Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Speeding vehicles on fire roads at Glentress – Forestry Commission response
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Goan – they are not fire roads – they are forestry roads. They are not singletrack with passing places

trailertrash

I think the issue is that if there is an accident the Police will treat it as a public highway, so best to be observing the Highway Code if you want to come off best (legally speaking) in the aftermath of an accident. Which kind of goes back to one of the original issues in the source of this whole issue – following the highway code on (trails and) fire roads at FC trail centres.
    I guess this means not standing around in the middle of the road deliberately getting in the way of speeding cars, as I and others are increasingly in the habit of doing, Leaving law enforcement to the cops? Well….what cops?

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – I know whats up there fella.

davidrussell
    Free Member

how can the polis treat it as a public highway in the event of an accident if its not treated as one in every other scenario?

I was initially fishing smee and you did bite 🙂 but its a serious question now.

davidrussell
    Free Member

what i've tried (poorly) to say above is its either a public highway, or it aint.

you can't investigate an accident and treat the road as a public highway if it wasn't treated as a PH in the first place.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Goan – so where are the singletrack road with passing places signs? For that matter where are the passing places? None of ewither exist and it is wider than a singletrack road.

trailertrash

The FC and Police line is that the road in question, like all open-access FC roads, is treated like any other public road (highway/singletrack/adopted/not adopted – doesn't matter), and it has an enforceable 15mph speed limit (for bikes as well as cars presumably), and it's illegal to injure people, drive without due care, drive under the influence of alcohol/drugs etc etc

Smee
    Free Member

There's one of them. Doesn't really look two cars wide now does it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Invisible passing place sign?. Its plenty wide enough for two cars.

Smee
    Free Member

You were the one that mentioned signs. Not wide enough for a couple of car without going into the verge though is it. What would you know anyway mr all cars are evil.

CountZero

It certainly looks wide enough for two cars to me, but a car thrashing along there at speed, meeting a couple of cyclists riding two abreast coming around a corner in the other direction is going to be in deep do-do. If drivers behave and stick to a sensible speed, then as far as I can see in that photo then there should be no real conflict. Trouble is, put some young drivers on a gravel road, and their surname changes to something out of Finland and they drive like an idiot.

DickBarton

Never mind the car issue…in that picture…where the f@ck has the enjoyment gone???

Smee
    Free Member

No idea, its just a random picture lifted off google images. Looks bloody cold though.

coogan
    Free Member

That pic was never taken at GT. No one has body armour and full facers on.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Speeding vehicles on fire roads at Glentress – Forestry Commission response’ is closed to new replies.