Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Specialized Tricross Comp – Anyone ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

ok – i've decided to go for the specialized tricross comp, due to my commute involving very rough pavement and i can also introduce light off-road on my way home 😀
    anyone got one and got an opinion ?

tia

ton

i had one, sold it after a month, used it for a weeks tour.
    terrible front brake judder, to the point of being the most danger ous bike i have ever ridden.
    there is a cure, but why the **** should a bike be sold with a defect.

my opinion only..

ton

get a on one 29r with carbons and roadiefy it….

trail_rat
    Free Member

on the other hand my Specialized tricross single is a very comfy bike and copes well with on and off road – have taken it down the walkers path from bachnagairn to loch muick and down the descent back into glen doll

also done a 250k audax on it in fixed wheel mode at the weekend !

fine bike thats a good all rounder

the_lecht_rocks

trail_rat : would it be suitable for 100 mile of road run on a sunday up to the Lecht and back for example ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the comp would ….. my Single no …..

Its comfy and its solid. a hoot to ride off road.

Fork looks a bit "special" mind …. but seems to work.

njee20
    Free Member

They're weighty!

Think mine was about 27lbs, but they're very tough, will handle more than your average CX bike. I know a chap who used to do 5-6ft drops on his and it was fine!

trail_rat
    Free Member

wont deny that – but i run mine with a pannier on alot so dont notice it 😉

the_lecht_rocks

njee – 27lbs……….seriously ????????
    i'm reading @ 21lbs, possibly less for the 09 model……

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sold 2 09 comps and they are no where near the weight of my Merida – heavier by a mile they might be just this side of 25 – didnt think to weigh them.

Ps Im probably going to be living up aberdeen way as of next weekend so drop me a mail if you fancy guiding me round kirkhill. Drove past it on monday im literally a mile as the crow flys from my front door.

the_lecht_rocks

Ps Im probably going to be living up aberdeen way as of next weekend so drop me a mail if you fancy guiding me round kirkhill. Drove past it on monday im literally a mile as the crow flys from my front door.

nae sweat 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Mate has one and uses it for touring and commuting. We did the Hebrides last year and it was faultless.

Nice finish, reasonable componentry. Weighs around 24-25lbs I'd say (certainly a whole lot lighter than my Sutra).

If it had disks, I'd probably have one.

dmiller
    Free Member

get a on one 29r with carbons and roadiefy it….

How "road" would this be? Anyone tried it?

Because I was thinking of doing that myself for a commuter…

the_lecht_rocks

it'd cost more to get the on one than a speccy in the sales……

djglover
    Free Member

Very heavy, and yes the breaks are a mare too.

the_lecht_rocks

djg – how heavy ? 21lbs i am seeing on the reviews…….

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I've got a tricross sport. 10.6kg. 50 mile comute. Great bike no probs.

djglover
    Free Member

my old mans is a sport I think, but its heavier than my whyte 905

metalheart
    Free Member

I think they are gopping.

You can come out with me and Scotty on saturday: Tour d'Insch…

😉

the_lecht_rocks

metalheart – i'd love to but won't be getting it until next weekend 🙁

the_lecht_rocks

anyone else got an opinion on the tricross comp ?

tia

mangoridebike

had one of the first ones, and suffered the same brake judder as Ton, I'm not quite his size but still above avg at 15.5 stone. It may be that heavier riders will suffer more from this than lighter ones.

It was not very confidence inspiring and I ended up selling it. It was fun to ride on road and I enjoyed taking it offroad too, but having lost faith in the brakes I had to get rid of it.

the_lecht_rocks

mango – cheers.
    i'm 13 stone kitted up at 6' tall. going for a 56cm.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Can't comment directly on the comp as I've got the sport, however my bike came with mini-V's on it and I've not had any judder problems with those.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Can either the single speed or the geared take full mudgaurds?

mangoridebike

tlr – I' the same height as you and had a 56" also, the fit was great, it was just the brakes that were the issue. I did contemplate changing from the canti's to mini V's but decided I would be happier with more robust forks and discs.

the_lecht_rocks

it's mostly for pavement / road use with the odd excursion offroad (10% of the time max) on my commute.
    not too sure i'd need disc power on a tarmac commute……

epicsteve
    Free Member

The geared sport can take full mudguards and a rack – I've got them fitted to mine:

the_lecht_rocks

epicsteve – what sort of distances / terrain do you cover weekly on the tricross ?

iainc

A mate has the sport and I have a jake the snake – mine weights about 24 and the tricross sport a bit more, so I would have guessed the comp would be similar to the Kona. The 09 Spesh's have tektro canti's which are pretty good and you can buy a hanger fix like this to sort out any judder :

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1025996/Push-Kona-Design-Front-Hanger.html

We both use road tyres for anything over 25 miles etc and this makes the bike a slightly slower more comfy road bike IMO. very versatile piece of kit.

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve – what sort of distances / terrain do you cover weekly on the tricross ?

Not an awful lot at the moment! We moved office and the new one is under 4 miles from home (only one was 10). Since we moved I've tended either to commute using one of my mountain bikes, detouring into the Pentlands on the way, or alternatively not commute by bike and instead go for a MTB ride in the morning or evenings.

karnali
    Free Member

single can take full gurads and rack had them on mine its ohe classifieds now though as i bough a geared dolan cross bike, also takes full rack and guards and at 650 with full tiagra groupset i tnk a better buy than the tricross comp and also lighter, may be worth a look

the_lecht_rocks

karnali – are you on about the speccy singlecross ?

polarisandy
    Free Member

had you looked at the merida cyclocross, similar price..?

the_lecht_rocks

my mate does merida – seeing him on sunday, cheers polaris 😀

geoffj

I like Spesh bikes, but I just don't like the look of the Tricross. I'm assured that it is a very versatile work horse, but it's just a bit boring looking IMHO.

This is much nicer

metalheart
    Free Member

TLR – YGM(@home)

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

full mudguards and racks on a single with enough clearance to get the wheel out

Have 40-14 fixed on one side and 40:21 free on other side and the dropouts have enough length to do both ratios no bother !

the_lecht_rocks

bought a Tricross Comp last week.
    a 2009 for £899…..Bargaintastic……..
    took it out for a blast today – 35 miles of road and light offroad – what an incredible machine…..
    no fork judder, supremely compliant on the rough B roads round here and brilliant on forest paths on my way back home…
    downsides are of course V brakes (although i've set them up nicely), the saddle's not brilliant and the headset looks difficult to service.
    all the eyelets for racks / guards and the zerts thingies really perform……
    a genuine bargain – thanks to mcconvey cycles for their cheap price and excellent delivery.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Salsa Las Cruces (if you can still get hold of one)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Tricross Comp – Anyone ?’ is closed to new replies.