Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Speeding in France
  • NJA

Just done a trip round France in my motorhome, and may (definitely did) have got flashed by a speed camera.

Anyone know what happens, do they have access to the DVLA records after Brexit? or will they not be able to track me down.

I had a lovely time, but don’t fancy paying a fine.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just tell them you were pissed, they’ll write it off

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve been flashed three times in France. 120 in a 100 zone on the motorway, wee bit over in a tunnel, 80 in a 70 IIRC correctly and another motorway one.
    Never heard anything from any of them.
    Oddly enough we were talking about this at work today. My colleague got a fine from the Germans but has been flashed several times in France and also never heard anything.

Bewilderedsassanack
    Free Member

Got done a couple of years ago. They have a reciprocal agreement with Uk. Fine was pretty small around 30 euro. Appeared through the post a couple of weeks later.

mrchrist

Yeah as above, fine in the post.

sharkattack

I’ve been flashed multiple times in France. Probably 5 or 6. Never heard anything.

The first time my Mrs was driving she got flashed and there was a fine waiting for us on the doormat when we got home.

masterdabber
    Free Member

They have a reciprocal agreement with Uk.

But is it actually reciprocal?  Do we actually issue fines to French drivers?

ads678

I got done in France a couple of years ago. Was just after a load of 90kph’s changed to 80’s or something.

Think the fine was 45€ or something.

My sister got done at the same time and ignored it and nothing else happened….

derek_starship
    Free Member

I was fined for jay-walking in Essen in 1992!

thepurist

Another speeding thread, but checking if attitudes are different for foreign speeding rather than at home?

winston
    Free Member

“But is it actually reciprocal?  Do we actually issue fines to French drivers?”

No, we don’t . But not only that. My mates dad is French, has a big house here and a pad in Paris. For the last 40 years he has been driving various French registered cars over here as his main vehicle. No speeding tickets, parking tickets or MOT.

jimmy748

I’ve driven 10’s of thousands of miles all over Europe in the last 6 years. Out of around 9-10 charges from rental car companies for offences, the only fine I’ve ever received was from a fixed speed camera Black post box sized pillar with a reflective band around it) in Northern France.

Dickyboy

For the last 40 years he has been driving various French registered cars over here as his main vehicle. No speeding tickets, parking tickets or MOT.

A mate of mine used to do the reverse when he worked in Paris and regularly popped back to blighty to swap his dodgy UK registered car for another so le cops didn’t get to know him too well 😀 “priorite d’anglais” was his phase de jour.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The only time you pay a French fine is when the Gendarme pulls you over in person, normally near a cash machine amazingly enough.

Switzerland is different as a fine there escalated from 50CHF to about 1800CHF and the threat of arrest on entry to the country.

TheDTs
    Free Member

As WCA says, don’t try to dodge the Swiss ones. A double kick in the plumbs when it’s a hire car and the hire co add an admin charge…
    (Also caught in a tunnel)

Bewilderedsassanack
    Free Member

Looks as if we’ve dropped out of the agreement post-Brexit regarding sharing of details:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/No-more-speeding-fines-in-post-for-UK-cars-in-France

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I got caught on the tunnel into Berne having driven tot he UK and back for a Wedding when the Icelandic volcano was stopping planes. Long drive in a little Lupo and didn’t spot the speed limit drop for the tunnel.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The only time you pay a French fine is when the Gendarme pulls you over in person, normally near a cash machine amazingly enough.

Yep, I got caught last month doing a naughty speed that would have been pretty serious in the UK.

Paid them €90 in cash and it was all done.

alpin
    Free Member

Few years back we spent 8 weeks travelling through France.

~190€ in fines waiting for me when I got home (home being Munich). Turns out the French are not as lenient when it comes to speeding as the Germans and the camera flashes on cherry-red (amber).

And the French obviously do have an agreement with the Germans.

Neil_Bolton

Drove in France in August and got flashed by a sneaky camera hidden on a side road. Not seen a thing; the recent outcome of Brexit means there is no replacement for the sharing of DVLA data yet – so no way for them to send a fine.

However, get knobbled by the local gendarme and you’re in for an expensive afternoon.

Also the same in Croatia when I got stopped (along with my BIL in the car ahead) for mistaking 120 km/h for 120 mph >whistles innocently<. Thankfully having two Croatian ladies in the car who were locals meant we got out of a very serious fine and ban…

5plusn8
    Free Member

French have an app, amendes.gouv you can pay your fines online. V quick and useful. Not that I have any experience of this. Ahem.
    They can get your details from DVLA, and write to you demanding payment, if you don’t pay then “enforcement” has to be done via the courts, and as far as I know has not ever happened.
    However if you make too much of an impact on the system then your offending reg number will get picked up on ANPR and they will bust you next time you hit France and take you in.
    So speed in different vehicle…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.