Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Specs for night riding
  • MrAgreeable

After once again having a whole entire fly eject itself from my tear duct the day after a ride, I’m thinking I really ought to look after my eyes a bit better.

I have some Endura Snapper sunglasses which are perfect in terms of fit, price and styling, and I’d love a clear equivalent for riding at night, or in overcast conditions. The cheaper clear specs all seem to be the same few basic M:Frame copies. Is there anything else out there?

Nothing too expensive as the first thing I always do with a set of sunglasses is accidentally drop them and stand on them.

jota180
    Free Member

Bolle safety specs off ebay

MrAgreeable

Good shout. I was about to post something about not wanting to look too much like a lab assistant, but are pretty normal:

ojom
    Free Member

Can’t ride with my glasses at night really. Have to wear contacts and accept mud and feaces and sticks in my eyes.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Endura Spectrum ,£15 quid, cant go wrong, lens doesnt scratch as easy as run of the mill safety glasses as soon as you clean them,

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/endura/spectrum-glasses/

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

endura stingray with clear lens fitted use them all last winter and swapped lens for either smoked lens for sunny days(about twice summer just gone) or persimmion lens the rest of the time great glasses and when these finally give up the ghost will be getting another pair 8)

MrAgreeable

Yeah those both look good and I’m very happy with my Endura specs -comfiest I’ve worn – but I’m not a huge fan of the looks and I’m a bit leery of lenses with exposed edges (tho I suspect if you hit the ground hard enough any specs can cause damage).

MrAgreeable

I did try a set of these that a mate had been given to test:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/accessories/eyewear/sunglasses/product/review-shimano-s50x-eyewear-12-46462

The anti-misting gap at the side of the lens seemed to work really well, RRP is a bit steep though and you don’t seem to be able to get them anywhere in the UK.

RustyMac

I’ve used these Bolle safety glasses, they look more like the Endura Snappers you already have.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/190720178811?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

They are quite basic but are comfy.

clubber
    Free Member

You’re welcome to try my Fakely Jawbones which come with a clear lense and cost about £15 Mr_a

binners

Always Bolle safety glasses for night riding. I favour these, but they’re all good. Mainly as they’re disposable at that price. You’ll scratch them to buggery as they’ll be constantly covered in shit, then probably leave them in the pub

rocketman
    Free Member

Goggles are pretty good if you don’t mind rocking the open face + goggles look

Use my MX Pros and Spy Optics they are both pretty good and only steam up when provoked. Not too shabby in colder weather either – no watery eyes

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

clubber – Member

You’re welcome to try my Fakely Jawbones which come with a clear lense and cost about £15 Mr_a

clubber- which jawbones come with clear lenses? worth just getting a pair for proper winter dark nights!!! if you can let me know please 🙂

i use the photochromic ones in the day, and autumn/spring nights which are fantastic, but the amount of mud and crap come winter i dont really want to get them scratched like mad, prefer just use some cheap clear lensed fakelys!

LapSteel
    Free Member

+1 for the Bolle Contour…there are clear or slightly yellow versions which are both OK at night

clubber
    Free Member

clubber- which jawbones come with clear lenses

Pretty much all of them I reckon – they all seem to come with clear, yellow and a darker one.

MrAgreeable

Bolles ordered from Fleabay, I reckon for six quid they’re worth a punt.

Goggles are pretty good if you don’t mind rocking the open face + goggles look

I’ve used my Spy goggles on snowy night rides before. They’re great for preventing ice-cream headaches but steam up instantly on the climbs. You will also get people asking whether you’re going to a bro-b-que.

deadkenny
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    Can’t ride with my glasses at night really. Have to wear contacts and accept mud and feaces and sticks in my eyes.

After the cost of smashing up prescription glasses, I never wear them full stop. Contacts always for me, but I always need regular specs for non-blind people to keep the bugs out of the eyes, having had the infected dead bug thing and grit stuck under the contacts.

If you’ve got contacts, just get any of the above recommendations with a clear or night lens.

To add mine, I’ve been using Madison D’arcs for some time, £30-ish with three interchangeable lenses including clear. Only downside is the lenses scratch easily, though you can get replacement parts cheap.

Yellow ones are usually better in low light for a bit more definition and brighten up a dull day, but no good in the dark. I know with skiing they use blue ones for night skiing under floodlights though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

clubber – Member

clubber- which jawbones come with clear lenses

Pretty much all of them I reckon – they all seem to come with clear, yellow and a darker one.

clubber – i must be blind i cant see any on ebay with clear lenses? any links please?

rocketman
    Free Member

You will also get people asking whether you’re going to a bro-b-que.

One of the reasons I only wear them under cover of darkness!

clubber
    Free Member

Oscillate – search on “3 lens glasses”

jfletch
    Free Member

Oscillate – search on “3 lens glasses”

Hypothetically… if I had bought some glasses of eBay and were supprised they looked remarkably similar to Oakleys, they would have come with 3 set of lenses, Tinted, Mirrored and Yellow.

I would find that the yellow ones are fine for night riding once you get used to them.

glupton1976
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

Used the Bolles for the first time this weekend, and I was well impressed. Good coverage, good optically, comfy to wear and didn’t mist up even on hideous 1:5 climbs. They’re cheap-looking, and have a letter printed on each lens but neither of these things are noticeable when you’re wearing them. I dropped them on the course but some kind-hearted person found them and handed them in. Recommendo.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Specs for night riding’ is closed to new replies.