Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Spending £50 notes…
  • the-muffin-man

A customer paid me in £50s a few weeks ago, but you feel like some sort of hardened forgery artist when trying to spend them.

The look of fear on some shopkeepers face is quiet special!

You hardly see any now, but £50 goes nowhere in this day and age, so perhaps cash machines should dispense a few more.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t spend them.

Use them for picking whale meat out of your teeth.

It’s the STW way 😀

zilog6128

I just get rid of mine in Waitrose. They don’t bat an eye. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, cashpoints around here are full of the buggers. Depends where you shop but as mentioned Waitrose don’t care.

If I take £500 out £400 are in £50’s.. less volume in the wallet mind..

br
    Free Member

Use them for fuel, as in pay for petrol/diesel 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

S-T-R-I-P-P-E-R-S

zanelad
    Free Member

S-T-R-I-P-P-E-R-S

Yep, exchange them for Peter’s Pounds and away you go.

jimjam
    Free Member

Rent boys and crystal meth.

iolo
    Free Member

I was in Spar in Vienna. A young boy of no more than 6 tried to buy an ice cream with a 500 Euro note. Funnily enough, they refused his money.

ads678

We had some the other day, but Toys r us were happy top take them.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

You know that funny thing they do when they look at the note and hold it up to the light?

Well I do that back to them when they give me the change. freaks ’em out!

Rubber_Buccaneer

A customer paid me in £50s a few weeks ago

Can’t you pay them into the bank? Bit of cash in hand work?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Fifties, pfft line the gerbil cage wiv ’em…

You want one of these:

djglover
    Free Member
    unovolo
    Free Member

GrahamS

Yup, cashpoints around here are full of the buggers.

The cash machines in Gateshead still give out fivers. Seriously.

jon1973
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

Bit of cash in hand work?

Just because you are paid in cash doesn’t mean it has to be paid into the bank – as long as it’s accounted for! No point paying it in (and incurring costs), to draw it out again.

Obviously you Southern types are used to £50 notes – these are the first I’ve seen this year!

Stoner
    Free Member

[/quote]

Gateshead and the South Downs succinctly defined in two posts

cozz
    Free Member

we usually take them, no problems

But at the moment I have told staff to refuse them, there are gangs going round trying to pass of dodgy ones, that look quite good

So we won’t accept them at the moment (Nottingham/midlands area)

Rorschach
    Free Member

I got paid 2k in scottish £50 notes once…..I live in wales.
    There was 1 cashier at ASDA who would take them without a 15 minute wait for a supervisor.Everywhere else I tried would try to fob me off (not going in bank,then ‘someone’ would know I had it!!).

edhornby

I was offered a really good exchange deal a couple of years ago so took it – and got a 500euro note

I went to France with it and struggled to get shot of it until we went to a restaurant and a big gang of us sat down to eat, we were semi-regular at the restaurant

French banks are closed on Friday afternoons, weekends and Mondays…

tthew

IIRC on Radio 4 a couple of years ago they explained this was a policy to get more fivers into general circulation. At least 2 of the machines near my house dispense them. I almost always get a couple now, but never did until a couple of years ago.

Northwind

Change them for a nice bundle of scottish £100s (which for some reason, are always incredibly scabby, just to add to the fun)

GrahamS

IIRC on Radio 4 a couple of years ago they explained this was a policy to get more fivers into general circulation

Yep, but it’s definitely partly determined by the area. I can’t imagine a machine that lets you withdraw a fiver but doesn’t carry any twenties would be much use in central London 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lloyds Bank in Godalming still give out fivers too, only they’re a bit too grubby by all accounts.
    Last Christmas I was in the queue for a cashier, behind a posh old dear, Tweeds an’all, who was announcing to one and all that the five pound notes from the cash machine weren’t crisp enough!
    “I’m sending one to each of my grandchildren! My Grandfather used to send me a nice crisp Five Pound Note every Christmas. There’s nothing quite like getting a nice crisp Fiver for Christmas, is there?

Northwind

I used to work for a bank branch, that’s pretty common- mostly fives and tens. Also banknote collectors wanting unused copies of new mints.

(totally OT but; on this theme, I once convinced a banknote nerd that the next bank of england fiver was going to have the inventor Miles Bennett Dyson on it, but he wasn’t to tell anyone as it wasn’t announce yet. He went and told a collector’s forum, which got picked up by a load of websites and news pages, and only then did anyone look it up and discover that James Dyson invented the Dyson hoover.

