Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Specialized tyres
  • widge34
    Free Member

I want to buy a new Specialized Storm tyre as I was very impressed with my last storm which is now worn out.

Is there much difference between the Control and S Works version? Is it just the weight and the sidewall thickness?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Visit your local Specialized dealer, buy one of each & find out for yourself?

I heard they do a 28 day returns policy on most things, like helmets & saddles, sure it’s the same for tyres.

widge34
    Free Member

Havnt really got a dealer close enough to do that.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Bummer 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve tried both control and s works versions of purgatorys. S works were too light in the sidewalls for me, control are much better. Spesh tyres are awesome, purgs are best all round tyre for SW Scotland that I have ever tried.

Northwind will be along in a minute as he is a fellow spesh tyre drum beater!.

chiefgrooveguru

Control is tougher, S-Works is lighter. I’d go for the former unless saving a few grams will win you a race (at the risk of pinch flats). It’s not like the Control ones are heavy.

widge34
    Free Member

I have a S Works Storm which is now worn. Out of all the rear tyres i have tried, the Storm is my Favourite. Managed to find a Storm Control for £24 so will go for that. Cheers Guys.

JohnnyPanic

Controls are tubeless ready. Not sure if the S works are.

iainc

I bought purgatory controls after nobeer reccomended them. Much as it pains me , he is absolutely right 🙂 brilliant all round tyres

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

purgatory control tubeless ftw 8)

Simon

Used lots of Control casing Spesh tyres with no problems. Used one S-Works Eskar and ripped the sidewall on its first ride. Control all the way now.

colournoise

Control unless you’re super light and super careful.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The S-Works aren’t ‘that’ delicate IMHO, I ran a pair of Ground Control’s in that flavour on my 29’er HT and they were flawless, that bike was raced on all sorts of terrain too.

There may be some differences in compounds, but don’t quote me on that. Either way there’s next to no difference in weight or longevity / toughness as far as I’m concerned.

ChrisI

Run both S-Works and Control Purgatory and Ground Control. S-Works are lighter due to thinner side wall. I found S-Works were good when run with tubes but now I’ve gone tubeless, the rear tyre tends to fold under in hard corners so have to run more pressure. Control tyre is fine tubeless so will be using Controls from now on.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Do pugatorys work well on the front and the rear or are they more wheel specific
    Cheers
    Steve

iainc

Hi
    Do pugatorys work well on the front and the rear or are they more wheel specific
    Cheers
    Steve

they are great both ends IMO

rewski
    Free Member

I ran Spesh Storm Control 2bliss all winter, very impressed, pretty much the same tread as Bonty Mud X, but they seem to roll faster than Mud X for me. Piece of cake to fit tubeless with track pump too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Specialized tyres’ is closed to new replies.