• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spesh “the captain” tyre. Change for trail riding or not??
  • Xan
    Free Member

I have these on my new bike. Used on easyish trails and canal paths/road and seem ok, but not sure if to buy new tyres for more serious trail riding. Tend to do Glen Tress and AE forrest so have a habit of being wet and slippy.

Dont want to spend any more than £35 a tyre. Was looking at Panacer Fire fox. Are these any good?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have used my “the Captain” tyres in wales and the peaks as well as on the south downs in thick mud and they have been fine with plenty of grip in all conditions and they dont drag on smooth surfaces. the only thing i have found is that they can ping off rocks a bit but no worse then any other tyre i have used.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Give the Spesh tyres a few rides first, then decide!

BoardinBob

Xan, obviously I’ve got the same tyres. They’re not too bad actually and held up very well at GT on Saturday.

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks.

Was thikning they might be ok, but looking at tread I thought they were a bit bare. Didn’t want to just go and try them incase I found that I was struggling to do climbs. Especially at the start of AE forrest. The slippy one can be hard enough with good tyres never mind s**t ones.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

When i got mine i was thinking that they would be only good in the summer but the tread works well on slippery surfaces though i do run mine at 30psi and tubless so that may help.

Christowkid
    Free Member

A lot of people in my lbs use them, and they recommended them to me. Though a bit skit-ish in very wet conditions, I find them quite good.
    Last year I asked a similar question, and got a lot of favourable replies on here from users. My first session using them was bizarre, the trails were either dry enough to be dusty, or round the corner huge muddy splodges. They coped with it well, apart from the worst, when mud only tyres were called for. I’ve always been a big fan of Spesh’s stuff.
    Go on…..give them a go!
    cheers
    Q

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Looks like I’ll be sticking with them. Looks like I have 60 bucks to spend on some other new toys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spesh “the captain” tyre. Change for trail riding or not??’ is closed to new replies.