Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Specialized Sawtooth-avoid!!
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

Hey folks,  been having a great time in my Pinnacle Arkose 4 that I bought on the CTW scheme in the summer.

I didn’t get on with the Riddler tyres, so on the store’s (Evans) recommendation, I bought some Sawtooths that I set up tubeless.

Two rides later both tyres failed simultaneously, splitting horizontally across the thread on a normal gravel ride. Suspecting a fault,  Evans replaced them.

For a couple of months they’ve been fine,  but the other night I had one fail in exactly the same way, with the rear going today in exactly the same way!

It seems that the tread picks up and holds small stones, and all it takes is it to be a sharp flinty one and the tyre is history. The tread is much finer than other tyres like the Nanos I’ve replaced them with.

I’ll contact Evans again to let them know they’re unfit for gravel use (I’ve never had anything like this issue in 40 years of riding). 4 identical failures in 600 miles of riding!!

I don’t expect a refund but I hope no-one else  wastes their cash on them like I did.

tomhoward

For balance, mine have been brilliant for the last 2 years. Ridden on and off road commuting. Not tubeless though.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Okay,  perhaps they’re just unsuitable for tubeless use…

jameso

It seems that the tread picks up and holds small stones,

Had the same problems with Vee Speedsters. Small square recesses were perfect for picking up tiny flint or glass chips and they flatted almost every ride. It’s a tread feature I avoid now. Smooth or raised treads only. Some of that is about where I ride though, Chilterns flint kill some tyres fast and others last years w/o issue.

What didn’t you like about the Riddlers? I like them, mostly ridden the 45s though.

scaredypants

Flint is a bastard and lots of tyres are useless in flinty areas, either tread pattern or just the nature of the carcass.  Schwalbe road & mtb tyres seem to suffer a lot on my bikes (new forest area).

I’d be disappointed in your Evans shop if they’re in the same locality as where you do your riding though, as they should know what’s what.

hols2
    Free Member

both tyres failed simultaneously, splitting horizontally across the thread

If they literally failed at the same time, it sounds like you rode over something sharp that damaged them. Solution is to either buy tougher tyres or not ride over sharp things.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@hols2 I know that.  I rode down a flinty track. Both tyres clearly not up to the job. They’re marketed as having extra puncture protection. Clearly doesn’t work!

I would have thought I was unlucky other than the fact that the two replacement tyres failed in the identical way on two separate rides.

Utterly crap tyres TBH unless you’re on dusty or road surfaces.

kerley
    Free Member

Okay,  perhaps they’re just unsuitable for tubeless use…

I ran them tubeless and they were great, not a single puncture or any other problems.  Rolled well too.  Possibly the best tyres I have used for toughness, would highly recommend them.

And I ride in the New Forest which as pointed out up there is very flinty (I have even punctured a Marathon Plus!)

mikertroid
    Free Member

@kerley yes they’re great when they’re full of air!

Perhaps the grade of flint on Cranborne Chase is just too much for them! 😂

kerley
    Free Member

Mine went straight up (easiest tubeless ever installed) and stayed up.  Perhaps you are just very unlucky as reviews of them seem to be the opposite of what you have experienced.

mikertroid
    Free Member

…….perhaps Evans had a bad batch??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Sawtooth-avoid!!’ is closed to new replies.