Miles Bennett Dyson invented the Terminator

spacehopper

any scottish money or the one £50 note ive ever had.. go into the tesco self serve checkouts..

problem solved. 🙂

tomhoward

S-T-R-I-P-P-E-R-S

Not sure how or why the thread carried on after this to be honest

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You know that funny thing they do when they look at the note and hold it up to the light?

Well I do that back to them when they give me the change. freaks ’em out!

But at the moment I have told staff to refuse them, there are gangs going round trying to pass of dodgy ones, that look quite good

But do you know what to look for? (apart from a negative image of the queens head & a solid silver line)

molgrips
    Free Member

@Northwind – Genius 🙂

I was in Sweden a lot earlier in the year, I thought I’d better have some cash so got out 500kr which is in round terms £50 equivalent, it came in a single note.

I then learned that Sweden is the most cashless country in Europe so I flashed my card around all over the place, as I tend to do. Then after a while I realised I’d better spend this note so I went and bought a small pizza for dinner. I was met with a cold stare when I tried to pay with the note.. due to the largely cashless nature of trade he didn’t enough change.

Reminds me of an advert for cash machines (yes, they had to be advertised once) from maybe Halifax where the guy wakes up next to a lovely woman, they’ve run of bread or something so he goes to a bakery via the cash machine, all lovely and that. There was a Jasper Carrot spoof of it where he goes to the cash machine then attempts to buy a paper from a newspaper man at 6am with £20.

bob_summers

I didn’t know 50 was the biggest. My b-i-l is an oldschool handyman and only uses cash, always has a rubber-banded wedge of 200€ notes in his pocket, many of which have shopping lists for the builders’ merchants written on them in biro 😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

The cash machines in Gateshead still give out fivers. Seriously.[/quote]

😆

So, you can get the same amount of beers that we can then 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

There’s a cash point here in Sunderland that only dispenses £5 notes, with a maximum withdrawal of £50

footflaps

Obviously you Southern types are used to £50 notes

We just roll them up and use them as firelighters…..

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

bob_summers – Member
    I didn’t know 50 was the biggest. My b-i-l is an oldschool handyman and only uses cash, always has a rubber-banded wedge of 200€ notes in his pocket, many of which have shopping lists for the builders’ merchants written on them in biro

Reminds me of this I once got from a cash machine in Rochdale.

burko73

I bought a jacket and a sonos play 1 in john lewis a year or so ago with cash and as it was “over £200 ” (it was around £400 ) the assistant had to call another person over to witness counting the money that i gave him. Made me feel like a pikey or dodgy drug dealer geezer! It was just a bit of Xmas money and some money I’d made selling a bit of crack…..

Seriously, not crack but I have a firewood business and get paid in cash sometimes. PITA as it costs to get it into the bank to pay the bills and all goes through the books anyway and spending big lumps of cash these days people think you’re either a Tarmac laying travelling type, dealing class a’s or evading George Osborne… Everyone thinks they’re doing you a favour offering you cash….

molgrips
    Free Member

My first summer job as a student that paid a reasonable hourly rate – beyond yokel cash-in-hand farm jobs, the agency had cocked up somehow with payments to my bank so they had to give me two weeks’ wages in some form of payment that required me to go to their bank and get out the cash (I forget what it was).

A little excited at having this much cash on me (mid 90s so a bit more than today) I asked the somewhat surprised cashier for £50 notes. I spent about half of it en-route between their bank and mine…. a distance of some 300 yards… even so I felt a tit as the fifties caused some trouble in the shops. I think that was the last time I saw one actually despite having bought a few cars and two caravans in cash. Now that makes you feel like a dodgy geezer.

milky1980
    Free Member

Random fact: £50 notes are the only note that is cheaper to make than it’s face value.

IE it’s very common to forge them as the gains are huge. Shops steer away from them if they can, far too many good quality forgeries around. Plenty of forged £20 and £10’s about but they tend to be lower quality and easy to spot.

The fivers in ATM’s has been growing for a while now, since the credit crunch basically. People find it easier to budget their weekly spend if they have X amount of cash in their wallet, this grew in popularity around 2009 so more fivers were required. The BofE directly told ATM operators to stock £5 notes as a quick way to get a load into circulation, Natwest/RBS and Tesco were the ones to do it first, mainly at sites where they had 2 machines. One would be £20 and £10’s the other would do £10’s and £5’s. Proved very popular.

Current predictions are that cash use will drop by 50% in the next 10 years thanks to contactless/digital payment methods so the days of a large wedge of cash not generating some suspicion at shops/banks are numbered.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Spending £50 notes…’ is closed to new replies.