Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Speeding ticket, advice
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just had my first ever ticket drop through the door in nearly 20 years of driving.

Apparently I was travelling at 84 on a 70 dual carriage way.

– It was early on a Sunday morning (8am) on a quiet dual carriage (a31)
    – I accelerated to get past a van who was kind of randomly weaving close to white lines (like they were texting on their mobile)
    – the sneaky ass officer was at the bottom of a long hill, in the central reservation crouching behind the crash barrier, so whilst in a high viz jacket you could just see one shoulder
    – there were no signs stating traffic enforcement and I couldn’t see his vehicle.
    – I’m sure I wasn’t actually going that fast as my speedo read around 80 and I always thought they under read. No way to prove it.
    – the officer wasn’t there two hours later when it was much busier and loads of cars were speeding past me.

So I’ll hold my had up and do the course, no point in disputing it. But the main thing that annoys me is the sneaky underhandedness of it. He would have had to put himself and others at risk to get in that spot running across 2 lanes to hide himself behind the barrier.

Anyone bothered to write a letter of complaint about this sort of behaviour?

An expensive hour and a half ride round moores valley.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh dear…..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I predict four pages.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Here we go again 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not seeing any outs for you in that scenario I’m afraid.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If only you weren’t caught breaking traffic laws… sounds like you were making good progress too

scaredypants

He would have had to put himself and others at risk to get in that spot running across 2 lanes to hide himself behind the barrier.

meh, quiet dual carriageway etc. He was showing decent commitment though !
    (we’ve run giggling across that bit of road on night rides before now – the central res is steeper and slippier than you’d think 😀 )

jam-bo

Suck it up, buttercup

hora
    Free Member

Luckily that officer wasn’t a child or young rabbit. Ban him moderators

DT78
    Free Member

If safety was their concern they’d be working outside a school

project
    Free Member

It was early on a Sunday morning (8am) on a quiet dual carriage (a31)
    – I accelerated to get past a van who was kind of randomly weaving close to white lines (like they were texting on their mobile)

Hope you took the reg number and reported the errant driver to the police

iainc

Have you been offered an awareness course ?

Bregante

Perhaps two hours later when it was busier he had been called away to deal with a road traffic collision?

Edit. School on a sunday?

benji
    Free Member

If the van was weaving why was it safer to be alongside whilst travelling at an even greater speed?

It’s catching law breakers not a sport hence it doesn’t have to be fair.

They might not have been there two hours later because they were somewhere else maybe pulling a van driver from a crashed van on another road, or they were in the office of their superior being read a letter by a moaning whingebag who thought that time made a difference to speed limits.

Without seeing him get to the position, how do you know he ran, it’s a quiet dual carriageway, who was there to endanger?

Sorry Rockhopper no where near four pages 😆

scaredypants

TBF, A31 is quite often closed due to crashes

cloudnine
    Free Member

Edric64
    Free Member

I will go and put the kettle on …

thegreatape
    Free Member

Schools are closed on Sundays.

chewkw
    Free Member

DT78 – Member

– the sneaky ass officer was at the bottom of a long hill, in the central reservation crouching behind the crash barrier, so whilst in a high viz jacket you could just see one shoulder

… But the main thing that annoys me is the sneaky underhandedness of it. He would have had to put himself and others at risk to get in that spot running across 2 lanes to hide himself behind the barrier.

The officer’s time is not up yet so he can crouch there as much as he wants but one day when his time is up it will be a 10 tonnes lorry tyre tracks all over the crash barrier with the remains of high viz jacket tore in pieces … that will learn him for being an up tight petty person …

😯

Rorschach
    Free Member

DT78
    Free Member

The van was driving at that kind of irritating speed of pretty much the same as me at around 70 and had “leap frogged” a couple of times. I didn’t get his reg no.

A31 does have plenty of accidents. Not early in the morning on a Sunday though. Though if that officer insists on getting to that spot I wouldn’t be surprised if we do hear of him causing an accident. Definitly takes dedication. Maybe he is on commission.

MartynS

Do the course.
    You don’t have any sort of complaint against the officer.
    I would also respectfully suggest I you were caught at 84 there’s a good chance your speedo was nearer 90. They generally over read….

sv

Clear and visible road policing, I would write a letter.

DT78
    Free Member

Yes looks like a speed awareness course if I tick the box, £90 4 hours I need to take off work.

The course is offered for 79 to 86

project
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

DT78 – Member

Though if that office insists on getting to that spot I wouldn’t be surprised if we do hear of him causing an accident. Definitly takes dedication. Maybe he is on commission.

That is a deliberate attempt to exercise power for the sake of being in uniform. It is also the prospect of getting promotion I guess at the expense of others.

