Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • speeding fine nightmare
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got caught in Scotland speeding with no mot. It expired a day or so earlier. The police car computer said I had no insurance either, which I knew to be incorrect. Turned out the insurance company hadn’t updated their computer record after I had been issued with and had paid for the cover.

I had to go to court on all three charges despite supplying the PFs office with the insurance papers.

I went to court, where it turned out the PFs office had failed to check up on the insurance information. The case was rescheduled and the sherrif told me I wouldn’t need t reattend.

I think I was fined and got three points for the speeding ( 70 in a 50 or thereabouts) and a fine but no points for the expired mot.

bobbyspangles

i have posted in on the chat forum, not the cycling forum.

i am not looking for words to make me feel better.

the information i have stated is true and correct to my best knowledge, i am waiting to hear from my lawyer but until then i wanted to shout into the void that is the internet.

thank you for your consideration, i plan on going for a long ride tomorrow to help clear my head and focus on the new year.

allthepies
    Free Member

It sounds like you bought a car, then drove it without insuring it. Then drove at 60 in a (albeit temporary but presumably signed) 40 zone.

Good job you didn’t hit anyone isn’t it.

Cougar

Can I just recommend Waitrose’s Heston Blumenthing salted caramel popcorn? It’s really nice.

Gary_C

Do you get a good view from up there on your high horse ?

🙄

totalshell

ae you sure the car was yours.. was nt it lent by a bloke in the pub so you could test drive it ..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I think you’re a muppet. Cars are lethal weapons treat them like such.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like I am not the first to say:

62 in a 40 WTF?

If you don’t like it don’t post up about it.

imnotverygood

Ah. The trolling has only appeared on page 2. Must be Christmas

bigyinn
    Free Member

And so the insults and finger pointing begins….

konabunny
    Free Member

Yes, it is a good job he didn’t hit anyone, he’s been caught by the bizzies and now he’s going to learn what a naughty boy he’s been. All is right with the world.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know it’s easy to point the finger but this does seem over the top.

bobbyspangles

i know it was a stupid mistake and one i am not proud of but i live in hope that the punishment will not outweigh the crime.

MartynS

From what I can see you’re in court for a no insurance charge. That carries points and a good fine. You also said if you were charged with speeding again that would take you over 12 points.

My guess is you’re in court because the points no insurance attracts is going to take you over 12 points. You need to attend if you might be banned. It might not be for that long,
    If you have a soliciter let him do the hard work. However give him as much as you can to work with.

got to be honest.. I think you should work on the assumption you’re gettin banned for a while, if you are up on 9/10 points you can’t plead an exemplary driving record…
    when you get to court, look smart and don’t drive there. If you get a ban you can’t drive home!

go and register on pepipoo, lots of good (nonjudgemental)advice over there

good luck

rickmeister

Another vote for pepipoo… do your research, its very helpful. Hope it works out and you understand where it may end up.

nickjb
    Free Member

I was under the impression that exceeding a temporary speed limit is a non-endorsable offence. You can get a fine, but not points. There are exceptions such as Motorways and I suspect at 62 you were probably over the non-temporary limit, too, so it might be moot. Sounds like a job for a good lawyer.

MartynS

I was under the impression that exceeding a temporary speed limit is a non-endorsable offence. You can get a fine, but not points. There are exceptions such as Motorways and I suspect at 62 you were probably over the non-temporary limit, too, so it might be moot. Sounds like a job for a good lawyer.

no.. the only possible way out of it is if the highways/council traffic dept havn’t done the temperary traffic order lowering the limit which is unlikely.
    They are quite hot on limits through road works as its protection for the workers.
    Was told that cameras in roadworks are ALWAYS active.

Flaperon

Just because you bought the car from the previous owner doesn’t make the insurance policy on that car null and void – I could insure my neighbour’s car and not tell her, but the insurance would be valid.

What’s far more likely is that the car had no insurance on it at all – hence flagging up on the police computer when you were pulled. You were driving without insurance, so cough up and take the points. You won’t be punished twice for speeding, though I doubt it’s going to help mitigate the punishment.

Companies like Aviva will provide 24 hours any driver cover on a car for about £15, which is what I do if I want to test drive a car.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘speeding fine nightmare’ is closed to new replies.