Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Speed cameras on the M1 set to 72mph…fake news?
  • jekkyl

Fb posts with millions of replies reckon

All cameras on M1 and M25 go live at midnight tonight, set at 72mph. Auto ticket generating system with 6 point penalty. Watch your speed and tell everyone else tonight, any speed over 90mph is instant ban & possible court & custodial sentence order!! Drive safely.

Fake News?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I hope it’s not fake news. Will slow those roads down to safe levels and stop imaginary traffic jams from bunching and tailgating

Drac

Test one let us know how you get on.

matt_outandabout

What do you think? Go on, think for a moment about how fines work and are applied – then come back and tell us…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

6 points for 72 in a 70. Yeah, right…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Facebook you say? Must be true.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will slow those roads down to safe levels and stop imaginary traffic jams from bunching and tailgating

Unfortunately managed motorways seem unable to sort out tailgating, that 1mph you think you have on the other guy see’s to that.

BoardinBob

Absolute bollocks and stereotypical of the dirge spread on Facebook

jekkyl

Says here it’s just the smart motorways where a limit is displayed otherwise national speed limit applies.https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/local-news/m1-smart-motorway-cameras-how-2407004

wrightyson
    Free Member

I drove up the m1 on the 29th at an indicated 79 for most of the journey, not had a fine yet.

sobriety
    Free Member

It’s the Russians testing their disinformation network for the next referendum.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😱🔥🔥🔥🔥

timbog160

They are always set to bl**dy 60 for no apparent reason anyway when I’m on there!!

rogermoore

I believe the ones south of Sheffield are set at 60 to help air quality – not sure if this is more fake news?
    RM.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s right, 60 does seem to be the new 70.

”monitoring air quality” speed limits make me LoL.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Yes it’s definitely fake except the automatic production of ticket which generates the NIP

I got flashed a few weeks back and posted a thread on it as I was literally doing 40 in one of those managed sections a quick email , plod who deal with traffic for that section of motorway said it’s the NSL + 10%

Interesting fact however is that they can ping you a mile up the road after you have gone through the camera and hoof it and that the cameras on the other side can ping you too

Further to that they can identify if your on a mobile phone

athy62
    Free Member

That campaign against tailgating – I’m right behind it.

simondbarnes

The speed limit on a motorway is 70mph so I’d have absolutely no issue with the cameras being set to 72mph.

thelordhumungous
    Free Member

The 60mph air pollution control around Sheffield is true – the local schools have some of the worst asthma stats as the motorway runs so close to built up areas, they switch on the control when it spikes during rush hour making people drive at a speed that is more efficient for reducing pollutants. That’s why its always on when its busy but for no apparent reason as there’s been no crashes/lane closures.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Except most car Speedos are not capable of being read that accurately due to the parallax effect unless they’re a digital read out. Hence the 10% leeway etc. Can’t see how they could enforce this based on present standards of in car speed measurement.

martinhutch

Drove past Birmingham on the M5 last weekend – do the gantries still ping you if the variable speed limit is not in operation? Not worried as I’m a good boy, obviously, but a lot of people were zipping through.

andy8442
    Free Member

I heard the exact same story 2 or 3 months ago. Fake news.

bob_summers

So people can’t stick to speed limits because of parallax error?

TheGingerOne

No, it’s that an indicated 70mph on your speedo might actually be anywhere between e.g. 64mph to 77mph. So even if you are sticking to what you think is 70, you’re probably not, hence the need for leeway

bails

70mph on your speedo might actually be anywhere between e.g. 64mph to 77mph

How far away from the speedo is your needle?!

cyclelife
    Free Member

So people can’t stick to speed limits because of parallax error?

Analogue speedometers can not be read accurately due to their small size and the fact you are probably not sitting directly infront of the centreline of the clock.

bails

Drove past Birmingham on the M5 last weekend – do the gantries still ping you if the variable speed limit is not in operation? Not worried as I’m a good boy, obviously, but a lot of people were zipping through.

The new ones further south do. I was heading toward Wales and saw someone coming north get flashed, nothing on the gantries at the time.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

do the gantries still ping you if the variable speed limit is not in operation?

