serviced yesterday and filled it up this morning, so will be interested to see the effects. Trip computer readings are only +/- 2% off actual and early indications are that it has improved.

I have a spreadsheet. You can tell.

fossy

Daily commute in suburbs, 1.8 petrol (old), about 22mpg.

9 miles in an hour each way. Annual miles about 8000. Motorway then about 38-40.

weeksy

35.3 over about 40,000 miles.

My KTM is up closer to 65mpg, but it’s not used often.

IHN

Genuine Q – why do people track it? You need to use as much fuel as you need for the journeys you’re making, what does averaging the amount you use tell you?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Generally sits at around 18-20.

2.5l I5 Focus ST. Didn’t and generally doesn’t bother me but starting to do a lot more mileage and it can get expensive. Small tank doesn’t help

Harry_the_Spider

Genuine Q – why do people track it? You need to use as much fuel as you need for the journeys you’re making, what does averaging the amount you use tell you?

It tells me if something is wrong with the car 40, 40, 40, 40, 30 – fault.

Also, I like spreadsheets.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer 2.0l diesel ( 170HP )..38mpg over its lifetime
    Audi A6 Allroad 3.0l V6 Diesel S-Tronic ( 272 HP)..
    I’ve never looked and dont particularly want to know …
    Both cars are run on premium diesel (97ron) …
    Higher mpg when the missus is driving as she has a lighter right foot than myself ..😁

5lab

36mpg in a gutless 1.8 petrol signum over 60,000 miles. mostly driven by my wife. Big heavy car with an na petrol

premium diesel (97ron) …

haha, you sure about that?

endoverend

C’mon, give us some clues, what does 3 MPG….

1/4 mile racer…Cessna?….

johnners
    Free Member

49.8 over the last 41000 miles from a 320d auto.

Genuine Q – why do people track it?

I could say something about recognising problems early from MPG but I reckon any problem causing a significant change would show up another way anyway. So genuine answer – no real reason except I like to, and since I’ve done it for the past 250000 miles in this and my previous 2 cars there’s a bit of the compulsive about it.

hodgynd
    Free Member

5lab..no.
    But it’s what it says on the pump..

Yak

T5 – 31mpg

IHN

Also, I like spreadsheets.

there’s a bit of the compulsive about it.

These are the answers I am happy to accept 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

So that they can tell strangers on the internet about it.

mashr

haha, you sure about that?

That caught my attention too…..

42mpg in a diesel Mondeo – very exciting and annoyingly also about the same as the Fiesta ST that went before it, and only slightly better than the 38mpg my old Clio 182 did

5lab

no.
    But it’s what it says on the pump..

I suspect it doesn’t. Diesel typically has a RON of around 50 – you specifically want it to pre-ignite, or the engine wont run. Premium diesel has exactly the same explosive qualities as non-premium (this is different to petrol; high-ron petrol is less ‘eager’ to explode, so more of it can be put in a cylinder at once, generating more power (but not more power per litre of petrol)).

The difference between cheap and premium diesel is what they add to it. It probably ‘cleans’ your engine a little, but whether this is actually advantageous is another question.

edit : looking at this article, v power diesel actually has less energy and a lower RON than regular diesel.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power

doomanic

According to the onboard computer my 520D Touring has averaged 40.8 in the 30k miles since I bought it, which is worse than the older, less efficient 325D Touring it replaced doing similar trips.
    Last full tank was 42.2 calculated from mileage covered and fuel added. No commuting in that tank either so I was a little disappointed. I don’t hang around though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont track it , i do some mental arthmetic at the pump

in the landy at least i know if it drops below 20 the tappets need doing.

philjunior
    Free Member

People quoting figures to 0.1mpg does the wind never blow? Do you always drive exactly the same roads with the same traffic?

Mine varies from 35mpg if absolutely thrashing it or cold start driving around town when the battery needs a charge so stop start doesn’t kick in to 60mpg on a steady run.

50 is usually my target if I’m driving sensibly, under 40 on a run feels a bit naughty.

The GF’s van got 30mpg when I was driving uneconomically to empty the tank enough to allow fitment of a diesel heater, to about 40mpg driving home with her following in my car.

stevied
    Free Member

27.1 in my E46 320ci.

Drac

The car uploads to a database I access that with an app.

singletrackmind

3mpg means track days as that’s around formula economy
    Impossible on the public highway unless you drive with the brakes on, in an abrams m1 main battle tank
    They do about 3mpg

earl_brutus

overall average for the last 40,000 miles is 29.7mpg, 2006 mercedes 4×4 diesel, saw it hit 40mpg once on the way to scotland when it was a 50mph speed limit the whole way

fossy

Tracking it – I don’t, the computer does it, and it’s reasonably accurate. Currently doing a later commute with a 9am start – 22mpg. If I do the 7 or 7:30 starts it’s about 26-30 mpg (less traffic).

Unless we’re all doing the same journey, all these figures we are quoting aren’t comparable.

It’s always worth keeping an eye of fuel use as it can indicate a problem with the car. Fortunately, my car hasn’t ever got worse of better in the 18 years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The car uploads to a database I access that with an app.

well when you hand it back at the end of the rental they will know how its been driven at least.

mashr

singletrackmind

They do about 3mpg

They also stop from 30mph in 10ft – safety first!

w00dster

The computer in my Berlingo van says 47.5 mpg over the last 6700 miles. That’s generally long runs leaving early in the morning, I think the average speed was over 40 mph.
    Now I’m doing much shorter runs in a Kia Ceed Estate, getting 41mpg. I’m lucky to get to 40mph now let alone average it.
    I’m thinking of getting rid of the van soon as it’s no longer needed, can’t decide if I should go green and get an I3 or something like a BMW M240i. Quite different running costs between those two I imagine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

In my daily, Long term from new: 63mpg.

In my pub car: 35mpg.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Spinoff from how much to fill up, Whats your MPG’ is closed to new replies.