• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Speed rating on tyres
  • swoosh
    Free Member

My current tyres are rating ‘V’ and i’ve looked this up and that is good for 149mph. The next one down is ‘H’ which is good for 131mph. I dooubt very much that I’m going to do either of those speeds, and i’m certain i wont be doing them for long enough to make the tyre disintegrate.

So my question is this: Do i really have to have the ‘V’ rating that is currently on the car or will the lower ‘H’ rating do ok?

I do a mix of town and motorway driving. most of the motorway driving is not just short sections on the motorway, it tends to be for about 20 junctions or something like that.

I’ve had a quote for the lower ‘H’ rating tyres which is over £20 cheaper than the same tyres with a ‘V’ rating so worth saving.

MartynS

IIRC the speed rating on the tyre has to be higher than the top speed of the car, so if your car will do 147mph you need the V rating or the insurance is invalid, and it’ll fail its MOT

stratobiker
    Free Member

Depends on what tyres are recommended for the car.
    If you fit a lower speed rating than recommended and crash, you’ve handed your insurers a get out clause.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As long as you stick with the manufacturers reccommended rating (It’ll be in the handbook, probably a choice, too) you’re fine.

Kieran

Is it not down to the weight of the car as well? I have to put Y rated ones on my Volvo which cost a fortune, but it’s a big car with a big, powerful engine so better safe than sorry

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not related to load, no – your tyre size and inflation pressure are related to tyre load, the speed rating is the max speed the tyre can take for 10 mins at its rated max load. If you overload the tyre you effectively reduce that max speed rating I suppose, but they’re meant to be selected size by load, then speed by max speed. If a manufacturer was speccing a higher speed tyre but on oddly sized tyres for the car I’d find it a bit odd! There are very few cars that NEED a Y rated, I’d be interested to see if it’s spec’d in the handbook and which model you have!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

It gets even more expensive if you have to have a reinforced tyre as well which is why i am glad that i have 16 inch wheels on mine and not the normal 17’s.

Marge
    Free Member

what car & tyre size (size & Load index) is it Swoosh?

swoosh
    Free Member

Ford Focus TDCi. 205/55/16 V Pirelli P7 currently on there but i’m wanting Goodyear NCT5s. Only tyre i’ve never felt is lacking in any department (grip in wet, low road noise, economical etc) and apparently, what the boys in blue in Notts use.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can you get a Goodyear Eagle F1 in that size as they are truly superb tyres.

Earl
    Free Member

NCT5 are very average tyre. Harsh, nosie, average grip. But they do last forever. After 2 sets, I went for conti prem contacts for and extra £5 each and everything was much inproved. My economy even got better from 42 to 46mpg.

swoosh
    Free Member

well if it’s such a bad tyre, why do all the marked up patrol cars in nottingham use them?

trail_rat
    Free Member

perhaps cause they last forever ….

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I am using michelin primacy tyres in that size with a H rating and that is on a laguna II dci i paid £300 for 4 in december and they are a highly regarded tyre.
    You can use some of the oline sites to check what your car sould have.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Just wait until you get to high end cars where they specify the choice of three tyres acceptable for your car. Costs a bl00dy fortune

DrP

i’m in the W camp i’m sure……..

DrP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Speed rating on tyres’ is closed to new replies.