They’re supposed to yes, based on nsl obviously rather than a reduced speed. There was lots of crying foul when the m62 ones went live and actually enforced NSL even though the gantry showed nothing. I’d like to think the complainants got stung with bans for clearly being too clueless to be allowed to drive, I’ve a nagging suspicion however the tickets probably all got cancelled as aresult of some silliness like fixed safety cameras should be signposted and have a confirmation of the relevant limit is making safe with that signposting.

bsims
    Free Member

@martin hutch and bails.
    If you are referring to those between jct 5 and jct 6, I don’t think it is variable, they are just regular speed cameras of the latest variety. They may be able to set them remotely though, I’m sure someone on STW is a safety camera aficionado!

Edit 4a and 6. I have not seen any variable speed limits yet, Is the smart motorway up and running?

bsims
    Free Member

You are correct, they are variable.

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

bails

4a and 6. I have not seen any variable speed limits yet, Is the smart motorway up and running?

All 4 lanes (old hard shoulder as lane 1) were open so I presume it must be. They couldn’t run it as a smart motorway without having everything in place to close lane 1 in case of a breakdown surely?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ooh and the M27 is going through a “smart motorway upgrade” and has cameras dotted all along it.

I was told that the Ave Speed Cameras would be turned on last Monday, but I came through early morning and they weren’t on then.. maybe when I go home I’ll find them on 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

bsims
    Free Member

All 4 lanes (old hard shoulder as lane 1) were open so I presume it must be. They couldn’t run it as a smart motorway without having everything in place to close lane 1 in case of a breakdown surely?

That does make sense. I was thinking the 4 lanes were for extra capacity and traffic officer could close off lanes in the same way they do on a regular motorway.

I don’t recall seeing the gantry square signs like those around Bristol and the M6.

Flaperon

It’s a load of bollocks. Why do people fall for this stuff?

garage-dweller

@bikebouy

I think some may be on around bottom of the M3/turning to M27 Eastbound at J5 (there were 50 limits up there last night at about this time).

Bit of a muddle along there last night. 50 became NSL promptly followed by a matrix sign saying 40 – Lanes Closed Ahead then about 3 miles to the lane closure which ran a long way down. I guess they were still setting out for the vegetation clearance and hard shoulder works which is what I think they are just starting on.

Sorry for hijack

mattyfez

Same reason they fell for Brexit, they just belive what they are fed by targeted social media.

No mental capacity for critical thinking.

muddy@rseguy

If you cover your car in tinfoil the cameras can’t detect you*

* I may have just made this up**

** I may just be saying that I just made this up and my first statement is 100% true as I am actually working for the: Russian trolls/dark web/shadowy government organisation/lizard conspiracy etc. and yes, we are out to get you

Or, I may have shares in Bacofoil.

nickdavies

Bit of both isnt it – i thought this was just the roll out of enforcement 24/7 even when the speed limit signs are turned off. Which is a fair cop anyway really – anyone going through too fast doesnt really have a leg to stand on, speed camera signs are up, its 70. As far as i was aware the worcestershire m5 cameras are already working like this. If i see a gantry i go through at 70 and always have, signs may be off but im not risking the buggers getting me!

The 6 points/instaban etc is fake news, afaik its just like a regular speed camera youll just get a nip and dealt with as usual.

martinhutch

There are massive speed camera signs on all the gantries so no excuse really. I think a lot of people will be getting nabbed.

sepultura
    Free Member

Except most car Speedos are not capable of being read that accurately due to the parallax effect unless they’re a digital read out. Hence the 10% leeway etc. Can’t see how they could enforce this based on present standards of in car speed measurement.

Ha, who told you that? Parallax very unlikely to make a significant difference, but the point still stands as speed accuracy (especially on cheaper manufacturers) can be way out (easily over 2%). Most decent manufacturers are pretty spot on these days, and if it is reading incorrectly, it is more likely to be slowing you down (i.e. reading 70, but is actually 67 mph).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Speed cameras on the M1 set to 72mph…fake news?’ is closed to new replies.