Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Speeding Fine/points?
  • Nomad
    Free Member

On the A627 this morning there was a speed camera van sat in the lay-by.

It is a 40 limit on this stretch of dual carriageway and had pulled out to pass a lorry doing 35. I was doing about 47 when I saw the van so I accept that I was over the speed limit.

However my question is – are you allowed to exceed the speed limit when overtaking a slower vehicle or can I expect a noce letter from plod in the post?

CHeers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nope you have to just accept the ticket. Unlucky join the millions of others with “criminal” convictions if you listen to what they say on the TV!! Oh and 3 points probably won’t even affect your insurance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No and maybe

47 mph on your speedo is likely to be 44 mph or so so you might get away with it

ski
    Free Member

You might be lucky and the radar was tracking the lorry and not you.

Nomad
    Free Member

TJ

It was actually 50 on my speedo but i reckoned on 47 actual speed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nomad – in that case yer going down!

sofatester
    Free Member

Hang him!

Drac

However my question is – are you allowed to exceed the speed limit when overtaking a slower vehicle or can I expect a noce letter from plod in the post?

Did you sit you driving test or are you just a bit special?

Nomad
    Free Member

Drac – kindly **** off!

Drac

I honestly can’t believe how stupid you can be to ask such a question.

porterclough
    Free Member

[irony]Clearly you should have stayed at 39mph on the wrong side of the road for ages and ages thus causing an enourmous accident but avoiding a speeding ticket.[/irony]

Personally though my foot stays pushed down on the accelerator until I’m safely back on the right side of the road – I’d rather risk three points than death.

And if anyone reading this is the person coming toward me that overtook on the summit of the Snake Pass last Friday at about 1mph faster than the other car forcing me to stop to avoid a head on smash, please don’t do that again – either stay where you are or ignore the 50mph signs or quit and brake if you see someone coming the other way – don’t just keep going and hope for best you braindead moron. Glad I got that off my chest.

Nomad
    Free Member

Good for you! As I said – Kindly **** off!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Come on Nomad to be fair it is a bit of a dim question though just admit it!?

FuzzyWuzzy

You’ll be fine (as long as you have diplomatic immunity)

hot_fiat

Depends who assesses the evidence and the circumstances. Real traffic cops will usually be ok with that, assuming there’s nothing particularly hazardous nearby: schools, crossings, junctions etc.

A bike cop’d probably be flashing for you to go faster.

Jobsworth civil servants sat in a miserable asbestos-laden crumbling 1960s office block in some God forsaken municipality on the other hand…

Yer doomed.

sofatester
    Free Member

Chill Winston 🙄

Edit – Not you Fiat, Nomad.

organic355
    Free Member

I think from memory of my last (and only) speeding ticket, if you are less than 10mph over the limit you may just get a caution, over 10mph and it is instant 3 points and a £60 fine.

So were you doing 50 or 47?

hora
    Free Member

I exceeded the speed limit this weekend. Does that automatically make me a criminal? What rankles is the ‘victim support’ surcharge?- Oh **** off.

Ive driven behind goodies who drive at 40 in a NSL. They’ll then drive through a 30mph village….at 40mph. The same folk probably sit in the middle lane of the motorway or refuse to filter back from the fast lane- doing 70mph creating a huge queue behind them. Folk who will get frustrated and leather it past creating angst further on down the road.

uplink
    Free Member

I think from memory of my last (and only) speeding ticket, if you are less than 10mph over the limit you may just get a caution, over 10mph and it is instant 3 points and a £60 fine.

I got done for 32 in a 30
    Guidelines are supposed to be +10% +2mph then you’re done

Nomad
    Free Member

Munqe chick – Perfectly reasonable question in my opinion.

porterclough
    Free Member

Ive driven behind goodies who drive at 40 in a NSL. They’ll then drive through a 30mph village….at 40mph.

I see this constantly on the Snake and Woodhead. 40mph all the way over then ignore the 30 sign in the villages. Utter twunts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nomad – Drac is right – stupid question.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Munqe chick – Perfectly reasonable question in my opinion.

