Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spesh STOUT axle replacements needed, would it be worth it?!
  • paulwatts
    Free Member

Hi Folks!
    Advice needed cos I’m not very technical.
    I found a wheelset at the dump!
    They are DT 445D rims on Stout hubs. Each hub has the axle removed 🙁
    Can I get replacement qr axles?
    Has anyone got any please?
    Would it be worth it?
    If I replaced the hubs, is that a better idea? If so what good budget hubs should I get?
    Have you got any please?!

THANKS!!!! Paul 07776143890 ieatpies1@googlemail.com

patriotpro
    Free Member

I have a a 445d with a stout hub in the cellar going for cheap if you’re interested – drop me an email and we’ll sort sommat out.

PS – The rim is knackered.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is the axle itself missing, or the quick release spindle? If so you can buy these cheaply from other companies like DT Swiss.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Chances are they were at the dump for a reason and I would put them back there . If the “axles” you refer to as missing are actually DT Sraxles , the thick skewer that holds the wheel in place they are about £50 each to replace . Bearings could be shot , alloy nipples could be breaking regularly etc etc .

paulwatts
    Free Member

Yes, both axles are missing.
    Thanks patriotpro I’ll mail you!

##Appreciate all your help guys##

Pook

I just swapped the hubs for deores when mine went.

julianwilson
    Free Member

As per the above post: the build quality on specialized own wheels a few years ago was legendary in its badness: alloy nipples to save weight made for frequent failures: a few friends eventually had their wheels completely rebuilt under warranty after several early spoke snappages/failures.

But is the “axle” you see missing looks like it should be a 9/10mm (front/back respectively) tube/rod going throgh the centre of the hubs, then replacements are much cheaper on superstarcomponents.com Click here: (top two products on this page)

DO you have a friendly bike shop you could ask for an opinion on the bearings and straighness/tightness of the rim/spokes?

paulwatts
    Free Member

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!
    Got some good ideas now

CLOSED

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spesh STOUT axle replacements needed, would it be worth it?!’ is closed to new replies.