Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Speedplay frog cleats £235 or alternative
  • Wally

This has rather crept (or even hopped) up on me. I casually googled for some new cleats to be awash with “Discontinued” and Ebay £235 chancers for at £20 item. I guess time’s up for them – shame as I have three sets. Are Time Atac XC-8 an alternative to metamorphosise to? I have used SPDs but my knee used to hurt after a few hours, switched to Frogs and knee pain went, so I guess I need the floaty type. Any suggestions from other knee challenged riders?

bob_summers

The Time Atacs work fine for me – I use the road Speedplays and don’t have any issues with the float on the Atacs. Before their reliability went awry I used Candys, they were fine for float too but I’ll stick with the Atacs now I have them on two bikes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

FWIW I went from Time to CB to Shimano before my knee pain went completely.

What cured it in the end was figuring out why my legs were so badly aligned, turned out it stems at least partially from tight hip flexors. So there is hope.

IME the “float” offered by other brands is actually more restrictive, between 0 and whatever the nominal float is they just get progressively tighter untill you pop out of the pedal. Shimano nominally had half the float, but it’s like standing on ice, your foot rotates freely up to the spring, then there’s resistance and a click when it releases.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Wahoo Speedplay cleats work don’t they? (Everything I’ve read suggest they’re compatible with pre Wahoo models anyway) so just get some of those from a dealer or Wahoo direct.

ahsat

Knee challenged here and use Time’s on all my bikes very happily.

Daffy

Look road cleats also have a good degree of float.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Speedplay frog cleats £235 or alternative’ is closed to new replies.