Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Specialized SPD shoes – any other brands that come with a varus wedge stock?
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

My Specialized 2FO ClipLite shoes are nearing the end of their life, so I’m beginning to look around for a replacement. I’ve been using Specialized shoes for years, as I’ve found that the built-in lateral tilt – AKA the ‘varus wedge’ – just works for my flat feet. Clipless shoes from all other brands that I’ve tried to date have given me knee aches, which meant playing around with various insoles and wedges to get them to work right for me. I’m wondering whether it’s just Specialized that uses this varus wedge stock, or do any other brands do it also?

qwerty
    Free Member

Is that the thing that’s inbuilt to the insole?

If so Specialized do a range of insoles offering various ranges of support purchasable separately, so any shoe could be adapted.

susepic

Used to use BG shoes, but none would fit when replacing so changed to shimano.
    Wanted an insole but wasn’t sure which color BG insole i would need. Does anyone know how to work that out?
    So instead i bought a Giro insole with adjustable height arch support so i could try different levels of support and work out which was best.
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giro-X-Static-Supernatural-Footbed-Fit-Kit_83491.htm

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Is that the thing that’s inbuilt to the insole?

If so Specialized do a range of insoles offering various ranges of support purchasable separately, so any shoe could be adapted.

You can just buy the varus wedges separately and use them on other shoes (I did with mavic shoes)

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clothing/footbeds/specialized-body-geometry-internal-shoe-wedges-varus-orange__374457?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=61316-9002&gclid=CjwKCAjw9aiIBhA1EiwAJ_GTSkp2WEmOuJf-uuFD60caK2MaRr0ktT5zcAGbB9mNNPVWHxWjHzOWgxoCQeMQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually tried both the Specialized BG insoles and varus wedges to get a pair of Giro shoes to fit. If I recall correctly, I stuck with the Specialized insoles, but ended up giving up on the varus wedges – they would move around, took a fair bit of space up in the toe box, and you could feel them in there. Instead, I ended up fitting special wedges underneath the cleats (can’t remember where I bought them, it’s been a while) to get the right fit. Still, it ended up being a lot of trail-and-error (plus a fair amount of money) to get the fit right.

I’m very surprised that no one else adopts Specialized’s shoe construction approach. After all (and excuse me if this turn out to be a BS statistic), the majority of the population overpronates (i.e. is flat footed), so it would make perfect sense!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Deleted after rereading your last post.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 I use BG insoles & wedges in Giro shoes.

I even have the insoles in my trekking trainers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Specialized SPD shoes – any other brands that come with a varus wedge stock?’ is closed to new replies.