Isn’t the original question essentially “Is it okay to break the law if I’m in a hurry?”

Surely everyone knows that the speed limit is a limit, not a target average speed – if you have to overtake someone, you should wait until you can do it safely whilst going within the limit?

Joe

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Hora I Was just saying what the news and TV say!!!

hora
    Free Member

Munque- I wasnt having a go at you- it was a general rant/moshpit fling.

Nomad is just feeling worried/mulling over it. Ive been through that as have others. Namely inbetween Peebles to the motorway in a borrowed fast car. Ive no idea why I didnt receive a ticket but worried for over 2weeks.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Surely the only reason you need to overtake someone is if they are driving lower than the limit, so this would suggest you’re speeding as soon as you overtake unless they’re trundling. However the highway code does suggest you overtake swiftly so as to complete the move as quickly and safely as possible, one could assume that creaping past at wagon-5mph isnt safe or sensible. I’d hope to be pulled, rather than camerad in that instant. In your case I’d expect 3 points.

I once overtook a really REALLY annoying 20-in a 30, 30 in a 40,40 in a 60 driver I’d been stuck behind for 10+ minutes on a dry fine day. It just so happened that the time I chose to overtake (a widening in the road) there was a crowd of 10+ police standing at the opposite side of the road. I opened the taps, flew past the car (in a mass of noise) and pulled in completely off the throttle having spotted the police. And JUST as a I passed them my over-run fueling ignited with the loudest backfire I’ve heard in a long time 😀 Liverpool police must have wondered who was shooting at them – they all turned round to look lol. Fortunately no tickets from that incident!

Nick

it’s **** dumb to ask a question like that on here

Drac

Nope, there is sometimes a local discretion but if your over than your speeding and you can be done.

Modern speedos are very accurate too so you were probably doing nearer 50 than your random guess of 47.

hora
    Free Member

it’s **** dumb to ask a question like that on here

THAT I do agree with. Its all Liberal-handringing-anticar-hemp-angst crowd on here 😆

hot_fiat

Modern speedos are very accurate too

unless its on my KTM, whose digital speedo appears to suffer from a great deal of teutonic enthusiasm.

mudshark
    Free Member

Why’s this in the bike forum?!

Tim
    Free Member

uplink – Member

I got done for 32 in a 30
    Guidelines are supposed to be +10% +2mph then you’re done

I dont think they are, i just think thats a general myth due to speedo innacuracy (generally underread by about that)

If you got caught doing 32, your speedo must have been reading 35ish, so even with 10% over 30 you would have still been caught 🙂

uplink
    Free Member
    Tim
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Tim

http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/faq.html#ACPO

ah ok, fair enough.

although it also says this:

Bear in mind that exceeding a speed limit by any amount whatsoever is an absolute offence, and a police officer is fully entitled to charge a driver for doing, say, 31 in a 30 limit outside a school at closing time, or in a busy High Street

So the 10%+2 is when a fixed penalty is automatically issued, but you can still be done for breaking the speed limit below that, dependant on conditions and the Coppers judgement

miketually
    Free Member

[irony]Clearly you should have stayed at 39mph on the wrong side of the road for ages and ages thus causing an enourmous accident but avoiding a speeding ticket.[/irony]

Clearly he should have stayed behind the vehicle doing 35 in a 40 zone.

hora
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

Why’s this in the bike forum?!

To get maximum abuse?

miketually
    Free Member

Bear in mind that exceeding a speed limit by any amount whatsoever is an absolute offence, and a police officer is fully entitled to charge a driver for doing, say, 31 in a 30 limit outside a school at closing time, or in a busy High Street

Is the clue not in the use of the word limit?

Limit n. The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.

uplink
    Free Member

Limit n. The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.

In this interpretation it means absolute minimum 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Clearly he should have stayed at home or used our dear Leaders glorious transport network.

ourmaninthenorth

Perfectly reasonable question in my opinion.

It is. If you’re an idiot.

Its all Liberal-handringing-anticar-hemp-angst crowd on here

I always did wonder why you just can’t stay away, hora.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Speeding Fine/points?’ is closed to new replies.