• This topic has 51 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by 360.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Speedo briefs – acceptable in modern life?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Dear Forum members, I swim about five times a year so I see no reason to rush out and buy some fashionable knee-length swimming shorts especially as my old Speedo briefs are in good condition. Being a cyclist I have a flat stomach and decent glutes and legs so it’s not as if I’m offending the eye.

Mrs Gti keeps muttering “stranger danger” when I do wear my Speedos. I view this as verging on treachery to one’s spouse.

Who’s right? Please arbitrate.

sandwicheater

I’m going to need to see a photo in Brucy stance before I can decide.

jimdubleyou

As Mrs Dubs points out; unless you are David Beckham, she is not interested in seeing you in Speedos.

jam-bo

Are you wearing them to the park? If so, she is right.

In the pool and on the walk to/from the changing room. She is wrong.

hooli

No, absolutely not, ever.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought long ones out of pure shame. Guess I just feel more comfortable in knee length lycra 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No worse than a lycra clad roadie. Carry on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

giant_scum
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with wearing Speedos.
    Although Decathlon now do a pair of swim shorts that don’t increase drag too drastically and are quick drying.

scuttler

Mandatory in some public pools in France and Italy, though I think they permit lycra trunks that don’t go narrow around the thighs/hips.

Aussies call em budgie-smugglers.

DezB
    Free Member

Mrs Gti is right.

Keva
    Free Member

if you’re down the pool for two hours at a time with swimming cap, goggles, floats and energy drinks on the side, and you’re cranking 15second lengths in four different strokes then yes. Otherwise stick to the shorts 🙂

ads678

Lots of French holidays mean I’ve worn Speedo’s lots of times but always feel a bit weird in brief style ones, so bought some shorts style ones.
    These are better, but Living in the UK means my tan generally only starts at the knees down so I always have a white stripe below the trunks, so I have just purchased some longer ones which just look better IMO.

Obviously as jimdubleyou points out if you look like David Beckham, you can do what you like!

scuttler

if you’re down the pool for two hours at a time with swimming cap, goggles, floats and energy drinks on the side, and you’re cranking 15second lengths in four different strokes then yes

You missed the bit where after 15 second lengths you fanny around in the shallow end for 45 seconds changing kit, on-boarding fluids and yarning to equivalently arrogant punters. In your speedos.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Anyone else finding CFH’s GIF strangely hypnotic?

matt_outandabout

Poidh

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you’re swimming then all good, wear the right clothes for the activity regardless of your physique. For anything else bung some shorts on.

CheesybeanZ

Being a cyclist I have a flat stomach

Say what ? A flat what ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a very flat stomach, but to see it I have to lie on a glass table face down.

mattsccm
    Free Member

In the pool environment or the beach, of course. In fact the only thing acceptable rather than these bloody silly baggy things that serve no purpose except to make you look like Don Estelle. (ask your mum

edhornby

You described them as old…. This could be the issue, get a set of new ones as they could be going thin and see-through 🙁

As others have said, get the fitted boxer short style ones

DrJ

thin and see-through

Ewwwww 🙁

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I used to have a pair of those trunks but got thrown out of a pool when the “s” wore off

mattyfez

Just wear some tight boxer short type trunks if you really insist.

It is your right, of course to wear speedos. But outside an Olympic event, it’s generally viewed as a bit crass.

kerley
    Free Member

They are the best clothing for actually swimming in, just as lycra bibs are the best thing to cycle in. I wouldn’t walk around town in either.

mechanicaldope

DrJ – Member

thin and see-through

Ewwwww [/quote]

And thats coming from a doctor. He thinks it’s disgusting and he probably spends a sizeable proportion of each day with a finger up am old man’s bottom.

funkmasterp

That is genuinely one of the funniest things I’ve read in ages on here. I hope the OP is serious and has just never, ever seen another cyclist before 😀

Regarding Speedos the answer is no if just messing around in the pool on holiday. If you’re actually doing lengths etc then go for it.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Just to be clear, we mean “flat stomach” just like we talk about “flat earth”, right?

martinhutch

It’s not so much whether the OP has the stomach for his speedos, it’s whether anyone else has.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

grumpysculler – Member
    Just to be clear, we mean “flat stomach” just like we talk about “flat earth”, right?

As in believe in it despite all evidence to the contrary, or that its not been true for years?

Drac

You’ve not ridden with other forum members then?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-9QBUmELA[/video]

RustySpanner

And thats coming from a doctor. He thinks it’s disgusting and he probably spends a sizeable proportion of each day with a finger up am old man’s bottom.

And to be honest, I’m getting a bit tired of it.

CountZero

As in believe in it despite all evidence to the contrary, or that its not been true for years?

Either, take your pick.
    Even if the second choice is correct, it still amounts to the same thing after all.
    How he thinks he looks:

How he actually looks:

globalti
    Free Member

Gaaaah! In defence of my stomach, it’s not like the second picture! Nothing looks worse than a roll or blubber hanging over a tight pair of trunks and I ain’t got that.

FWIW I sent a pic of myself and my son in cycling gear at Cap Formentor to my agent in South Africa, as it was she who gave me the Qhubeka jersey I was wearing. “You look hot!” she commented. “Yes” I replied, “It was 32c and we were sweltering!”. “No, I mean HOT BODY!” she replied.

So there!

hols2
    Free Member

Not acceptable.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mLsU46h8IA[/video]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Swimming at the pool, they’re swimming clobber, whatever.

At a BBQ, probably a faux pas. Unless there’s pampas grass out the front.

mrhoppy

They’re fine

[video]http://youtu.be/REIo3LSDN60[/video]

DrJ

And to be honest, I’m getting a bit tired of it.

Ok if you’re going to be like that about it we can swap places for a bit.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Southern Comfort what a great ad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

perfect choice although I have matured into jammer versions these days

They do bring back memories of our paedo swim coach who deliberately ordered all our speedos two sizes too small especially for the lifeguards 8O.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Speedo briefs – acceptable in modern life?’ is closed to new replies.