Power does get to the head but let’s hope the 10 tonners get him soon.

😈

edit: the link above … there you go.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So you were nabbed by a Snake in the Grass? Shit happens I’m afraid. Happened to me at 06.45 one Sunday on my way to work, 36 in a 30. I couldv’e mowed down a child or anything.
    I took the points as it would’ve grieved me to pay another £15 to be preached what I actually already knew after 37 yrs of nab/accident free driving. I was disappointed in myself to say the least.

Edit, I declared this gross violation on my next insurance & my premium actually came out cheaper.

Bregante

project – Member
    See it as a stepping stone to a future job.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/speeding-ban-cop-meredydd-hughes-5844911

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST
    I’ve met Med Hughes a few times over the years. One strange cookie that one.

falkirk-mark

Is there not something about not getting an accurate reading if there is another vehicle being involved. Workmate once done a really stupid overtake and got done with speeding only with no mention of overtake, he later found out the signal could have bounced off one vehicle then the next off the second vehicle giving a false reading. HTH

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah, let’s hope some kids don’t get their dad coming home from work day because he’s been killed doing his job.

That would be great.

You really are an idiot sometimes 🙄

downgrade
    Free Member

Dear Officer,

I’m sorry that irresponsible driving like mine leads you to have to put yourself in danger in the course of your work.

Thank you for your service, this has taught me an important lesson.

Yours etc.

DT78
    Free Member

The cost of me attending the course will work out as more than that chap paid for doing 90 in a 60.

I am half trolling but I am pretty annoyed by the sneakyness of it all. And the fact I’m pretty proud of the fact I had a clean record. Had.

I really don’t think I was actually doing 84 though I have no proof and given its a big hill and I was overtaking I quite possible could have been.

Sandwich

If safety was their concern they’d be working outside a school

Digging while in a hole is not a sound proposition. Choccy hob-nob with the tea please Edric.

chewkw
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

Yeah, let’s hope some kids don’t get their dad coming home from work day because he’s been killed doing his job.

That would be great.

You really are an idiot sometimes [/quote]

Well, if he is a father then he is a very selfish father for endangering his own life without due consideration for the living. i.e. kids. He is to blame not others and his stupidity cause his kids to grow up without a father. Just because he wants to exercise his petty power …
    🙄

orangeboy
    Free Member

Speedos don’t always over read.
    My golf is doing about 78 on GPS when car says 70

Oh and just take the ticket and stop complaining

nealglover
    Free Member

I really don’t think I was actually doing 84 though I have no proof and given its a big hill and I was overtaking I quite possible could have been.

If you genuinely believe you’ve been given a false speed reading then contest it in court.

The equipment may be faulty, not calibrated properly, etc.

(It probably isn’t though)

nealglover
    Free Member

Well, if he is a father then he is a very selfish father for endangering his own life without due consideration for the living. i.e. kids. He is to blame not others and his stupidity cause his kids to grow up without a father. Just because he wants to exercise his petty power …

You wished him dead just for doing his job.

As I said earlier.

You’re an idiot sometimes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

^ let’s not get started on those dickhead firefighters and soldiers either

Falkirk-Mark – think that was an issue with the old radar ones rather than the modern laser ones. I think….

chewkw
    Free Member

It will be more stressful if you have to go through all the red tapes just to contest the power of petty officer. You will be so stressed it is not even worth the hassle. The power of the bureaucrats is very strong as it is embedded so deep into the DNA of the society … we have zombie maggots ruling over our lives.

If you want to contest it then it is better done in the long run … you need to form some sort of pressure group to break the link between insurance and policing … the former exert indirect power over you while the latter work to act/support it.

😯

edit:

nealglover – Member

You wished him dead just for doing his job.

As I said earlier.

You’re an idiot sometimes.

Well, how many people has this officer caught with his deliberate action while in uniform? How many people would have to go through the stress because he thinks he should exert his power in petty ways?

With the accumulation of stress he caused others I don’t think he is fit to wear that uniform to consider himself a “public servant” but rather a person who dangerously exercise undue power on the public. It is of no loss to the public if he widows his family. 🙄

Live and let live … don’t be petty.

Relax, calm down and as the trendy people say … Chilllllll man!

nealglover
    Free Member

Well, how many people has this officer caught with his deliberate action while in uniform? How many people would have to go through the stress because he thinks he should exert his power in petty ways?
    With the accumulation of stress he caused others I don’t think he is fit to wear that uniform to consider himself a “public servant” but rather a person who dangerously exercise undue power on the public. It is of no loss to the public if he widows his family.

You aren’t doing anything to prove me wrong that’s for sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Speeding ticket, advice’ is closed to new replies.