Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Speed awareness course – what to expect?
  • xcgb
    Free Member

I have been bad, caught doing 39mph in a 30, have been offered a speed awareness course in lieu of points
    i know it’s 4 hours 😯 but have no idea whats gonna occur

anyone done one? will it be full of surly 17yr olds saying whatever at every opportunity, or full of shamed middle aged blokes like me!

KennySenior
    Free Member

There’s been a few threads on this over the years, and the general consensus seems to be that if you go with an open mind you can learn a lot and be a safer driver afterwards, but that if you’re a cock who knows everything and approach it in that way you’ll still be a cock afterwards.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Expect to learn nothing unless you go in with an open mind. However, if you do go in with an open mind expect to learn lots.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    failedengineer

I did one a few weeks ago in Carlisle. I wouldn’t say it was enjoyable, but it was reasonably interesting and you’re never too old to learn a few new facts.

xcgb
    Free Member

Ok I am hoping to learn something, that was one of the reasons I opted for it, just not sure how they fill 4hours?

letmetalktomark

My wife was offered one recently for jumping a red light.

She said that for four hours the folk attending were made to feel tiny and there was a lot of finger wagging.

Seems fair to me but she said that having been on one she would take the points if offered again 😆 🙄 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually I did one and found it really patronising, didnt learn anything of use.

I was glad to avoid the points though.

The chap running it was full of himself, he spoke to everyone there like we were idiots and he was some kind of motoring god. He had been a copper for all of his life and this was his retirement job. It had made him feel superior all his working life to the point he couldt relate to anyone outside that environment.

What he said was just basic stuff which almost everyone with some driving experience would know, or would be aware of.

He didnt really teach you to observe better, anticipate better and improve your driving, just reitterated the obvious.

Sure, some may have learned something new, but not everyone. Ive been riding motorcycles since the 80’s and that helps with obsvervation. I dont drive perfectly, far from it, but I was caught for speediing, not for driving like a ****.

Doing 57 in a 50 is quite different to driving at say 60 past the school. The people on the course were similar to me. Anyone who really is a **** driver is not likey to be on the course, they will get a harsher penalty.

None of what he said related to real life driving, it was just a list of whats in the highway code. I was hoping for some experienced insight/techniques/tips etc.

Hopefully your chap will be better.

alexxx
    Free Member

Just get a big list of speeding related jokes and reel them off faster than clarkson is losing his curly fro

xcgb
    Free Member

She said that for four hours the folk attending were made to feel tiny and there was a lot of finger wagging.

The chap running it was full of himself, he spoke to everyone there like we were idiots and he was some kind of motoring god. He had been a copper for all of his life and this was his retirement job. It had made him feel superior all his working life to the point he couldt relate to anyone outside that environment.

This is what concerns me, I am not good at holding my tongue in these situations!

This course is run by the AA so hopefully will be better

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine was alright. Only one cocky sod in the group thankfully.

Thought it had been valuable, but then I got done again a few months later (only the second time in 20 years!) – so perhaps the evidence indicates otherwise.

nickjb
    Free Member

This episode of Lead Balloon was repeated the other night. Quite apt.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Rln05LZy0[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Boredom and lies.

They tell you things that aren’t true…

Like speed cameras are only put in where there’s been a fatality…

‘You mean like the one in the village I lived in for 25 years?’

‘Yes, it was a policemans son that died crossing the road there’

errr…. no!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Speed awareness course – what to expect?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts