Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Specialized Turbo Kenevo SL Comp review
  • Ben_Haworth

The Specialized Turbo Kenevo SL is a fabulous trail bike. It’s not a bike just for self-shuttling. This bike loves it out on the hills. Brand: Special …

By ben_haworth

Get the full story here:

Specialized Turbo Kenevo SL Comp review

sargey2003

so how long was the too-long stem? (couldn’t find that detail in the text)

Ben_Haworth

I measured it at 55mm.

doomanic

We did experience the piggyback battery cable being disconnected (which cuts off the whole system power) a few times when the bike received a big impact.

I’ve got about 1500km on my KSL and never had this, which end came unplugged?

xora

that cable is a complete bawache to remove. I think you did not attach it right or its faulty.

bowglie

I recently bought an ex-demo KSL Comp, and I think the review is pretty much spot-on. It took me three or four rides to get the set-up dialled and get familiar with the power modes, but I’m now really liking the bike – and I agree with Ben that it’s a more versatile bike than its suspension travel and ‘enduroness’ might suggest.

The guys at the LBS had done a great job of servicing the bike, and after sticking a smaller 200mm rotor on the front, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the boggo Code R brakes. The main set-up issue I had was the Rhythm fork, which I found lacked mid stroke support. I’m about 85kg, so gradually increased number of tokens to five (out of 6 max) and, again I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how good the fork is. I almost bought a Perf Elite 38 to replace it, but am not going to bother.

My bike is an S4 and stem is 55mm, and yes, it is a bit too long. I’m just over 6’ with 34” inside leg, and I’ve just managed to wrangle a One-Up 180mm dropper into the frame (works ok in the workshop, but I’ve not test ridden it yet!).

I’ve held off buying a range extender, as I wanted to see if the onboard battery would be ok for my usual rides (typically 30km-ish 1000m alt gain) – so far, so good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Hypothetically, what size would someone 5’11 suit? S3 or S4. 185mm reach on the S4 sounds quite long. Just out of interest…

doomanic

Either. I’ve got 3 mates on S4s, they range from 5’8″ to 6’2″… I’m 5’9″ (and a quarter) on an S3 but I’ve got short legs.

monkeyboyjc

For those that own Kenevo Sl’s – how does it compare on rides where your mates are on full fat ebikes?

Most of my mates have gone high torque full power but I really like the look of the kenevo sl…..

weeksy

Based upon yesterday, not very well. I don’t know the exact model a bloke we were out with was in, but it’s 18kg or so, SL model. He struggled big time. I rode it and it’s like riding my Liv at 2/5 dots. It’s ok and it gets you up stuff, but it’s a gentle hand on the back, rather than a shove.
    Downhill it wasn’t noticeably better that I’d pick an SL over a full fat.

I liked the idea of it and it was deffo worth trying. But if your mates are getting on with it, you’ll need better fitness. I held the group, but using determination rather than power

CheesybeanZ

Hypothetically, what size would someone 5’11 suit?

I’m 5’10 on an S4 with a 42.5mm stem. Feels a lot better than with the standard 50mm.

We use the range extender on both our bikes and never had a cable come loose.

Our regular riding mates have full power bikes and we are noticeably slower on the ups and I’m way fitter than one of them .

monkeyboyjc

Tbf I’d mainly be using it at bike parks like windhill, fod and only the occasional route ride. My mates & I were all at a similar fitness level, but now they all have ebikes 🤷‍♂️😏. I’m keeping my xc fat bike for regular local xc rides. This would very much be a park bike.

weeksy

Yesterday’s Peak ride does highlight the difference more than somewhere like fod of Wind hill would yes.

monkeyboyjc

This is my thinking – it’s quite rare that we go for longer hilly rides, much more likely to meet up for a small loop at FoD followed by DH session. Windhill is very much for the winch up/catch up, as I’m currently only doing half the laps of others. BPW would possibly be an acception which I could see being an issue as some (I) would uplift and others may eeb up.

Seems to be an ideal bike for the downs and a helping hand on the ups which suits me more than a full ebike at the moment. I’m also quite worried if I went full ebike, my xc bike would never be used 😂

HobNob
    Free Member

For those that own Kenevo Sl’s – how does it compare on rides where your mates are on full fat ebikes?

It doesn’t, in short. You need to turbo to run alongside Tour on the Bosch Smart system & your ride will be over in about 4/500m of vert.

It’s more aligned to a very fit normal bike rider – local in our group who races Expert XC & can still rip down hills rides at a pace thats somewhere between Trail & Turbo on the KSL.

Also was a victim of the cable coming loose on mine & it switching off. Not a common issue, but we were doing DH runs at Dunkeld, so it was fairly long, sustained rough stuff.

CheesybeanZ

It’s ok and it gets you up stuff, but it’s a gentle hand on the back, rather than a shove.

This ^^^

monkeyboyjc

Mmmmm 🤔 gives me something to think about… Thanks

FarandAway

RE disconnecting. Need to give the ‘bike end’ some heft ie. make sure it’s well pushed it and properly locked. Thanks to Biketreks, Grizedale for the advice.

SirHC

For those that own Kenevo Sl’s – how does it compare on rides where your mates are on full fat ebikes

Golfie on Sunday, mate on his Trek rail in tour, I’m on my ksl. 22miles and 5200ft in 3hrs moving time, I still had 20% left and he was out of battery dropping into the last descent. I was on a range extender plus main battery and in 50/60 assistance.

If you all have sls and lightweights, then there isn’t an issue. If your mates are on full fats and are wanting to charge up the hills, then you either need to be fitas**** or you will be burning through the battery fast.

Our group has a mix of both, one of the full fats was moaning that we are slow up the hills. If we want to ride as a group he will just have to wait. No difference to the pre eeeb days!!!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Full fat ebikes are much different. I tried a fair few on the Whinlatter demo day. Cube/yeti and the Orbea Rise. Ended up with Levo SL.
    Took SL out for the first time on Saturday. Lakes ride, 33 miles with 4500ft of climbing.
    I couldnt believe just how good it pedals with the power off, so we probably only used “Trail” on the climbs towards the end of the ride. Used turbo once to get up a really steep grassy climb, but otherwise a great bike for just a little bit of assistance when you need it.
    Finished with 4 bars of power still left, so probably good for another 10-15 mile.
    Only downside was the rear tyre got a pinch flat, so probably going to swap out to something a bit more burly.
    Otherwise great bike.

mudfish

I’m well over 60 and really enjoying the natural feel of the KSL. I was lucky enough to borrow a full power Levo for a week but I thought it ran away with me, I prefer to stand to pedal and thus need something to “pedal against” – the full Levo had to be turned right down in in Mission Control app settings to work well like that.
    So why cart that extra weight around.
    I also felt it ran on approaching obstacles and had a slight activation delay, I guess you get used to that but tech singletrack getting the front over roots was not fun to me. Sit, pedal and plough through everything isn’t my bag.
    The KSL is perfect for standing pedalling.
    Do I miss anything about the full Levo, well the “shuttle” mode was a VERY easy way to get up those boring fire roads. But, hey, they are also an excuse to get fitter.
    Even on the KSL I rarely use Turbo and even so have it turned down in Mission Control app to 80%
    Riding with the full power crew? I dont.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve had one 8 months now, done just over 1400 miles.

Love it.  Last night I rode at Thornielee in the Tweed Valley (12 miles & 3000ft, used 50% of the internal battery) with a fast & fit lad who’s 20 years younger.  Going down it’s a brilliant enduro bike, going up it enables me to ride at his pace (using Eco ‘30%’).

Rode Sunday with a load of full-fats, needed to use Trail ‘50%’ and the extender – they were the ones worrying about battery consumption, not me.  But yes, on fireroad climbs I can’t stay with them at full pace, and then they realise that they can’t use that pace and expect to manage 5,000ft…

A question for fellow riders, anyone got shorter cranks – looking for 155-160’s to replace the 170’s as I’m pedal clipping a lot (and no, I don’t want to raise the ride-height)?

mudfish

I think shorter cranks are a good idea. Try getting them for an SL tho. I’ve been waiting since last September. Upgrade are now saying October.
    Maybe the SL has wider Q factor but for some reason it does seem to gather more crabs than my G1 with same static BB height. I’m not sitting pedalling though rough stuff so that’s not it. Luckily I’m pretty much used to it.

Hope are considering making an M30 E crank they told me. They are into 145 now! Wow that’s short.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.