Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Speed Camera Action!
  • greasystain
    Free Member

Have you ever been flash by a speed camera whilst on a bike?

igm

No – but I aspire

greasystain
    Free Member

Same here – Just wondering if there are any good spots to do this. Like a camera at the bottom of a big hill?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We have got one of the “slow down” smiley faces ones to activate but not a proper gatso.

ciron
    Free Member

It’s easy to trigger the ‘slow down’ thing on Muswell Hill in North London, and there’s a speed camera a little further down the hill.

Not sure if it flashes as it’s a little hard to look behind at 40mph with traffic lights rapidly approaching.

scruzer
    Free Member

30 limit on steepish descent with speed camera in Rotherham passing Corus steelworks. That would be easyily done

coatesy
    Free Member

Always tempted by one I reckon is do-able, but knowing sods law, there’ll be a copper from the station just up the road following me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, down the Avenue in Southampton on a fully faired, long wheelbase, under-seat steering recumbent….!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Fast doesn’t even begin to describe it! Saw the flash in the rear view mirror.

zangolin
    Free Member

Yes – managed to get a flash in 30mph zone going down Aylestone Hill into Hereford city centre – went through at 35+mph on road bike sat up + got a big flash from camera.

radler
    Free Member

got waved done by a copper at the bottom of orsett hill. he clocked me and a mate doing 36mph in a thirty. we spoke to him and ha asked if we were aware how fast that was and that we should be wearing helmets. we said sorry and went back up the hill. we then gave it full gas and went back down in full tuck mode. the copper shouted out “39!”.

we were 14 or so at the time. nothing happened, he was a nice copper – all smiles.

got stopped in germany once riding at 48kmph in a 30kmph urban area. coppers were real pissed off and wanted my driving license. told them i didn’t drive and refused to get my wallet out. they gave me a talking to in broken english about german traffic laws and let me off.

PePPeR

Done it on the run into Brighton on the L2B, There’s a pub opposite and there was a huuuugggeeee cheer!

Olly
    Free Member

the copper shouted out “39!”

excellent

i didnt think cyclists had enough mass to set them off.
    i want a go!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Yes, down the Avenue in Southampton on a fully faired, long wheelbase, under-seat steering recumbent….!

That’s impressive which part of the Avenue? Isn’t it a 40 limit so the gatso goes off at 45ish? Or is there a 30 limit along there? I don’t get past the Cowherds so I’m not sure on the limit further into town. 😀

jonb
    Free Member

speeding in a car is wrong, but it’s ok on a bike?

/troll

bomberman
    Free Member

is the smiley face warning a 30mph thing or do they use it for different limits? i’ve set the one down copley hill off on my mtb 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jonb – Member

speeding in a car is wrong, but it’s ok on a bike?

/troll

Speeding is cool on a bike

simon_g

Been meaning to try out the camera on the hill going down to Archway, past the suicide bridge. 40 must be easily do-able before the 30mph camera!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, down the Avenue in Southampton on a fully faired, long wheelbase, under-seat steering recumbent….

I always thought the one on Maybray King Way going downhill from Bitterne would be a good one.

njee20
    Free Member

Did it going down into Fernhurst in West Sussex, 2 of us (bigger target, more likely to go off?) doing about 52 in a 40.

radler
    Free Member

copper had a radar gun thingy. this was before cameras were everywhere.

Sandwich

Captain Flash, a recumbent, time for you to sit on your own and think about what you said 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Once got pulled over coming down off Hampstead; coppers said I was doing 42mph, according to their speedo. 😀 They were pretty decent about it, just warned me of the dangers of riding so fast, in what was in fact a 30mph zone. They were quite impressed, tbh.

Only cam I’ve set off, is the one at the southern entrance of the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Which is 20mph, so nowt that impressive.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Tried and failed in Saltford (Bath) – was deffo well over 30 as I started to considerably drop the cars slowing down for it. Rode right in the middle of the markings, nothing. 😥

trb
    Free Member

I can set off one of the smiley 30mph flashy signs quite easily, coming down off the ridgeway into a village with 30mph limit, I can be doing over 40 without too much effort at the speed limit signs but am generally hard on the brakes at that point in self preservation mode.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I am right in thinking that speed limits only apply to motorized transport!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

Yes, down the Avenue in Southampton on a fully faired, long wheelbase, under-seat steering recumbent….

I always thought the one on Maybray King Way going downhill from Bitterne would be a good one.

I keep trying on that one but each time i hit a head wind just as you go under the bridge.

Flash where on the avenue is the camara? i Know that it is 30 from just past the Cow HErds but can’t think of a camara down there.

I have hit just under 40 just up before the whinchester road roadabout before now.

mrchrispy

you cant get done for speeding on the bike (been a few thread on this in the past) that rule only applies to motorized vehicles, they can however have you for “cycling furiously” or something along those lines.

there is a camera on the way outta chorlton i usually try and do…draft a car and them pull out and sprint for the light. not managed it yet but one day…..one day i tells ya!

Hairychested
    Free Member

In Richmond Park the Met officers have speed gun and they use them against cyclists – the latest according to Kingston Council.

ciron
    Free Member

cycling furiously

What if you’re freewheeling?

duckman

There is one of the SLOW DOWN!non smiley faces just before Montrose,at the foot of a mile long hill. Even if I have been chewing headwind all the way it just seems proper to try to get it to light up.

Pook

that one in Roterham coming into Dalton should be do-able. Not so the other way

🙁

alpin
    Free Member

got done on the fixed gear for riding above ‘schritttempo’ or ‘walking speed’ in munich back in february. wasn’t going fast, 5-7mph prehaps. the copper stopped me and i stayed on the bike trackstanding. his mate then came over and started spitting as he screamed for me to get off the bike whilst his mate – the one who stopped me – tried to calm him down.

got away without having to pay a fine by speaking english and claiming ignorance.

have often set off the red light cameras in munich. don’t have to be going fast to do that though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Theres one in Reading, coming down to the oracle roundabout from Whitley, presume its a 30 as its residential, but cant seem to get it to flash 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

PePPeR – Member

Done it on the run into Brighton on the L2B, There’s a pub opposite and there was a huuuugggeeee cheer!

i’ve had that one as well 🙂

didn’t get a cheer though 🙁

gixer.john
    Free Member

Keep trying to set of one on the A34 near Cannock, go past it about 40mph(in a 30mph limit) but the bugger refuses to flash – fun to see kids in the back of motors get all excited as i catc then overtake the car.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

scruzer – im gonna give that one a pop tonight!

MussEd
    Free Member

do it in a Fire Engine quite often, no-one cheers?

meehaja
    Free Member

Tried so many times, but a lot of the cameras here in Leeds don’t work.. my Grandad got convicted of “cycling furiously” when he was younger and had to pay a quite subsantial fine for the time (he reckond equivilant of about £50 now money). I would LOVE to have that show up on my CRB check every year!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Speed Camera Action!’ is closed to new replies.